|Alma mater||King George's Medical College (MBBS)|
|Known for||Founder of Medanta|
Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award
Dr. B. C. Roy Award
Naresh Trehan (born 12 August 1946) is an Indian cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeon. After graduating from King George Medical College, Lucknow, India, he went on to practice at New York University Medical Center Manhattan USA from 1971 to 1988. He returned to India and started Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre. He serves as the chairman and managing director and chief cardiac surgeon of MedantaTM-The Medicity. He has served as personal surgeon to the President of India since 1991, has received numerous awards, including the Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award and Dr. B. C. Roy Award.
Education and career
In 1963 Dr. Trehan got admission in King George's Medical College in Lucknow. In November 1969 he moved to USA and became a first-year resident at the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia.
Trehan was the founder, director and chief cardiovascular surgeon of Escorts Heart Institute and Research Center (EHIRC), which opened on Okhla Road, Delhi in 1988. Presently, Trehan is the Founder Chairman of Medanta - The Medicity one of the largest multi-specialty hospital at Gurgaon, Haryana established in 2009. Trehan has been president of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery.
As chairman of Global Health Private Ltd., Trehan is overseeing the building of an integrated health care facility in Gurgaon, India, currently referred to as MediCity. MediCity will spread across 43 acres (170,000 m2) of land. Collaborating with Siemens and other financial partners, MediCity aims to combine modern medicine with traditional medicine and holistic therapies.
His mother was a gynaecologist and father was an ENT specialist, both of them practised in Lyallpur until the partition of India his family belonged to Sri Hargobindpur, Batala He was born left-handed but due to stigma, his Hindi tutor broke his left hand to force Trehan to write with the right hand. In September 1969 the 2 married and moved to USA in November. They have two daughters. His wife, Madhu Trehan, is a journalist and writer.
- Padma Bhushan Award by President of India in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Cardiology Medicine in 2001.
- Padma Shri Award by President of India in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Surgery in 1991.
- Dr. B. C. Roy Award from the Medical Council of India in 2002.
- India Today magazine ranked him #35th in India's 50 Most powerful people of 2017 list.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 January 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 7 October 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- About Dr. Trehan
- "Magic of Medanta". Financial Express. 19 July 2010. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- MediConnect Closes Major Funding Round, Adds Key Members to Its Board of Directors
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 March 2017. Retrieved 5 October 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "B.C. Roy awards for 55 doctors". The Hindu. 2 July 2008. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- "India's 50 powerful people". India Today. 14 April 2017.