Nassau Bay, Texas
Nassau Bay, Texas
|Coordinates: 29°32′40″N 95°5′22″W / 29.54444°N 95.08944°W|
|• Total||1.75 sq mi (4.52 km2)|
|• Land||1.22 sq mi (3.16 km2)|
|• Water||0.53 sq mi (1.36 km2)|
|Elevation||13 ft (4 m)|
|• Density||3,255.74/sq mi (1,257.10/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC–6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC–5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1388574|
Nassau Bay is a city in Harris County, Texas, United States, bordering the outermost southeastern edge of the city of Houston. It is located in the Clear Lake Area near Galveston Bay, directly adjacent to the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center. The population was 5,347 at the 2020 census.
Colonel Raymond Pearson established the Spirit of 1776 Ranch on what would become Nassau Bay. In 1962, a community was planned which would be an exclusive residential and commercial area emphasizing its pioneers and at a then-staggering cost of $49 million. In 1962 construction of Nassau Bay began and the first residents moved to Nassau Bay in 1964; its initial population was 400. It was developed by Ernest W. Roe Company, with Thompson McCleary of Caudill, Rowlett, and Scott providing architectural services and Nassau Bay Development Associates establishing the development. The name was chosen by the developers because of the tropical feeling it generated. At the time, NASA was moving personnel from several areas in the United States with a high quality of life, including California and, notably, Florida.
In 1968 the community had 2,979 residents. The city incorporated in 1970. The population was 6,702 in 1980, 4,526 in 1982, 4,506 in 1991, and 4,170 in 2000.
Nassau Bay is located in southeastern Harris County at 29°32′40″N 95°5′22″W / 29.54444°N 95.08944°W (29.544463, –95.089558). It is bordered to the west by the city of Webster, and to the north by the city of Houston. It is bordered to the south by Clear Creek and to the southeast by the head of Clear Lake, an arm of Galveston Bay. Across the creek and lake, Nassau Bay is bordered by League City in Galveston County.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city of Nassau Bay has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.5 km2), of which 1.2 square miles (3.2 km2) land and 0.54 square miles (1.4 km2), or 30.12%, are water.
It is adjacent to the Johnson Space Center (JSC), which lies on the other side of Texas State Highway NASA Road 1 within the Houston city limits. Carlton Bayou, Clear Lake, and Swan Lagoon serve as boundaries of the community.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
|Black or African American (NH)||340||6.36%|
|Native American or Alaska Native (NH)||18||0.34%|
|Pacific Islander (NH)||2||0.04%|
|Some Other Race (NH)||16||0.3%|
|Hispanic or Latino||1,107||20.7%|
As of the 2020 United States census, there were 5,347 people, 1,890 households, and 1,014 families residing in the city. As of the census of 2000, there were 4,170 people, 2,049 households, and 1,213 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,146.0 people per square mile (1,210.6/km2). There were 2,243 housing units at an average density of 1,692.2 per square mile (651.1/km2).
According to the 2000 U.S. census, the racial makeup of the city was 89.64% White, 3.91% Asian, 2.23% of multi-racial background, 1.87% African American,1.68% from other races, 0.50% Native American, and 0.17% Pacific Islander. Hispanic or Latino of any race accounted for 6.28% of the population. By 2020, the racial and ethnic makeup was 63.83% non-Hispanic white, 6.35% African American, 0.34% Native American, 4.28% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.3% some other race, 4.15% multiracial, and 20.7% Hispanic or Latino American of any race.
In 2000, the median income for a household in the city was $57,353, and the median income for a family was $77,252. Males had a median income of $52,295 versus $38,819 for females. The per capita income for the city was $39,113. About 3.0% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.3% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over. According to the 2020 American Community Survey, the median household income was $62,273 with a mean income of $91,293.
Primary and secondary schools
Pupils in Nassau Bay attend schools in Clear Creek Independent School District. The community is within the Board of Trustees District 2, represented by Win Weber as of 2008.
Pupils are zoned to Robinson Elementary School in Pasadena, Space Center Intermediate School (Houston), and Clear Creek High School (League City).
Prior to the 2006–2007 school year, Nassau Bay was zoned to Falcon Pass Elementary School (Houston).
St. Thomas the Apostle Episcopal School, a private school, is located in Nassau Bay.
Colleges and universities
The portion of Clear Creek ISD in Harris County (and therefore Nassau Bay) is assigned to San Jacinto College.
Government and infrastructure
The United States Postal Service operates the Nassau Bay Post Office at 18214 Upper Bay Road. Nassau Bay postal addresses are designated as "Houston, Texas".
Harris Health System (formerly Harris County Hospital District) designated Strawberry Health Center in Pasadena for ZIP code 77058. The nearest public hospital is Ben Taub General Hospital in the Texas Medical Center.
Nassau Bay is the sister city of Star City, Russia, the home of the Russian equivalent of the Johnson Space Center.
- ^ "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 7, 2020.
- ^ a b U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Nassau Bay, Texas
- ^ a b "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ a b "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Nassau Bay city, Texas". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- ^ a b c "NASSAU BAY, TX." Handbook of Texas. Retrieved on February 14, 2015.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- ^ a b "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved 2022-05-23.
- ^ https://www.census.gov/[not specific enough to verify]
- ^ "About the Hispanic Population and its Origin". www.census.gov. Retrieved 18 May 2022.
- ^ "2020 ACS Annual Income Estimates". data.census.gov. Retrieved 2022-07-03.
- ^ District 2 Map Archived 2009-02-27 at the Wayback Machine. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- ^ "School Board Members: Bios and Contact Information Archived 2008-12-05 at the Wayback Machine." Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- ^ Robinson Elementary School attendance zone. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- ^ Space Center Intermediate attendance zone. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- ^ Clear Creek High zone. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- ^ New elementary boundaries in 2006-2007. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- ^ "Attendance Zones by Subdivision." Clear Creek Independent School District. December 17, 2003. Retrieved on December 31, 2016. p. 6/9. See entry for "Nassau Bay"
- ^ 2005-2006 Falcon Pass Elementary Boundaries. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- ^ "St. Thomas Episcopal School - Home". Archived from the original on 2006-07-20. Retrieved 2006-09-06.
- ^ "Sec. 130.174. COLLEGE OF THE MAINLAND DISTRICT SERVICE AREA. Sec. 130.197. SAN JACINTO COLLEGE DISTRICT SERVICE AREA".
- ^ "NASSAU BAY." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on April 24, 2018. "18214 UPPER BAY RD HOUSTON, TX 77058-9998"
- ^ "City of Houston Annexation FAQ". City of Houston. 1996-10-31. Archived from the original on 1996-10-31. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
Conversely, many residents of other incorporated places (including Nassau Bay, West University Place, Jacinto City, Missouri City and Jersey Village) have Houston addresses.
- ^ "Clinic/Emergency/Registration Center Directory By ZIP Code". Harris County Hospital District. 2001-11-19. Archived from the original on 2001-11-19. Retrieved 2021-04-08. - See ZIP code 77058. See this map for relevant ZIP code.
- ^ Nassau Bay, TX, official city website. http://www.nassaubay.com/sister_city.htm Archived 2009-10-11 at the Wayback Machine