This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Grier in October 2015
|Education||Davidson Day School|
|Known for||Vine videos|
Hamilton Nash Grier (born December 28, 1997) is an American Internet personality. Grier was discovered by Jason Neubauer of The Santa Claus Affect. He became known for his online Vine videos in early 2013.
Hamilton Nash Grier was born and raised in North Carolina by mother Elizabeth Floyd and father Chad Grier, who is now one of his managers. He is the second-oldest child with an older brother, Will Grier, who is a quarterback for the West Virginia Mountaineers; a younger brother, Hayes, who also posted vines; and a younger half-sister, Skylynn, whom his mother had with her current husband, John Floyd.
Nash Grier was a freshman at Davidson Day School when the mobile app Vine was released, a social media platform which allows users to post looping 6-second videos for others to view. Grier began to post comedy-related videos for friends and classmates and quickly amassed a wider fanbase.
Shortly after Grier's rise to Internet fame, he joined the touring group Magcon (Meet and Greet Convention), a convention where fans could meet and interact with Internet personalities. There were multiple shows in the major cities of the U.S. between 2013 and 2014. Other Vine celebrities on the tour included Cameron Dallas, whom he met over the app, Matthew Espinosa, Jack Gilinsky, Jack Johnson, Aaron Carpenter, Taylor Caniff, Shawn Mendes, Jacob Whitesides, Carter Reynolds, Mahogany Lox, and his brother Hayes Grier. In early 2014, Grier along with a few other members quit Magcon as they felt that it limited their future careers and were interested in pursuing other goals. In summer of 2014 at 16 years of age, Grier moved to Los Angeles where he bought his first apartment with Dallas so they could be closer to their management (26MGMT) and to also pursue careers in acting. The two along with their photographer Bryant Eslava lived there for nine months until they were evicted. Grier currently lives in a new house located in Beverly Hills. After moving to California, Grier started online schooling to complete his high school education which he has recently graduated from.
In April 2013, Grier posted a Vine in which he said, "Yes, it is! Fag!" in response to an OraQuick at-home oral HIV test ad which stated, "Testing for HIV... It's not a gay thing." Grier later deleted the vine but a recording of it resurfaced in July 2014 and Grier faced renewed scrutiny. Grier posted an apology on Twitter noting that he was "young, ignorant, stupid and in a bad place. I've moved on and learned from my mistakes and I am so truly sorry to anyone I have offended."
Grier and other members of his management have released mobile games and social media apps including Cash Dash, Mobli, and Challenged. Grier has his own website where fans can buy his merchandise as well as an Aéropostale clothing line called "UnitedXXVI," designed in part by Grier, Dallas, and younger brother Hayes. Aéropostale faced backlash for partnering with Grier due to his earlier controversies. BuzzFeed News noted "the backlash highlights the challenges brands face in working with today’s new breed of celebrity in a supremely competitive landscape."
Grier has stated that he is mostly self-taught on how to edit videos, and his 'apparent spontaneity' is actually shrewdly crafted and scripted, with clips refilmed many times and sometimes edited for hours. As of May 2016, Nash has over 12.7 million Vine followers, 4.78 million subscribers on his YouTube channel, 4.8 million Twitter followers and over 9.1 million followers on his Instagram account. His second Vine account, "Nash Grier 2", where he posts less scripted videos, has more than 2.4 million followers. Grier's management has confirmed that major brands will pay Grier anywhere between $25,000–$100,000 to advertise their products in his Vines. Because of his popularity, Grier has appeared on various news shows including Good Morning America and The View.
Grier's first major acting role was in Fullscreen's The Outfield, which premiered November 10, 2015, worldwide on the iTunes Store. He also directed a music video for singer Bera called "I Look Good On You" which was released on Grier's YouTube Channel. In 2017, Grier appeared in You Get Me with co-star Bella Thorne.
|2014||"Mmm Yeah" by Austin Mahone||Himself||Lyric video|
|2014||"Work For It" by Poo Bear||Himself||Music video|
|2014||"Blank Space Parody" by Bart Baker||Taylor Swift's boyfriend||Featured in video|
|2014||"Anaconda Parody" by Bart Baker||Safari Dude||Featured in video|
|2015||"I Look Good On You" by Bera||Himself||Featured in video as well as directed|
|2015||The Outfield||Jack Sanders||premiered November 10, 2015|
|2016||The Deleted||Ryder||TV series|
|2017||You Get Me||Gil||Netflix Film|
- Grier, Nash (February 3, 2014). "Ask Nash". Nash Grier YouTube channel. Event occurs at 2:38. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
How old are you? Sixteen years of age, born December 28, 1997.
