|• Total||2.9 km2 (1.1 sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
Narowal (Urdu: نارووال), (Punjabi: نارووال) is a city in the northeast of the Punjab province of Pakistan. The city is the capital of Narowal District and Narowal Tehsil. It is situated on the banks of Ravi River about 4–5 km from the Indian border.
There are several theories as to the origin of the name. The most famous of them is that it was named after a Sikh landlord, Naro Singh Bajwa, who was the owner of the land before the Partition of India in 1947. The city is situated on the banks of River Ravi, about 4–5 km from Indian Border and about 50 km from the Indian-administered Kashmir.
In 1005 CE, Mahmud of Ghazni, the Turkic ruler of the Ghaznavid dynasty, established by his father, Sultan Sebuktegin, invaded and conquered the Shahis in Kabul, and followed it by the conquests of Punjab region. Later like rest of Punjab, Narowal passed on to the rule of the Delhi Sultanate and later Mughal Empire
After the decline of the Mughal Empire, the Afghans, the Marathas and later the Sikhs conquered Narowal District. The Punjabi Muslims faced no any restriction during the Sikh rule. During the period of British rule, Narowal District increased in population and importance.
The predominantly Muslim population supported Muslim League and Pakistan Movement. After the Creation of Pakistan in 1947, the minority Hindus and Sikhs migrated to India while the Muslim Punjabi refugees from India settled down in the Narowal District.
Narowal city has four union councils and its important colonies are Abubakar Pura, Rasool Pura, Islam pura, Amin Colony, Jilany colony, Jawad colony, Mumtaz colony and Mehmood colony near Railway station. Some of the prominent castes are Butt, Gujjars, Jats, Rajputs . Some old villages are also in it, like "Dodewali" and "Ransinwal" Narowal city is undergoing many mega projects like International Stadium, model railway station, city center etc.
List of educational institutions
- University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore (Narowal Campus)
- University of Gujrat, Narowal Campus
- Narowal Medical College
- City College of Technology
- Government Islamia Degree College for boys
- Government Muslim Girls College
- Government College of Commerce
- Punjab College Narowal Campus
- Narowal Institute of Technology
- Superior College Narowal Campus
- Royal College
- Govt. High School Narowal
- Narowal Public School(DPS)
- The Educators Narowal Campus
- The Foundation School
- Hassan Scholars Public School
- The Pakistan Foundation High School Nare walking
- Sahara Medical College Narowal
- Alfizan computer Institute narowal
- Government Muslim High School Narowal
- Dar-e-irqam school narowal campus
- Al-Naqeeb Science Academy Rupochack
- International Islamic University Islamabad (IIUI) Schools Narowal Campus
Notable towns and villages
- Qila Sobha Singh
- Talwandi Bhindran
- Chandarkey Rajputan
- Dhamthal*Dudhu Chak
- Ghota Fateh Garh
- Saddowala uncha
- Hari Chand Pura (added by Abdul Qadoos Butt)