Nat Geo Wild
|Nat Geo Wild|
Nat Geo Wild logo
|Launched||August 21, 2006 (Asia)
March 1, 2007 (Europe, Middle East & Africa)
September 9, 2008 (France)
October 14, 2007 (Italy)
July 31, 2009 (India)
July 2009 (Romania)
November 1, 2009 (Latin America)
November 15, 2009 (Australia)
March 29, 2010 (United States)
August 30, 2010 (Malaysia)
October 4, 2011 (Spain)
May 7, 2012 (Canada)
|Owned by||National Geographic Society
21st Century Fox
(STAR TV and Fox International Channels)
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)
480i 16:9 letterbox format (US)
720p (HDTV US)
Dare to Explore
Follow your instincts
United Arab Emirates
Middle East & Africa
|Headquarters||Washington, District of Columbia|
|Formerly called||Adventure One (UK)
Fox Reality Channel (United States)
|Replaced||Adventure One (UK)
Fox Reality Channel (United States)
|Sister channel(s)||National Geographic Channel
Nat Geo People
National Geographic Abu Dhabi
|evotv (Croatia)||Channel 108|
|Digita (Finland)||Channel 84 (SD)|
|DStv (South Africa)||Channel 182|
|OSN (Middle East
& North Africa)
|Channel 515 (HD)|
|Indovision (Indonesia)||Channel 204|
|Yes (Israel)||Channel 36|
|Dish TV (India)||Channel 471(SD)
Channel 52 (HD)
|Dialog TV (Sri Lanka)||Channel 45|
|Foxtel (Australia)||Channel 616 (SD/HD)
Channel 1616 (SD)
|Tata Sky (India)||Channel 712 (SD)
Channel 711 (HD)
|Dish Network (US)||190 (SD/HD)|
|Astro (Malaysia)||Channel 550|
|Njoi (Malaysia)||Channel 550|
|DishHD (Taiwan)||Channel 6192|
|Skylife||Channel 84 (HD)|
|Cignal Digital TV (Philippines)||Channel 142|
|ZAP (Angola)||Channel 126 (HD)|
|Videocon d2h (India)||Channel 461 (SD)
Channel 462 (HD)
|Sky Net (Myanmar)||Channel 67 (SD)|
|4TV DTH (Myanmar)||Channel 18 (SD)
Channel 66 (HD)
(Middle East & North Africa)
|Channel 102 (HD)|
|Good TV (Thailand)||Channel 54 (HD)|
|Dish Home (Nepal)||Channel 414 (SD)|
|Canal Digital (Finland)||Channel 22 (HD)|
|StarHub TV (Singapore)||Channel 413 (SD/HD)|
|First Media (Indonesia)||Channel 111 (SD)
Channel 361 (HD)
|HOT (Israel)||Channel 45 (HD 545 )|
|Cable TV Hong Kong (Hong Kong)||Channel 50 (SD)
Channel 250 (HD)
|Kbro (Taiwan)||Channel 97|
|TOP UP TV (Thailand)||Channel 7|
|Parasat Cable TV (Philippines)||Channel 320|
|MediaNet (Maldives)||Channel 402
Channel 805 (HD)
|Sky Cable (Philippines)||Channel 66 (Digital)
Channel 193 (HD)
|Macau Cable TV (Macau)||Channel 420 (HD)|
|Destiny Cable (Philippines)||Channel 66 (Digital) Channel 102 (Analog)|
|Cablelink (Philippines)||Channel 57|
|Surigao Cable TV (Philippines)||Channel 42|
|In digital (India)||Channel 291 (SD)
Channel 889 (HD) (Hindi feed)
|Available on many US cable providers||Check local listings|
|Verizon FiOS||Channel 132 (SD)
Channel 632 (HD)
|PEO TV (Sri Lanka)||Channel 57|
|now TV (Hong Kong)||Channel 216 (SD/HD)|
|QOOK TV (South Korea)||Channel 125|
|AT&T U-verse||Channel 1266 (HD)
Channel 266 (SD)
|Mio TV(Singapore)||Channel 207(HD)|
|Fetch TV (Australia)||Channel 123|
|VMedia (Canada)||Channel 69|
|PlayStation Vue||Internet Protocol television|
|Sling TV||Internet Protocol television|
|Foxtel Go||Channel 616|
Nat Geo Wild (stylized as Nat Geo WILD or abbreviated as NGW) is a cable/satellite TV channel focused primarily on wildlife and natural history programming. It is a sister network to National Geographic Channel, and the latest channel to be jointly launched by the National Geographic Society and Fox Cable Networks.
