This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Grier in October 2015
|Born||December 28, 1997|
|Education||Davidson Day School|
|Known for||Vine videos|
Hamilton Nash Grier (born December 28, 1997) is an American Internet personality. He became known for his online videos on the now-defunct video sharing service Vine in early 2013. By 2015, Grier was the second most-followed user on the platform.
Hamilton Nash Grier was born and raised in North Carolina by mother Elizabeth Floyd and father Chad Grier, who is now one of his managers. He is the second-oldest child with an older brother, Will Grier, a football quarterback who was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the 2019 NFL Draft; a younger brother, Hayes, who also posted vines; and a younger half-sister, Skylynn.
Nash Grier was a freshman at Davidson Day School when the mobile app Vine was released, a social media platform which allows users to post looping 6-second videos for others to view. Grier began to post comedy-related videos for friends and classmates and quickly amassed a wider fanbase.
Grier began making short videos on the app Vine after its release in early 2013. One of his initial videos gained recognition and Grier quickly began gaining thousands of followers on the app. As his popularity grew, Grier joined a newly formed group called Magcon (Meet and Greet Convention) in October of that year described as "a boy-band phenomenon without the band." Grier participated in the group with his brother Hayes and other Vine stars Cameron Dallas, Matthew Espinosa, Jack & Jack, Taylor Caniff, Shawn Mendes, Carter Reynolds, and Mahogany Lox. The group held events where fans could meet and interact with Internet personalities. The shows drew in thousands of fans who followed the group members on social media.
In April 2014, the Magcon group broke up due to disagreements between members' managers. Following the split, Grier moved to Los Angeles with fellow Magcon member Cameron Dallas to focus on his career. That summer, Grier joined DigiFest, a "social media tour" with thousands of attendees where personalities performed comedy and dance sets, Q&A sessions, and posed for pictures with fans.
Grier and other members of his management have released mobile games and social media apps including Cash Dash, Mobli, and Challenged. Grier has his own website where fans can buy his merchandise as well as an Aéropostale clothing line called "UnitedXXVI," designed in part by Grier, Dallas, and younger brother Hayes.
Grier has stated that he is mostly self-taught on how to edit videos, and his 'apparent spontaneity' is actually shrewdly crafted and scripted, with clips refilmed many times and sometimes edited for hours. As of May 2016, Nash has over 12.7 million Vine followers, 4.78 million subscribers on his YouTube channel, 4.8 million Twitter followers and over 9.1 million followers on his Instagram account. His second Vine account, "Nash Grier 2", where he posts less scripted videos, has more than 2.4 million followers. Grier's management has confirmed that major brands will pay Grier anywhere between $25,000–$100,000 to advertise their products in his Vines. Because of his popularity, Grier has appeared on various news shows including Good Morning America and The View.
Grier's first major acting role was in Fullscreen's The Outfield, which premiered November 10, 2015, worldwide on the iTunes Store. He also directed a music video for singer Bera called "I Look Good On You" which was released on Grier's YouTube Channel. In 2017, Grier appeared in You Get Me with co-star Bella Thorne.
In April 2013, Grier posted a Vine in which he said, "Yes, it is! Fag!" in response to an OraQuick at-home oral HIV test ad which stated, "Testing for HIV... It's not a gay thing." Grier later deleted the vine but a recording of it resurfaced in July 2014 and Grier faced renewed scrutiny. Grier posted an apology on Twitter noting that he was "young, ignorant, stupid and in a bad place. I've moved on and learned from my mistakes and I am so truly sorry to anyone I have offended." Aéropostale faced backlash for partnering with Grier due to his earlier controversies. BuzzFeed News noted "the backlash highlights the challenges brands face in working with today’s new breed of celebrity in a supremely competitive landscape."
|2014||"Mmm Yeah" by Austin Mahone||Himself||Lyric video|
|2014||"Work For It" by Poo Bear||Himself||Music video|
|2014||"Blank Space Parody" by Bart Baker||Taylor Swift's boyfriend||Featured in video|
|2014||"Anaconda Parody" by Bart Baker||Safari Dude||Featured in video|
|2015||"I Look Good On You" by Bera||Himself||Featured in video as well as directed|
|2015||The Outfield||Jack Sanders||premiered November 10, 2015|
|2016||The Deleted||Ryder||TV series|
|2017||You Get Me||Gil||Netflix Film|
|2019||Scream||Tommy "TJ" Jenkins||TV series; guest cast|
- Grier, Nash (February 3, 2014). "Ask Nash". Nash Grier YouTube channel. Event occurs at 2:38. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
How old are you? Sixteen years of age, born December 28, 1997.
- "These Are The 30 Most Influential People on the Internet". Time. Retrieved October 18, 2019.
- Willet, Megan (September 15, 2015). "Is Magcon Coming Back?". Business Insider.
- "Magcon Ending". YouTube. Nash Grier. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Trotter, Jake (October 26, 2017). "The Griers: Three internet superstars and, oh yeah, college football's leader in TD passes". ESPN.
