Naresh Trehan at the World Economic Forum on India 2012
August 12, 1946 |
|Education||Modern School, Barakhamba Road|
|Alma mater||King George's Medical College
American Board of Surgery
American Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award
Dr Naresh Trehan is an Indian cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeon. After graduating from King George Medical College, Lucknow, India, he went on to practice at New York University Medical Center Manhattan USA from 1971 to 1988. After a successful career in the US, he returned to India and started Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre. At present, he serves as the chairman and managing director and chief cardiac surgeon of MedantaTM-The Medicity. He has served as personal surgeon to the President of India since 1991, has received numerous awards, including the Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award.
Education and Career
In 1963 he got admission in King George’s Medical College in Lucknow.
Trehan was the founder, executive director and chief cardiovascular surgeon of Escorts Heart Institute and Research Center (EHIRC), which opened on Okhla Road, Delhi in 1988. Presently, Trehan is the Founder Chairman of Medanta - The Medicity one of the largest multi-specialty hospital at Gurgaon, Haryana established in 2009. Trehan has been president of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery.
As chairman of Global Health Private Ltd., Trehan is overseeing the building of an integrated health care facility in Gurgaon, India, currently referred to as MediCity. MediCity will spread across 43 acres (170,000 m2) of land. Collaborating with Siemens and other financial partners, MediCity aims to combine modern medicine with traditional medicine and holistic therapies.
He was born left-handed but due to stigma, his Hindi tutor broke his left hand to force Trehan to write with the right hand.
He first met his wife when she was just 16 and fell in love. In September 1969 the 2 married and moved to USA in November. They have two daughters. His wife, Madhu Trehan, is a journalist and writer.
- Padma Bhushan Award by President of India in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Medicine in 2001.
- Padma Shri Award by President of India in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Surgery in 1991.
- Doctor of Science Honoris Causa at the "18th Convocation of the Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi" in March 1996, for recognition of his attainment and position of eminence and contributions made by him for the country and the people of India.
- Doctor of Science Honoris Causa is conferred on the occasion of the convocation of the Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Lucknow, 4 March 2004.
- Honorary Fellow Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Melbourne, Australia in 2002.
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Award in the services category for yeoman services to the healthcare industry.
- Doctor of Science, being conferred by King George’s Medical University, Lucknow, on 22 January 2007.
- Dr. B. C. Roy Award from the Medical Council of India in 2002.
- India Today magazine ranked him #35th in India's 50 Most powerful people of 2017 list.
- Dr. Naresh Trehan Profile
- "Magic of Medanta". Financial Express. Jul 19, 2010. Retrieved Apr 23, 2013.
- MediConnect Closes Major Funding Round, Adds Key Members to Its Board of Directors
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "B.C. Roy awards for 55 doctors". The Hindu. 2 July 2008. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- "India's 50 powerful people". India Today. April 14, 2017.