Naseeb (1981 film)
|Directed by||Manmohan Desai|
|Produced by||Manmohan Desai|
|Written by||Kader Khan|
|Distributed by||Aasia Films Pvt. Ltd.|
Naseeb (Hindi: नसीब, English: Destiny) is a 1981 Bollywood action comedy film produced and directed by Manmohan Desai. It is a typical Desai film with his regular star Amitabh Bachchan and a large cast, lavish sets, memorable music and the lost and found theme. The film also stars Hema Malini, Rishi Kapoor, Shatrughan Sinha, Reena Roy, Kim, Pran, Kader Khan, Amjad Khan, Prem Chopra, Shakti Kapoor, Amrish Puri and Yusuf Khan. The music is by the Manmohan Desai regulars Laxmikant–Pyarelal.
The film was among those rare movies which crossed 1 crore per territory. There were only 13 All Time Earner movies (which crossed 1 crore per territory) before 1984, 9 of which starred Bachchan; Naseeb was one of them.
Naseeb, a story of destiny and fate, begins with a lottery ticket. A drunken man who cannot pay his tab trades: he decides to sell his ticket to the waiter, Namdev (Pran). Namdev purchases this tickt with his three friends Damu (Amjad Khan), Raghu (Kader Khan) and Jaggi (Jagdish Raj). Using a system of drawing out the highest card to decide who keeps the ticket, Jaggi wins, and the ticket stays with him. When the ticket turns out to be a winner, Damu and Raghu turn on the other two, murdering Jaggi and framing Namdev. Namdev goes on the run, but Raghu and Damu intervene and throw him over a bridge into a river. Namdev is presumed dead.
However, he is rescued by a don (Amrish Puri), and no one is aware he is alive.
Twenty years later, Damu and Raghu have used their stolen lottery money to build a fabulous hotel and make millions, becoming very successful businessmen. Damu has used a share of his money to send his youngest son, Vicky (Shatrughan Sinha), to school in England. They have even employed Namdev's oldest son Johnny (Amitabh Bachchan), Vicky's best friend, as a waiter in the hotel. By coincidence (or by fate!) Johnny and Vicky fall in love with the same beautiful singer, Miss Asha (Hema Malini). Julie (Reena Roy) is a childhood friend of Vicky's who is in love with him, but he only sees her as a friend. When Johnny discovers this, he and Julie sacrifice their own love to ensure that Vicky and Asha get together. At the same time, Johny's younger brother Sunny (Rishi Kapoor) has fallen for Asha's younger sister, Kim (Kim). Kim and Asha happen to be the daughters of Jaggi, the man Namdev supposedly murdered. Namdev returns soon after and plans to take revenge against Damu and Raghu for separating him from his sons Johnny and Sunny. The lives of all these characters become intertwined and Naseeb becomes a poignant story about love, friendship, sacrifice, deceit, revenge and, above all, destiny.
- Amitabh Bachchan .... John Jani Janardan(Johnny)
- Shatrughan Sinha .... Vicky (Vikram) (Damu's son)
- Rishi Kapoor .... Sunny
- Hema Malini .... Asha
- Reena Roy .... Julie
- Kim Yashpal .... Kim
- Pran .... Namdev (Waiter)
- Amjad Khan .... Damu (Damodhar) (Photographer)
- Kader Khan .... Raghuvir (Tanger Wala)
- Prem Chopra .... (Raghu's eldest son)
- Shakti Kapoor .... Ashok (Raghu's youngest son)
- Amrish Puri .... Don
- Lalita Pawar .... Mrs. Gomes (Julie's mother)
- Yusuf Khan .... Zabisco (Don's son)
- Jagdish Raj .... Jaggi (Asha & Kim's father) (Band Musician)
- Om Shivpuri .... Mr. K.K.
- Mukri .... Mehboob Bhai
- Shubha Khote .... Ms. Prema (School Principal)
- Jeevan .... Professor Prem (School Principal)
- Viju Khote .... Rodricks
- Asrani .... Johnny's Friend
|1||"John Johnny Janardan"||Mohammed Rafi||05:50|
|2||"Mere Naseeb Mein"||Lata Mangeshkar||06:23|
|3||"Zindagi Imtehaan Leti Hai"||Dr.Kamlesh Avasthi, Anwar, Suman Kalyanpur||06:08|
|4||"Chal Mere Bhai"||Mohammed Rafi, Amitabh Bachchan, Rishi Kapoor||06:40|
|5||"Pakdo Pakdo"||Usha Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar||06:34|
|6||"Rang Jamake Jayenge"||Mohammed Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar, Shailendra Singh, Asha Bhosle, Usha Mangeshkar||05:50|
One of the songs in the film sung by Mohammed Rafi, "John Johny Janardan", has cameo appearances by many actors playing themselves. The appearances include Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Randhir Kapoor, Dharmendra, Rajesh Khanna, Rakesh Roshan, Vijay Arora, Waheeda Rehman, Sharmila Tagore, Mala Sinha, Bindu, Simi Garewal and Simple Kapadia. According to eminent film expert Rajesh Subramanian, the opening line was composed by Manmohan Desai himself. The tune was inspired by a catchy line from the song "Aksar Koi Ladka" from Bobby.
The star studded song was shot at R. K. Studios and the shooting spanned one week. Showman Raj Kapoor played an integral part in the song and during the shooting. The one-week shoot was a gala event.
The film was an "All Time Earner", got the highest verdict (equivalent to All Time Blockbuster today) present at that time by Trade Guide Bollywood box office magazine, and was among those rare movies which crossed 1 crore per territory. There were only 13 All Time Earners (crossing 1 crore per territory) before 1984, and Naseeb was among them.
Awards and nominations
- "Amitabh Movies Verdict (1969-1984) By Trade Guide (Prakash Pange) « Bollybusiness : Bollywood boxoffice". Bollybusiness.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- "Upto 1984 : Total 13 All time earners , 9 Was Starring Amitabh « Bollybusiness : Bollywood boxoffice". Bollybusiness.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- "venkatesh filmography". TeluguCinema.Com. Archived from the original on 25 February 2012. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- "Naseeb : Lyrics and video of Songs from the Movie Naseeb (1981)". HindiGeetMala.
- "1st Filmfare Awards 1953" (PDF).