This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
|Genres||Hard rock, psychobilly, southern metal|
|Labels||EarMusic VeryCords, SPV, Amphetamine Reptile|
|Associated acts||Nine Pound Hammer, the Hookers, Dick Delicious and The Tasty Testicles, Jane Lee Hooker, Die Hunns, Hemi Cuda|
Nashville Pussy is an American rock band from Atlanta, Georgia. Their musical style has been variously described as psychobilly, Southern rock, hard rock, and cowpunk, as well as sleaze rock. The band's lyrical themes mostly revolve around sex, drugs, drinking, fighting, and rock 'n' roll. Initially called Hell's Half-Acre, the band's name comes from Ted Nugent's introduction to "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" on the Double Live Gonzo album.
Following the initial 1997 breakup of Kentucky cowpunk band Nine Pound Hammer, guitarist Blaine Cartwright formed Nashville Pussy where he would take up vocal duties in addition to guitar. The core lineup of Nashville Pussy consists of husband-and-wife duo Blaine Cartwright and Ruyter Suys (pronounced "Rider Sighs"), and drummer Jeremy Thompson, formerly of Texas band Phantom Creeps. Original drummer Adam Neal (Nine Pound Hammer) left to form the Hookers. Original bassist Corey Parks (sister of former basketball player Cherokee Parks) quit one month after the release of the album High as Hell, and later joined Die Hunns. Tracy Almazan a.k.a. Tracy Kickass formerly of New York City's The Wives, and Helldorado was enlisted to replace Parks mid-tour.
Nashville Pussy recorded Say Something Nasty with Almazan on bass only to be replaced by Katielyn Campbell (of the band Famous Monsters). Katie Lynn's image is on the album Say Something Nasty. Campbell was subsequently replaced by Karen Cuda for the album Get Some. Karen Cuda also appeared as bassist on the album "From Hell to Texas", and in the live DVD Live in Hollywood.
Nashville Pussy have released six full-length studio albums, one EP and two live DVDs.
The band has remained largely underground, but has been gaining a large cult following in the rock club scene, and in Europe, Australia, Japan, and the rest of the world. Grassroots promotion of the band has been aided by their taper-friendly show recording policy. Ruyter Suys was recently voted One of the Greatest Female Electric Guitarists in ELLE magazine. Nine Pound Hammer has since reunited and plays the introduction song for the Adult Swim cartoon 12 Oz. Mouse. Cartwright also had a cameo in the Mr. Show spinoff movie Run Ronnie Run as Duke's Bar Owner. The band also played themselves in the Dutch Film 'Wilde Mossels' (Wild Mussels).
Nashville Pussy received a Best Metal Performance Grammy nomination for their song "Fried Chicken And Coffee" from their debut release, Let Them Eat Pussy (1998, The Enclave) 1999 Grammy. Between April 2 to May 7, 1999, the band toured as the opening act for the North American leg of Marilyn Manson's Rock Is Dead Tour. Ruyter Suys was featured on National Enquirer TV along with Jennifer Lopez on the Grammy Red Carpet for her 'revealing' Evel Knievel meets Wonder Woman leather bustier in a feature titled 'Too Much Too Little' and their songs "Come On, Come On" and "Hate & Whisky" were featured in the video game Jackass the Game. Additionally, "Snake Eyes" was for the end credits in the video game Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012 and both "Shoot First and Run Like Hell" and "Wrong Side of a Gun" were in the movie Super Troopers. The song 'DRIVE' with its Gary Glitter style drum beat was featured in the episode 'Watching Too Much Television' of the HBO series The Sopranos. HBO'S Entourage also featured Nashville Pussy's 'Hell Ain't What It Used to Be' in the episode 'A Day in the Valley'. In 2012 Ruyter Suys has also played guitar and toured for Atlanta comedy metal band Dick Delicious and The Tasty Testicles.
- Blaine Cartwright – vocals, rhythm guitar
- Ruyter Suys – lead guitar
- Bonnie Buitrago – bass
- Ben Thomas – drums
- Adam Neal (a.k.a. The Rock N Roll Outlaw) – drums
- Corey Parks – bass
- Max Terasauro – drums
- Tracy Almazan (a.k.a. Tracy Wives, Tracy Kickass) – bass
- Katielyn Campbell – bass
- Karen Cuda – bass
- Jeremy Thompson – drums
- RL Hulsman - drums
- 1998: Eat More Pussy EP
- 1998: Let Them Eat Pussy
- 2000: High as Hell
- 2002: Say Something Nasty
- 2005: Get Some!
- 2009: From Hell to Texas
- 2012: From Hell to Texas (Re-mixed) + Live and Loud in Europe
- 2014: Up the Dosage
- 2018: Pleased to Eat You
- 2003: Keep on f*cking Live in Paris (DVD)
- 2008: Live in Hollywood (DVD)
- 2011: Live in Rennes
- 2012: Live and Loud from Europe (CD bonus from "From Hell to Texas – Reissued")
This sections years are missing! needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- "From Hell to Texas"
- "Drunk Driving Man"
- "Come On, Come On"
- "Hate and Whisky"
- "Why, Why, Why"
- Nashville Pussy. "Nashville Pussy | Biography, Albums, Streaming Links". AllMusic. Retrieved 2019-07-06.
- Index 1:00–1:04: "This is a love song; I'd like to dedicate this to all that Nashville pussy."
- Portuguese news story
- "2006 Australian tour poster". Archived from the original on 2009-03-29. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- "2009 international news/tour info". Archived from the original on 2009-02-02. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-04-12. Retrieved 2010-01-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Manson Resumes Tour Without Hole, Taps Nashville Pussy And Jack Off Jill For Upcoming Dates". MTV. Viacom Media Networks. 1999-03-22. Archived from the original on 2018-09-07. Retrieved 2011-03-07.
- Rock On The Net Awards
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nashville Pussy.|
- Official website
- Video of Nashville Pussy playing at the Fox Theatre in Boulder, Colorado on Friday, January 11th, 2008 (entire set/show)
- Interview with Blaine Cartwright @ Legends
- French site
- CrashCam Films (CrashCam Films home page) – filmmaker Bob Ray's Austin, Texas based production company that created music videos for the Nashville Pussy songs "Fried Chicken and Coffee", "High as Hell" and "Say Something Nasty"
- Karen Cuda interview at BassGirls.Com