|Place of origin||Malaysia|
|Region or state||Southeast Asia|
|Associated cuisine||Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore|
|Main ingredients||Rice, egg, chicken, chili sauce, cucumber|
Nasi goreng pattaya, or simply nasi pattaya, is a Southeast Asian fried rice dish made by covering or wrapping chicken fried rice in thin fried egg or omelette. Despite its apparent reference to the city of Pattaya in Thailand, the dish is believed to originate from Malaysia, and today is also commonly found in Singapore. It is often served with chili sauce, tomato ketchup, slices of cucumber, and keropok.
In Indonesia this kind of nasi goreng is often called nasi goreng amplop (enveloped fried rice), since the nasi goreng is enveloped within a pocket of thin omelette. However, due to proximity and neighbouring influences, today this kind of fried rice is often also called as nasi goreng pattaya in Indonesia. Today, the dish is popular throughout Southeast Asia, it is one of the fried rice variants favourite in Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.
Etymology and origin
The name is believed to be derived from Pattaya, a popular beach resort in Thailand. However, despite its Thai-sounding name, the dish is actually more common in Malaysia than in Thailand. The omelette-covered pattaya fried rice is hardly found in Pattaya itself. It is most likely that the dish did originate in Malaysia, and that the "Pattaya" moniker was probably used for novelty or marketing purposes.
A similar dish exists in Japan, and is called omuraisu (from the English words omelette/omuretsu and rice). It is a fried ketchup-flavoured rice sandwiched with a thinly spread beaten egg or covered with a plain egg omelette.
- Geetha Krishnan (29 July 2005). "More than just a decent meal". The Star Kuali. Archived from the original on 21 December 2007. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- Lester Haines (20 June 2015). "Post-pub nosh neckfiller: Nasi goreng pattaya". The Register. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- Eve O'Sullivan (8 August 2015). "Readers' recipe swap: omelette [Malaysian fried rice omelette (nasi goreng pattaya)]". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Selain Indonesia, 7 Negara Ini Juga Punya 'Nasi Goreng' yang Nikmat" (in Indonesian). Kumparan. 10 January 2018. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- Bomanta (28 April 2015). 50 Resep Nasi Goreng: Panduan Memasak 50 jenis Nasi Goreng Maknyuss (in Indonesian). Bomanta. pp. 8–. GGKEY:J0HGW5PFLK0.
- "Resep Cara Membuat Nasi Goreng Pattaya Gulung Spesial" (in Indonesian). Selerasa.com. 26 May 2015. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- Febi Anindyakirana (13 July 2017). "Resep Nasi Goreng Pattaya" (in Indonesian). Vemale.com. Archived from the original on 28 June 2018. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Nasi Goreng Pattaya (Stuffed Omelette Fried Rice)". All Recipes. Archived from the original on 6 October 2018. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- Pattaya fried rice at the Wikibooks Cookbook subproject