Naser Makarem Shirazi
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Naser Makarem Shirazi|
|Member of the Assembly of Experts for Constitution|
15 August 1979 – 15 November 1979
3 December 1926 |
|Political party||Society of Seminary Teachers of Qom|
|Main interests||Fiqh, Kalam and Tafsir|
He started his formal Islamic studies at the age of 14 in the Agha Babakhan Shirazi seminary. After completing the introductory studies, he started studying jurisprudence (fiqh) and its principles (usool al-fiqh).
He made rapid progress and finished studying the complete levels of introductory and both the levels of the intermediate Islamic studies in approximately four years. During this time, he also taught at the Islamic seminary in Shiraz.
At the age of 18, he formally entered the theological seminary of Qom, and for the next five years was present in the religious gatherings and classes of some of the leading Islamic teachers of those days, such as Ayatollah Muhammad Hussein Burujerdi, & Ayatollah Seyyed Kazem Shariatmadari.
In 1950 he made his way to the seminary of Najaf, Iraq. Here, he was able to take part in classes of teachers such as Ayatollah Muhsin al-Hakim, Ayatollah Abul-Qassim Khoei and Ayatollah Abdul Hadi ash-Shirazi.
After returning to Iran, Ayatollah Nasir Makarim Shirazi began teaching the intermediate and higher level of studies in usul al-fiqh and fiqh. Also, he was a member of the editorial board of the first Islamic magazine published in Iran named "Maktab'e Eslam", next to Ayatollah Shariatmadari.
He has won the Iranian Royal Academy of Philosophy' award for his essay "Filsuf-Namaha".
Fatwas and viewpoints
Women's attendance in stadia
Alternatives to stoning
Dogs and pets
In 2010 he responded to a request inquiring why a dog is considered unclean under shariah despite a lack of any references to dogs in the Holy Quran. In his fatwa he emphasized that under shariah, dogs are indeed considered unclean based upon riwayahs, reliable narrations (hadith) handed down from the Prophet Muhammad and his household. Makarem described the current Iranian inclination toward dogs as "blindly imitating the West"; something that he believes will result in "evil outcomes."
The Iranian ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance reacted to this fatwa by banning all advertisement related to keeping, buying, and selling pets.
In September 2010 he was quoted by the Iranian state news agency IRNA as saying "The Holocaust is nothing but superstition, but Zionists say that people of the world should be forced to accept this. The truth about the Holocaust is not clear, and when the researchers want to examine whether it is true or the Jews have created it to pose as victims, they jail the researchers".
In reference to marriage of girls under 13 years of age, which is allowed in Iran under certain circumstances, he has stated that, although such marriages were permitted in the past, in modern times it has been demonstrated that they are not in the best interest (maslahat) of the parties involved and should be considered invalid.
Ayatollah Makarim Shirazi was active in the pre-revolution days, hence he was thrown in jail many times. He was even exiled on three separate occasions to three different locations-Chabahar, Mahabad and Anarak. After the Iranian revolution, he was appointed to the Assembly of Experts for construction and played a major role in writing the first constitution. He is no longer a member of the government, and resides in the city of Qom. On November 23, 2014 and after months of preparations, he finally managed to gather in over 600 religious scholars from around the world in a conference titled The International Congress on Extremist and Takfiri Movements in the Islamic Scholars’ View. It was a meeting for discussing controversial issues effecting the Muslim world, especially Takfiri movements. After the first successful hosting in which he condemned the inaction in the face of ISIL atrocities, he decided to reorganize another conference, Extremism and Takfiri Movements in Today’s World in 28 January 2016, to further focus on the responsibilities of the Muslim scholars regarding the unwelcome emergence of extremism. At the second congress same as the first one, scholars of more than 80 countries received invitations and was participated by about one thousand people.
- the Message of Quran
- OUR BELIEF
- Khums the Fund of Independence of Bait Al Mal
- Quran Translation and Commentary in Brief
- Life under the Grace of Ethics
- Universal Government of Mahdi
- Islamic Law
- sexual problems of the youth
- Shia Answers
- Commentary on the book Kifayatul Usul (at age 18)
- The Manifestation of Truth
- Commentary on the Quran (Tafsir Nemooneh)
- The Message of the Quran
- Anwar al-Fuqahah
- al-Qawaidul Fiqhiyyah
- The Limits of Azadari
- They Will Ask You
- 50 Life Lessons from the Ahl al-Bayt (a)
- "Sad Fate of Iran's Jews". Institute for War and Peace Reporting.
- "Biography-The Official Website of Grand Ayatollah MakaremShirazi". makarem.ir.
- "BBCPersian.com". bbc.co.uk.
- "Iran clerics say death by stoning may be stopped-World-The Times of India".[dead link]
- "Prohibition of Smoking in Islam". Islamic Insights.
- "Iran cleric says dogs unclean and not to be kept as pets". Reuters.
- "Pet Ads Banned In Iranian Media Based On Fatwa". payvand.com.
- علی سودایی (Dec 25, 2016). "در یک دهه ۴۰۰ هزار دختر زیر ۱۵ سال در ایران ازدواج کردند". BBC Persian.
- "World Congress on Extremist and Takfiri Movements in the Islamic Scholars’ View wrapped up". Abna24.
- "Conference on "Extremism and Takfiri Movements in Today’s World" underway in Qom, Iran". Abna24.
- Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi. compilations.
- makarem. official website.
- "Account Suspended". www.14publications.com.
- "They Will Ask You". 14 Publications.
- "Account Suspended". www.14publications.com.
|Wikinews has related news: Ayatollah Makarem-Shirazi urges compulsory hijab|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Naser Makarem Shirazi.|