Nariño shown in red
|Location||Nariño Department, Colombia|
|Date||February 4 and February 11, 2009|
|Defenders||Indigenous Awá people|
The Nariño massacres (Spanish: Masacres en Nariño) were two massacres of indigenous Awá people in the Nariño Department of Colombia perpetrated by members of the rebel Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) in February 2009. A total of 27 Awás were massacred, including women and young children.
The first massacre occurred on February 4, 2009 when a FARC guerrilla group entered the village Tortugal. FARC accused the Awás of collaborating with the Armed Forces of Colombia. These accusations led to the torture and killing of seventeen Awás, eight of whom were killed with knives, according to a witness who managed to escape. The incident was denounced by Human Rights Watch and the Governor of the Nariño Department, Antonio Navarro Wolff.
The second massacre occurred a week later on February 11, when ten Awá were murdered in the Sandé shelter between Ricaurte and Guachavez, apparently because they failed to provide FARC with information about the Colombian forces operating in the area. In press releases, FARC stated that they support the indigenous, but not those who conspire against them. The National Army of Colombia only found one of the bodies. Although the Awá live in a protected area, this did not prevent armed groups from entering their territory.
- Kearns, Rick (March 13, 2009). "FARC massacre of indigenous in Columbia, more deaths and displacement". Indian Country Today. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- "Sigue sin esclarecerse matanza de indígenas" (in Spanish). El Colombiano. February 10, 2009. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- "Acnur y Human Rights Watch rechazan masacre de indígenas en Nariño" (in Spanish). Revista Semana. February 10, 2009. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- "Human Rights Watch condenó asesinato de 17 indígenas awa por las Farc" [Human Rights Watch condemned the murder of 17 indigenous Awá people by FARC] (in Spanish). El Tiempo. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- "Colombianos por la Paz exige a las Farc que aclaren su responsabilidad en masacres indígenas" (in Spanish). El Espectador. February 11, 2009. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- "Aún no encuentran cuerpos de indígenas masacrados" (in Spanish). Revista Semana. February 12, 2009. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- "Investigar la muerte de indígenas de la comunidad Awa en Nariño a manos de las Farc pidió Acnur" (in Spanish). El Tiempo. Retrieved June 21, 2010.