Nassau Bay, Texas
|Nassau Bay, Texas|
Lakeside houses in Nassau Bay
Location in Harris County and the state of Texas
|• Total||1.74 sq mi (4.51 km2)|
|• Land||1.22 sq mi (3.15 km2)|
|• Water||0.53 sq mi (1.36 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
|• Density||3,288/sq mi (1,269.4/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC–6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC–5)|
|ZIP codes||77058, 77258|
|GNIS feature ID||1388574|
Nassau Bay is a city in Harris County, Texas, United States, bordering the southeastern edge of the city of Houston. It is located in the Clear Lake Area near Galveston Bay, directly adjacent to the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center. The population was 4,002 at the 2010 census. As of 2016[update] the mayor was Mark Denman.
Colonel Raymond Pearson established the Spirit of 1776 Ranch on what would become Nassau Bay. In 1962, a community was planned which would be an exclusive residential and commercial area emphasizing its pioneers and at a then-staggering cost of $49 million. In 1962 construction of Nassau Bay began and the first residents moved to Nassau Bay in 1964; its initial population was 400. It was developed by Ernest W. Roe Company, with Thompson McCleary of Caudill, Rowlett, and Scott providing architectural services and Nassau Bay Development Associates establishing the development. The name was chosen by the developers because of the tropical feeling it generated. At the time, NASA was moving personnel from several areas in the United States with a high quality of life, including California and notably, Florida.
In 1968 the community had 2,979 residents. The city incorporated in 1970. The population was 6,702 in 1980, 4,526 in 1982, 4,506 in 1991, and 4,170 in 2000.
Don Matter began his term as mayor in 2004. In 2008 there was a mayoral election. Matter, the incumbent, competed with Bryan Hermann.
Nassau Bay is located in southeastern Harris County at  It is bordered to the west by the city of Webster, and to the north by the city of Houston. It is bordered to the south by Clear Creek and to the southeast by the head of Clear Lake, an arm of Galveston Bay. Across the creek and lake, Nassau Bay is bordered by League City in Galveston County.(29.544463, -95.089558).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city of Nassau Bay has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.5 km2), of which 1.2 square miles (3.2 km2) land and 0.54 square miles (1.4 km2), or 30.12%, are water.
It is adjacent to the Johnson Space Center (JSC), which lies on the other side of Texas State Highway NASA Road 1 within the Houston city limits. Carlton Bayou, Clear Lake, and Swan Lagoon serve as boundaries of the community.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,170 people, 2,049 households, and 1,213 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,146.0 people per square mile (1,210.6/km²). There were 2,243 housing units at an average density of 1,692.2 per square mile (651.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.64% White, 3.91% Asian, 2.23%of multi-racial background, 1.87% African American,1.68% from other races, 0.50% Native American, and 0.17% Pacific Islander. Hispanic or Latino of any race accounted for 6.28% of the population.
There were 2,049 households out of which 17.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.5% were married couples living together, 7.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.8% were non-families. 35.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.04 and the average family size was 2.59.
In the city, the population was spread out with 15.3% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 34.4% from 45 to 64, and 18.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $57,353, and the median income for a family was $77,252. Males had a median income of $52,295 versus $38,819 for females. The per capita income for the city was $39,113. About 3.0% of families and 4.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.3% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over.
Primary and secondary schools
Government and infrastructure
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Nassau Bay city, Texas". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved February 5, 2018.
- "NASSAU BAY, TX." Handbook of Texas. Retrieved on February 14, 2015.
- Evans, Thayer (2008-04-30). "In Nassau Bay, race for mayor on ballot". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- District 2 Map Archived 2009-02-27 at the Wayback Machine.. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- "School Board Members: Bios and Contact Information Archived 2008-12-05 at the Wayback Machine.." Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- Robinson Elementary School attendance zone. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- Space Center Intermediate attendance zone. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- Clear Creek High zone. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- New elementary boundaries in 2006-2007. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- "Attendance Zones by Subdivision." Clear Creek Independent School District. December 17, 2003. Retrieved on December 31, 2016. p. 6/9. See entry for "Nassau Bay"
- 2005-2006 Falcon Pass Elementary Boundaries. Clear Creek Independent School District. Retrieved on December 31, 2016.
- "NASSAU BAY." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on April 24, 2018. "18214 UPPER BAY RD HOUSTON, TX 77058-9998"
- "City of Houston Annexation FAQ". City of Houston. 1996-10-31. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
Conversely, many residents of other incorporated places (including Nassau Bay, West University Place, Jacinto City, Missouri City and Jersey Village) have Houston addresses.
- Nassau Bay, TX, official city website. http://www.nassaubay.com/sister_city.htm
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nassau Bay, Texas.|