- Bosker, Bianca (August 7, 2014). "16 And Famous How Nash Grier Became The Most Popular Kid In The World". Huffington Post.
- Charlton, Lauretta (April 29, 2015). "Magcon, Shawn Mendes, and a Surprise No. 1 Album". Vulture.
- Schreiber, Abby (April 18, 2014). "The Most Popular Boys In the World You've Never Heard Of". Paper Magazine. Archived from the original on December 11, 2019. Retrieved April 3, 2020.
- Barnes, Brooks (June 7, 2014). "Performing Without Net: Stars of YouTube Take to the Stage". The New York Times.
- "Top Viners Launch CashDash Game". Whats Trending. Whats Trending. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Kowalski, Kristine Hope. "Nash Grier dishes on new aeropostale collection". Twist. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Grier, Nash. "Nash Grier". Vine. Nash Grier. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- "Nash Grier". YouTube. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- Grier, Nash. "Nash Grier". Twitter. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Grier, Nash. "Nash Grier". Instagram. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Nash Grier 2's profile". Vine. Retrieved September 29, 2015.
- "Nash and Cam on Good Morning America!". 26MGMT.com. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "GMA Live! (4.30.14)". Good Morning America/Yahoo! News. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- View, The. "Vine on 'The View' Nash Video". The View. The View. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Malach, Maggie. "First look at Nash Grier + Cameron Dallas' Movie The Outfield". Popcrush.
- Outfield, The. "Snyopis". outfieldmovie.com. Fullscreen. Retrieved November 24, 2015.
- Grier, Nash. "I Look Good on You". YouTube.
- Adams, Cher (April 20, 2016). "Bella Thorne Locks Lips with Costar Nash Grier on Set of You Get Me". People. Retrieved December 21, 2016.
- "Nash Grier, Vine's Most-Followed User, Slammed for Homophobic Slur: VIDEO| Gay News". Towleroad.com. July 8, 2014. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "Nash Grier vs. Justin Bieber on Vine". OSM. Online Social Media. July 15, 2014. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Schroeder, Audra (July 8, 2014). "Vine star Nash Grier under fire for homophobic comments". The Daily Dot. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Badash, David (July 8, 2014). "Top Social Media Star Says Only Gays Get HIV – Calls Them 'F*gs'". New Civil Rights Movement. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Jeffery, Hannah; Doss Helms, Ann (July 8, 2014). "Vine star Nash Grier faces criticism for screaming homophobic slur". Carlotte Observer. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Broderick, David (July 8, 2014). "16-Year-Old Vine Celebrity Nash Grier Uploaded And Deleted A Video Saying Only Gay People Get HIV". BuzzFeed. BuzzFeed. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- Jaworski, Michelle (July 8, 2014). "Vine star Nash Grier under fire for homophobic comments". Dailydot.com. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- Hilton, Perez. "Aeropostale Hires Known Homophobic Vine Star As One Of The Faces/Designers Of Their New Line! WTF!". Perez Hilton. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Kazimierska, Marika. "Shoppers Outraged With Aeropostale For Hiring Homophobic And Racist Social Media Star". Design & Trend. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Votta, Rae. "Aeropostale's Nash Grier partnership is going over about as well as you'd expect". Daily Dot. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Maheshwari, Sapna. "Aeropostale Hires Nash Grier, Vine Star With History Of Anti-Gay Tweets". BuzzFeed News. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Morin, Alyssa (April 19, 2019). "YouTube Star Nash Grier Is Expecting His First Child". E! News. Retrieved June 15, 2019.
- Copelton, Melissa (September 25, 2019). "Nash Grier Reveals Fiancée Taylor Giavasis Gave Birth After '26 Hours' of Labor in 'The Living Room'". Life and Style.
- "Malakai Giavasis-Grier". Instagram. September 27, 2019.
- Mackinley, Page (December 27, 2014). "Watch Justin Bieber Cameo In Poo Bear's 'Work For It' Ft. Tyga [Video]". Inquistir.
- "Bart Baker's Fans Say Taylor Swift Lifted From Him". New Media Rockstars. December 9, 2014.
- "Nicki Minaj – "Anaconda" PARODY". What's Trending. September 15, 2014.
- Singh, Ethan (August 20, 2015). "Exclusive: Bera Talks New Song 'I Look Good On You'". The Knockturnal.
- Diblasi, Lauren (October 16, 2015). "Growing Up Means Baseball in 'The Outfield' Starring Nash Grier". MTV.
- Jarvey, Natalie (August 2, 2016). "Bret Easton Ellis Cult Thriller 'The Deleted' Casts Vine Star Nash Grier". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 19, 2016.
- Petski, Denise (August 8, 2016). "'Orange Is The New Black's Madeline Brewer Among Seven Cast In Bret Easton Ellis' 'The Deleted'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 19, 2016.
- O'Keefee, Jack (July 8, 2019). "The 'Scream: Resurrection' Easter Eggs Connect The Series To The Classic Original Films". Bustle.