- "Magcon Ending". YouTube. Nash Grier. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- grier, nash. "MEET MY SISTER - Nash Grier". YouTube. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Grier, Nash. "Here's the full story about the vine i made". HuffingtonPost. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Grier, Nash. "Magcon Ending". YouTube. Nash Grier. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Dallas, Cameron. "ROOM TOUR!!!". YouTube. Cameron Dallas. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- "Nash Grier". Celebrity and talent management. 26MGMT. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- "Nash Grier, Vine's Most-Followed User, Slammed for Homophobic Slur: VIDEO| Gay News". Towleroad.com. July 8, 2014. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "Nash Grier vs. Justin Bieber on Vine". OSM. Online Social Media. July 15, 2014. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Schroeder, Audra (July 8, 2014). "Vine star Nash Grier under fire for homophobic comments". The Daily Dot. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Badash, David (July 8, 2014). "Top Social Media Star Says Only Gays Get HIV – Calls Them 'F*gs'". New Civil Rights Movement. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Jeffery, Hannah; Doss Helms, Ann (July 8, 2014). "Vine star Nash Grier faces criticism for screaming homophobic slur". Carlotte Observer. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Broderick, David (July 8, 2014). "16-Year-Old Vine Celebrity Nash Grier Uploaded And Deleted A Video Saying Only Gay People Get HIV". BuzzFeed. BuzzFeed. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- Jaworski, Michelle (July 8, 2014). "Vine star Nash Grier under fire for homophobic comments". Dailydot.com. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "Top Viners Lanch CashDash Game". Whats Trending. Whats Trending. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Kowalski, Kristine Hope. "Nash Grier dishes on new aeropostale collection". Twist. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Hilton, Perez. "Aeropostale Hires Known Homophobic Vine Star As One Of The Faces/Designers Of Their New Line! WTF!". Perez Hilton. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Kazimierska, Marika. "Shoppers Outraged With Aeropostale For Hiring Homophobic And Racist Social Media Star". Design & Trend. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Votta, Rae. "Aeropostale's Nash Grier partnership is going over about as well as you'd expect". Daily Dot. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Maheshwari, Sapna. "Aeropostale Hires Nash Grier, Vine Star With History Of Anti-Gay Tweets". BuzzFeed News. Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- Bosker, Bianca. "16 and famous". The Huffington Post.
- Grier, Nash. "Nash Grier". Vine. Nash Grier. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- "Nash Grier". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- Grier, Nash. "Nash Grier". Twitter. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Grier, Nash. "Nash Grier". Instagram. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Nash Grier 2's profile". Vine. Retrieved September 29, 2015.
- "Nash and Cam on Good Morning America!". 26MGMT.com. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "GMA Live! (4.30.14)". Good Morning America/Yahoo! News. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- View, The. "Vine on 'The View' Nash Video". The View. The View. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Malach, Maggie. "First look at Nash Grier + Cameron Dallas' Movie The Outfield". Popcrush.
- Outfield, The. "Snyopis". outfieldmovie.com. Fullscreen. Retrieved November 24, 2015.
- Grier, Nash. "I Look Good on You". YouTube.
- Adams, Cher (April 20, 2016). "Bella Thorne Locks Lips with Costar Nash Grier on Set of You Get Me". People. Retrieved December 21, 2016.
- Jarvey, Natalie (August 2, 2016). "Bret Easton Ellis Cult Thriller 'The Deleted' Casts Vine Star Nash Grier". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 19, 2016.
- Petski, Denise (August 8, 2016). "'Orange Is The New Black's Madeline Brewer Among Seven Cast In Bret Easton Ellis' 'The Deleted'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 19, 2016.