Bhardwaj at the 2013 Tour of Alberta
|Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta for Edmonton-Ellerslie|
March 3, 2008 – May 5, 2015
|Preceded by||Bharat Agnihotri|
|Succeeded by||Rod Loyola|
|Born||1959 (age 58–59)|
|Political party||Progressive Conservative|
Naresh Bhardwaj (born 1959) is a Canadian politician, who was elected in the 2008 provincial election to represent the electoral district of Edmonton-Ellerslie in the Legislative Assembly of Alberta. He is a member of the Progressive Conservatives. and was Associate Minister of Persons with Disabilities in the cabinet of Jim Prentice.
Bhardwaj ran 2012 provincial election as an incumbent PC candidate, winning a second term on April 23, 2012. He did not run in the 2015 general election.
Bhardwaj has been accused of offering a $10,000 bribe to prevent other candidates from challenging him in an election. Rachel Notley, leader of the Alberta New Democratic Party, requested that Bhardwaj step down and submit to an investigation. Although cleared by an internal PC party investigation, Bhardwaj remained the subject of a criminal investigation. In March 2015 he withdrew his name as a candidate for the May 5, 2015 general election.
|Alberta general election, 2008: Edmonton-Ellerslie|
|Progressive Conservative||Naresh Bhardwaj||4,581||41.90%||10.07%|
|New Democratic||Marilyn Assheton-Smith||1,891||17.30%||−4.85%|
|Wildrose Alliance||Krista Leddy||471||4.31%||−5.59%|
|Social Credit||Cheryl Ullah||62||0.57%||−1.75%|
|Rejected, spoiled and declined||81|
|Eligible electors / Turnout||31,317||35.17%|
|Progressive Conservative gain from Liberal||Swing||5.51%|
|Source: The Report on the March 3, 2008 Provincial General Election of the Twenty-seventh Legislative Assembly. Elections Alberta. July 28, 2008. pp. 290–293.|
|Alberta general election, 2012: Edmonton-Ellerslie|
|Progressive Conservative||Naresh Bhardwaj||5,677||42.97||+1.07|
|New Democratic||Rod Loyola||2,114||16.00||-1.30|
|Alberta Party||Chinwe Okelu||523||3.96|
|Total valid votes||13,213||98.83|
|Rejected, spoiled, and declined||157||1.17|
|Progressive Conservative hold||Swing||-9.64|
- "Ellerslie". The Edmonton Journal. February 28, 2008. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
54, teacher (his age and occupation)
- "Biography for Mr. Naresh Bhardwaj". Legislative Assembly of Alberta. Retrieved April 30, 2009.
- Kleiss, Karen (13 March 2015). "Alberta government minister accused of offering $10,000 bribe should 'step aside,' NDP leader says". Edmonton Journal. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Rusnell, Charles, Jennie. "LuAnne Sirdiak abruptly leaves Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council". CBC News.
- "MLA Naresh Bhardwaj won't run while bribery allegations unresolved". CBC News. March 23, 2015. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
|This article about an Alberta politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|