|Yang Berhormat Tuan
|Member of the Perak State Legislative Assembly|
|Preceded by||Che'ri Md Daud|
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament
for Parit, Perak
|Preceded by||Mat Basir Rahmat|
|Succeeded by||Mohd Nizar Zakaria|
20 July 1950 |
Johor, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Political party||UMNO – Barisan Nasional (People's Justice Party from 25 January 2009 to 4 February 2009)|
Nasarudin Hashim (born 20 July 1950) is a Malaysian politician. A member of the Perak State Legislative Assembly, he is known for his key role in the constitutional crisis in the state in 2009. His defection from the People's Justice Party (PKR) to the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO)—days after he had defected the other way—helped cause the collapse of the Pakatan Rakyat government of which PKR was a component party.
Nasarudin was first elected to the assembly in 2004, as an UMNO member representing the seat of Parit. He was re-elected to the assembly in 2008, albeit for a different seat, Bota. In the 2008 election, the Pakatan Rakyat coalition took power in Perak, consigning Nasarudin's UMNO to opposition for the first time in the state's history. On 25 January 2009, Nasarudin announced his defection to PKR, thus boosting the Pakatan Rakyat's narrow majority in the assembly. He claimed it was a "brave" decision that had the support of his constituents. His move was followed by the defection of eight UMNO branches in his constituency. However, in early February, Nasarudin defected back to UMNO. Joined by three other Pakatan Rakyat MPs, the defection gave the UMNO-led Barisan Nasional coalition the numbers to return to government. Nasarudin said his reversal was to ensure the "stability" of government in Perak.
- Ritikos, Jane (26 January 2009). "Nasarudin is first BN rep to join Opposition". The Star. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "Nasarudin to explain his move". The Star. 29 January 2009. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- Koh, Christina (1 February 2009). "Bota branch leaders follow Nasarudin to PKR". The Star. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "Boost for Najib, blow to Anwar". New Straits Times. 8 February 2009. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "I want to see stability in Perak, says Nasarudin". The Star. 5 February 2009.
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|