Location of Nashik Division in Maharashtra
|Districts||1. Nashik, 2. Dhule, 3. Jalgaon, 4. Nandurbar, 5. Ahmednagar|
|• Total||57,268 km2 (22,111 sq mi)|
|• Under irrigation||8,060 km2 (3,110 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 census)|
|Main crops||Grape, Onion, Sugarcane, Jowar, Cotton, Banana, Chillies, Wheat, Rice, Nagli, Pomegranate|
Nashik division is one of the six divisions of India's Maharashtra state and is also known as North Maharashtra. The historic Khandesh region covers the northern part of the division, in the valley of the Tapti River. Nashik Division is bound by Konkan Division and the state of Gujarat to the west, Madhya Pradesh state to the north, Amravati Division and Marathwada (Aurangabad Division) to the east, and Pune Division to the south. The city of Nashik is the largest city of this division.
Districts and cities
- Districts (with 2011 population): Ahmednagar (4,543,159), Dhule (2,048,781), Jalgaon (4,224,442) Nandurbar (1,646,177), Nashik 6,109,052
- Largest City (Population): Nashik
- Most Developed City: Nashik
- City with highest Literacy rate: Nashik
- Largest City (Area): Nashik
|Name of Division
|Total Districts - 5||Total Talukas - 53|
History of administrative districts in Nashik Division
There have been changes in the names of Districts and has seen also the addition of newer districts after India gained Independence in 1947 and also after the state of Maharashtra was formed.
- Notable events include the creation of the Nandurbar (Tribal) district from the western and northern areas of the Dhule district.
- Second event include the renaming of the erstwhile East Khandesh district as Dhule, district and West Khandesh district as Jalgaon.
- The Nashik district is under proposal to be divided and a separate Malegaon District be carved out of existing Nashik district with the inclusion of the north eastern parts of Nashik district which include Malegaon, Nandgaon, Chandwad, Deola, Baglan, and Kalwan talukas in the proposed Malegaon district.
- The Ahmednagar district is under proposal to be divided and a separate Shrirampur District be carved out of existing Ahmednagar district with the inclusion of the northern parts of Ahmednagar district which include Rahata, Rahuri, Sangamner, Shrirampur, Akole, Kopargaon, Shevgaon and Nevasa talukas in the proposed Shrirampur district.
- Airport: Nasik [flights to Mumbai] Gandhinagar Airport, Ozar Airport
- Railway Station:Nasik Road, Manmad, Bhusaval
List of Divisional Commissioner
- J.G. Rajadhyaksha 20-02-1981 to 30-09-1984
- J. D. Jadhav 12-12-1984 to 01-12-1985
- Leena Mehendale 28-06-1994 to 28-11-1985
- Kishore Gajbhiye 19-01-2004 to 05-01-2004
- Eknath Dawale 11-02-2014
- "Divisional Commissioners". Retrieved 25 January 2016.
|This article about a location in the Indian state of Maharashtra is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|