|Place of origin||Indonesia|
|Region or state||South Sumatera|
|Main ingredients||Rice cooked in ghee and spices|
Nasi minyak (Palembang Malay for "oily rice") is an Indonesian dish from Palembang cuisine of cooked rice with minyak samin (ghee) and spices. This rice dish is commonly associated with Palembang city, the capital of South Sumatra province. However, it is also common in neighboring Jambi as far north to Medan in North Sumatra. In a glimpse, nasi minyak looks and tastes slightly like nasi kebuli, this is because both rice dishes are influenced by Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines, as evidence in the use of ghee and certain spices. Bumbu spice mixture being used including cardamom, anise, clove, caraway, cinnamon, onion, garlic and curry powder.
In Palembang, nasi minyak is a celebrative traditional dish usually served for special events and celebrations. Certain mosque in Palembang served free nasi minyak after Jumu'ah Friday mass prayer, every last Friday of the month.
While in southern Thailand, Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore, the Nasi Minyak is regarded ceremonial dish and usually being eaten during the traditional Malay wedding reception. With the rise of urbanism among the Malay society, it is also usually sold in the Pasar Malam for dinner. While in the east coast state of Terengganu, Kelantan and Patani Nasi Minyak is a common breakfast dish.
Nasi minyak is usually served with a variety of side dishes such as; malbi meat, pentol satay, ayam goreng, pickled cucumber, tahu goreng, krupuk, omelette, raisins and sambal buah, a spicy sambal with pineapple.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nasi minyak.|
- Buloe, Benu (2014-03-25). Jamak ala Benu Buloe (in Indonesian). Elex Media Komputindo. ISBN 9786020233154.
- "Nasi Minyak, Makanan Enak Khas Palembang yang Populer". MerahPutih. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- Ganie, Suryatini N. (2009). 27 Resep Hidangan Nasi Khas Indonesia not Only Nasi Goreng (in Indonesian). Gramedia Pustaka Utama. ISBN 9789792244519.
- "Resep Nasi Minyak Khas Palembang oleh umiyuliana01". Cookpad (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- "Lezatnya Nasi Minyak Senampan Tradisi Makan Bersama Warga Maskarebet - Sriwijaya Post". Sriwijaya Post (in Indonesian). 2018-02-24. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- "7 Jenis Nasi Popular Di Majlis Kenduri Kahwin" (in Malay). Malaysia: Vitdaily. 17 May 2019.
- "Nasi Minyak Sebuah Penganan Palembang Info Kuliner Malaya". www.malaya.or.id (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2018-07-17.