||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Nermin Kamal (Nərmin Kamal) (b. 9 October 1981) is an essayist, novelist and short story writer from Azerbaijan.
Nermin Kamal is one of the most distinctive voices and most wide read female writer in contemporary literature of Azerbaijan. She widely published in literary journals and anthologies. Nermin Kamal started her literary career with poetry in the late 1990s, and as a novelist made her debut with Open, It's Me! (2010, Baku, Qanun Publishing), a postmodern novel, the best seller of 2010 in Azerbaijan, critically acclaimed, won Imadəddin Nəsimi Prize and Young Novelist RFE/RL Prize for debut novels.
Nermin Kamal holds BA (hons) in Philosophy and MA (D) in History of Philosophy from Baku State University. "Umberto Eco and Philosophy of Postmodernism" - her PhD thesis was published in 2008 and 2012 in Baku (Qanun Publishing). N.Kamal wrote this book while she worked as a post-graduate researcher at University of Navarra of Spain and Bologna University of Italy.
Alongside Azerbaijani, her essays and poetry appeared in many German, Russian, Turkish and Armenian literary magazines and anthologies. 2008 - she was one of twelve European writers invited to write an essay for the young.euro.connect German festival. She was among the six invited to the readings in Berlin and Munich.
She worked writer-in-residence at Kulturkontakt, Austria/Vienna in 2011.
She gave many speeches and participated in many book festivals including London, Edinburgh, Wien, Warsaw, Moscow book exhibitions and festivals.
She translated Sophie's World a novel on history of philosophy by Norwegian author Jostein Gaarder into Azerbaijani (2010).
2017, January - The essay collection (of 70 essays) by Nermin Kamal published in Baku, by Alatoran Publishing, "Küçədən Keçən Adam haqqında yazılar" (available in Azerbaijani).
2017, March - "Glückliche Wirkungen: Eine literarische Reise in bessere Welten" (German Edition)  by Ullstein Buchverlage, the anthology includes one essay by N.Kamal.
She was one of the founder members of AYO (Azad Yazarlar Ocagi) and deputy editor at Alatoran(2004-2008), it was the first independent literature magazine after the authoritarian Soviet legacy of soc-realism, which soon became the voice of a generation. Alatoran published new generation Azerbaijani writers, as well as translations from American and European literature.
She writes regular columns for BBC World Service/Azeri.
Awards and recognition
2001 - "Journalist Nermin Kamal Interviews President Bill Clinton", The Interview of the Year, "Həftə içi" Newspaper Award
2011 - "Young Novelist", Radio Liberty Azerbaijani Service's Debut Novel Prize
2010 - The first place among 67 essays at the essay competition titled "The Life and Thoughts of an Azerbaijani Woman", organized in Baku with the generous support of the Women Forum and British Embassy in Baku.
2011 - Milo Dor Stipendium, Austria/Vienna
2015 - Rafig Tagi Award
- Yaquar yerişli zaman. Almanax. 2003, Adiloğlu nəşriyyatı
- "Qadın ilk dəfə" şeir kitabı, 2006. (AYO kitabları seriyasından Rasim Qaraca tərəfindən hazırlanıb və nəşr edilib)
- "Umberto Eco və Postmodernizm fəlsəfəsi", nəzəri kitab, 2008, 2012, Qanun nəşriyyatı
- "Freiheit. Ich verstehe das Wort nicht, weil ich sie nie entbehren musste", Munich, 2009
- "Aç, mənəm", roman, 2010, Qanun nəşriyyatı
- Küçədən keçən adam haqda yazılar, Bakı, Alatoran Yayınları, 2017.
- Glückliche Wirkungen: Eine literarische Reise in bessere Welten (German Edition), 2017
- "Young Euro Connect". Young Euro Connect. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- "Azerbaijani Enlightenment", by Nermin Kamal, Deutsche Welle
- Modern Azerbaijani Anthology of Poetry Published in London
- Old World but Oil Rich in Azerbaijan, The New York Times
- Umberto Eco and Philosophy of Postmodernism. Available only in Azerbaijani and in Italian. The Summary
- Freiheit. Ich verstehe das Wort nicht, weil ich sie nie entbehren musste
- Narmin's poems, Alatoran
- - South Caucasus is a part of Europe
- - Essay on Creativity
- - A documental film, "Baku-Astana", by ZDF German TV channel, Aspekte
- Writer in Residence, Vienna, Kulturkontakt
- - Translated By, The Audio-exhibition held in Istanbul in 2011, Curated by Charles Arsène-Henry & Shumon Basar, Published by AbeBooks
|This article about an Azerbaijani writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|