Narinder Nath Vohra
|Narender Nath Vohra|
|नरेंद्र नाथ वोहरा|
N. N. Vohra
|Governor of Jammu and Kashmir|
25 June 2008
|Preceded by||S.K. Sinha|
|Born||May 5, 1936|
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Narinder Nath Vohra (Hindi: नरेंद्र नाथ वोहरा ) (N. N. Vohra) (born May 5, 1936) is the current governor of the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. He took over from S K Sinha on June 25, 2008. He is the first civilian governor of Jammu and Kashmir in 18 years after Jagmohan.
Vohra was educated at Punjab and Oxford Universities, and served in the IAS between 1959 and 1994. He has served as Defence Secretary ( 21.03.1990-06.04.1993), Principal Secretary to Prime Minister I.K. Gujral in 1997-98 and was a member of the National Security Advisory Board from 1998 to 2001 when the NDA government was in power. He also headed the National Task Force on internal security and co-chaired the India-European Union Round Table in 2001. In between, he also served as director of the India International Centre and was chairman of the IDSA review committee. For his service to the nation, Vohra was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 2007.
Since February 2003 until he became the governor, Vohra had been the Indian government's interlocutor in Kashmir. As such he had been holding wide-ranging discussions with both the elected representatives in the state and also the separatists in a bid to forge a common ground for the all-round development of the state.
- Vohra, N. N.; Mathews, K. (1997). Africa, India & South-South cooperation. New Delhi: Har-Anand Publications. ISBN 9788124105030.
- Vohra, N. N.; Dixit, Jyotindra Nath (1998). Religion, politics, and society in South and Southeast Asia. Delhi: Konark Publishers in association with India International Centre. ISBN 9788122005295.
- Vohra, N. N. (1999). Culture, society, and politics in Central Asia and India. Delhi: SHIPRA Publications India International Centre. ISBN 9788175410404.
- Vohra, N. N.; et al. (2000). Issues before the World Trade Organization: India's perspective: report on a seminar held on 20 March, 1999, at the India International Centre. New Delhi: Mosaic Books, in association with India International Centre. ISBN 9788185399515.
- Vohra, N. N. (2001). Culture, democracy, and development in South Asia. New Delhi, India: Shipra Publications. ISBN 9788175410701.
- Vohra, N. N. (2002). India and East Asia: culture and society. Delhi, India: Shipra Publications. ISBN 9788175411067.
- Vohra, N. N.; Bhattacharya, Sabyasachi (2002). Looking back, India in the twentieth century. New Delhi: National Book Trust, India in association with India International Centre. ISBN 9788123737508.
- Vohra, N. N. (2003). Emerging Asia: challenges for India and Singapore. New Delhi, India: India International Centre Manohar. ISBN 9788173044847.
- Vohra, N. N. (2003). History, culture, and society in India and West Asia. Delhi, India: Shipra Publications. ISBN 9788175411234.
- Vohra, N. N. (2004). India and Australasia: history, culture, and society. Delhi: Shipra Publications. ISBN 9788175411685.
- His Excellency, Sh. Narinder Nath Vohra. Retrieved on July 9, 2008.
- Padma Vibhushan Awardees. Retrieved on July 9, 2008.
- Vohra: Just the man for Kashmir. Retrieved on July 9, 2008.
- Vohra saves J&K Govt, rescinds Amarnath land order. Retrieved on July 9, 2008.
Srinivas Kumar Sinha
|Governor of Jammu & Kashmir
|This Indian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|