|Type of business||Privately held company|
Type of site
Nasza Klasa Sp. z o.o. (~30%)
NK.pl, formerly Nasza-klasa.pl (nasza klasa is Polish for "our class"), is a Polish school-based social networking service used by alumni and students. NK.pl is owned 70% by Forticom, an IT company based in Latvia, and the rest is owned by the Polish Nasza-Klasa Sp.z.o.o., Nasza-Klasa's founding company. Founded in 2006
NK.pl was launched on 11 November 2006 by Maciej Popowicz, Paweł Olchawa, Michał Bartoszkiewicz, and Łukasz Adziński, four college students studying computer science at the University of Wrocław. The company is headquartered in Wrocław, Poland, and its name comes from the song "Nasza Klasa" by Jacek Kaczmarski.
The website enjoyed spectacular growth and success, and one 2009 study called it a "model example of the ‘rags to riches’ ideal of an enterprise construed with no financial funding and no institutional support (neither from ASP/ISP corporations nor from central/local administration)". Specifically, as of 2009 the service had 13.5 million active users. NK.pl ranks among the top five Polish social networking portals, behind Google.pl, Onet.pl, and Wirtualna Polska, and it attracts more than 50% of Polish Internet users (10% of the traffic comes from abroad).
It allows users to register with particular schools and graduation years and users are able to keep and maintain personal pages with details about their personal life and past education. NK.pl does not require an invitation to join but registration is required to browse the service.
NK.pl offers a wide variety of privacy settings which try to make the user feel protected by offering updated advice and instructions about how to safeguard their privacy on NK.pl as well as the portal. It has a privacy team that works with law enforcement to resolve matters related to threatening and dangerous posts and other illegal activity.
NK.pl also works with childcare services such as the Nobody's Children Foundation, which takes care of the healthy psychological and mental development of children.
- Urszula, Jurgiel. "Social death of social networks". Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Serwis społecznościowy nk.pl — platforma komunikacji dla wszystkich internautów — nk.pl". nk.pl. Archived from the original on 2012-07-12.
- Malachowski, Andrzej (2009). "Phenomenon of Nasza klasa (Our Class) Polish social network site" (PDF). Issues in Informing Science & Information Technology. 6: 366.
- Jan Samołyk. "NK gra z WOŚP!". NK.pl. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "World's Top Social Networking Sites". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Nasza Klasa. Jak radzi sobie NK w erze Facebooka?". se.pl. 6 August 2014.
- Klasa, Nasza. "Polityka Prywatności – Ogólne Standardy Ochrony". Nasza Klasa. Retrieved 4 April 2013.