Fakhri at the Times Of India Film Awards, 2013
20 October 1979 |
Queens, New York, USA
Nargis Fakhri (born 20 October 1979) is an American model and actress. She has appeared on America's Next Top Model and made her acting debut with the 2011 Bollywood film Rockstar. She went on to star in the Bollywood films Madras Cafe (2013), Main Tera Hero (2014), and had a supporting role in the Hollywood film Spy (2015).
Fakhri was born on 20 October 1979 in Queens, New York, the daughter of Marie and Mohammed Fakhri. Her father was Pakistani and her mother is Czech. Her parents divorced when she was six or seven years old. Her father died when she was young.
Fakhri made her Bollywood film debut playing the female lead in Imtiaz Ali's musical romantic drama Rockstar in 2011. Film critic Taran Adarsh wrote, "Nargis is a stunner as far as looks are concerned, but isn't persuasive in poignant moments", however, he praised her on-screen chemistry with co-star Ranbir Kapoor.
She starred opposite John Abraham in Shoojit Sircar's political thriller Madras Cafe (2013). Film critic Saibal Chatterjee said Fakhri "strikes the right notes", whereas Rajeev Masand called her "pleasantly competent". Later that year, she made a special appearance in the action comedy Phata Poster Nikhla Hero to perform the item number "Dhating Naach" with the film's lead actor Shahid Kapoor. Taran Adarsh commented saying Fakhri "sizzles in the dance number, matching steps with Shahid".
In 2014, Fakhri appeared alongside Varun Dhawan and Ileana D'Cruz in David Dhawan's comedy Main Tera Hero. The film was a financial success, but received mixed reviews from critics. For her performance in the film, Rohit Khilnani said that Fakhri "is not bad" and that "she fits well in this masala comedy and doesn't disappoint". Taran Adarsh however disagreed, and said though she "looks great", she needs to "polish her acting skills". The same year, Fakhri performed with Salman Khan in the item number "Yaar Na Miley" which featured in the film Kick. In a review, The Times Of India stated that she "makes the proceedings hotter with her dance moves".
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2013||Madras Cafe||Jaya Sahni|
|2013||Phata Poster Nikhla Hero||Herself||Special appearance in song "Dhating Naach"|
|2014||Main Tera Hero||Ayesha|
|2014||Kick||Herself||Special appearance in song "Yaar Na Miley"|
Special appearance in song "Kaarathil Kaarathil Chilli Iva"
Awards and nominations
|2012||Rockstar||IIFA Awards||Hottest Pair (shared with Ranbir Kapoor)||Won|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|2013||Madras Cafe||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Social/Drama Film - Female||Nominated|
|2014||Main Tera Hero||Stardust Awards||Breakthrough Supporting Performance - Female||Nominated|
- Upadhyay, Karishma (7 August 2012). "Pakistani actress Nargis Fakhri". The Telegraph. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Nargis Fakhri Rocks at 34". NDTV. 20 October 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- ""Rock Star" To Decide Career Nargis Fakhri". ukbbcnews.com. 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- "Nargis Fakhri | Pakistani actresses in Bollywood". Hindustan Times. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- The Film Street Journal - Where's Nargis Fakhri?(Article)
- Adarsh, Taran. "Rockstar". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Saibal Chatterjee (22 August 2013). "Madras Cafe movie review". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Rajeev Masand. "'Madras Cafe' review: The film meshes fact and fiction competently". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Taran Adarsh (20 September 2013). "Phata Poster Nikhla Hero". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "Box Office: Bhoothnath Returns gets a decent opening". Rediff.com. 14 April 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- Mehta, Ankita (4 April 2014). "'Main Tera Hero' Reviews Roundup: Mindless but Entertaining". International Business Times. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- Rohit Khilnani (4 April 2014). "Movie review: Main Tera Hero can be a decent DVD watch". India Today. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- Taran Adarsh (4 April 2014). "Main Tera Hero". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- "'Devil' song from 'Kick': Nargis Fakhri's hot item number". The Times Of India. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 18 August 2014.
- CR, Sharanya (1 August 2014). "Nargis Fakhri doesn’t mind to debut with item song". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Nargis Fakhri | Latest Celebrity Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- Bahuguna, Ankush. "Nargis Fakhri". MensXP.com. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Nominations for 4th Big STAR Entertainment Awards". Bollywood Hungama. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2014". Bollywood Hungama. 8 December 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nargis Fakhri.|