Nasty Girl (Vanity 6 song)
|Single by Vanity 6|
|from the album Vanity 6|
|B-side||"Drive Me Wild"|
|Released||October 1, 1982|
|Format||7", 12" vinyl single|
|Length||5:12 (Album Version)
2:55 (Single Version)
|Producer(s)||Prince (as The Starr Company)|
|Vanity 6 singles chronology|
"Nasty Girl" is a song written and composed by Prince. It was first recorded by his protégé girl group Vanity 6 in 1982. Prince gave the songwriting credit to lead singer Vanity, although he was the writer and composer. Inaya Day recorded a hit cover version of the song in 2004. There have also been several other versions of this song.
Vanity 6 version
Due to its explicit lyrics, "Nasty Girl" met with resistance on mainstream American radio, peaking within the U.S. Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart. It did, however, become a sizable hit on U.S. R&B radio and it hit number one on the U.S. Hot Dance Club Play chart for four weeks in November 1982. The song was knocked off the number one position by Prince's "1999". Lead singer Vanity, who is now a Christian preacher, has since denounced the song and has told members of her congregation who listened to the song to "keep praying for the Holy Spirit".
- U.S. 7"
- "Nasty Girl" (2:55)
- "Drive Me Wild" (2:30)
- U.S. 12" Promo
- "Nasty Girl" (LP version) (5:12)
- "Nasty Girl" (Single version) (2:55)
|U.S. Billboard Hot Black Singles||7|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play||1|
|U.S. Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles||1|
Appearances in other media
- "Nasty Girl" was used as a sample for Japanese rapper Twigy's song "Righ' Now."
- "Nasty Girl" was featured in the 1983 Phoebe Cates film Private School, the 1984 box office hit Beverly Hills Cop and the 1996 film Girl 6, directed by Spike Lee.
Inaya Day version
|Single by Inaya Day|
|Inaya Day singles chronology|
Inaya Day's 2004 cover of the song became quite popular. It was released in Australia, peaking at number 18 and remaining on the chart for 11 weeks  there and hit number 1 on the ARIA Club chart. It was released in the UK the same year, peaking at number nine on the UK Singles Chart.
- "Nasty Girl" (Ivan Gough Radio Edit)
- "Nasty Girl" (Mousse T & So Phat Club Mix)
- "Nasty Girl" (John Course & Mr Timothy ReRub)
- "Nasty Girl" (Luke Bowditch Mix)
- "Nasty Girl" (Phuture Grooves: Ajax & Damon Boyd Mix)
- "Nasty Girl" (Wei-Shen & Marcos Mix)
|Australian ARIA Chart||18|
|UK Singles Chart||9|
- In 1993, rap trio Nuttin' Nyce covered the song for their album Down 4 Whateva....
- In 1997, Dutch girl group Sex U All released their version of the song.
- In 2008, pop singer Lene Alexandra covered the song for her album Welcome To The Sillycone Valley.
- Lil' Kim performed the song on her European tour in 2009.
- In 2001, producer Pharrell sampled the song for Britney Spears's hit "Slave For You".
- In 2010, Jazmine Sullivan sampled the song on "Don't Make Me Wait Too Long" from her album Love Me Back.
- "Song credits". Discogs.
- "Vanity denounces music that made her famous". Jet. 30 Jun 1997. p. 32.
- Whitburn, Joel (2005). Bubbling Under The Billboard Hot 100 1959-2004 (2nd ed.). Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Inc. p. 277. ISBN 0-89820-162-4.
- Australians-charts Inaya Day
- Australian Charts
"Don't Go" by Yazoo
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
November 6, 1982 - November 27, 1982 (4 weeks)
"1999" by Prince