The channel first launched in Hong Kong on January 1, 2006. It later launched in the United Kingdom, Turkey, Ireland, Romania, India, Vietnam, and Poland replacing the now defunct Adventure One. The channel remains the world's first bilingual wildlife service, available in English and Cantonese in the Hong Kong market as well as Tagalog in The Philippines. It launched in Latin America on November 1, 2009 as a high definition channel. In 2010, it launched in the United States.
As of February 2015, approximately 57,891,000 American households (49.7% of households with television) receive Nat Geo Wild.
In Singapore, the channel is carried on the StarHub TV subscription services. Astro carried the channel in Malaysia with four language audio tracks included. Some shows on Nat Geo Wild are aired in Filipino (Tagalog) in the Philippines, which also have multiple languages available. Selected shows also aired on Fox Filipino.
Middle East and North Africa
A high definition feed launched on Foxtel on November 1, 2010. Although the HD feed was expected to launch on Austar in late 2010/early 2011, the channel did not launch until July 1, 2012, after Foxtel acquired Austar.
The channel launched in India on July 31, 2009. It is available on all leading satellite and digital cable operators. In 2013, a Hindi audio feed of Nat Geo Wild was launched. As of 2014, Nat Geo Wild is available in more than 90% of Indian households.
The channel launched on March 1, 2007 in Europe, and now reaches up to 10.5 million homes in the UK via subscription providers Sky and Virgin Media. In Ireland it has more than 500,000 viewers on its UPC Ireland service and Sky Digital.
The channel launched in the United States on March 29, 2010, replacing Fox Reality Channel. Providers that carried it at launch included Time Warner Cable, Comcast, Cox Communications, Verizon Fios and AT&T U-verse. Dish Network did not reach a carriage agreement at launch, but began to broadcast the channel on April 19, 2010. DirecTV didn't carry it at launch either, but added it on June 30, 2010. Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Brighthouse Networks, Verizon FiOS, and AT&T U-verse carry the channel in 720p high definition. DirecTV added the HD feed on August 15, 2012. The Latin American version of the channel launched on November 1, 2009.
- National Geographic Channel
- National Geographic Channel Australia
- National Geographic Channel (UK)
- National Geographic Society
- Nat Geo People
- List of programs broadcast by Nat Geo Wild
- "Dstv.Com". Dstv.Com. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- "National Geographic Channels International launches new channel - Nat Geo Wild" (Press release). National Geographic Channels (International). August 10, 2006. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "HOW TO GET THE CHANNEL - National Geographic Channel - Sub-Saharan Africa". Natgeotv.com. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Knox, David (October 14, 2009). "Nat Geo gets Wild in November". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (November 1, 2010). "SPEED is on the air". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (May 24, 2012). "Foxtel completes Austar merger". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (December 9, 2014). "Fetch TV adds BBC First". TV Tonight. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Perry, Kevin (December 9, 2014). "Big Blow for Foxtel as they Lose Exclusive Rights for Premium Drama Channel BBC First". Nelbie. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-218
- "National Geographic Channel set to go wild" (Press release). National Geographic Channels (International). December 7, 2006. Archived from the original on May 23, 2008. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "Fox Reality Goes Wild as Nat Geo Spinoff". Reuters. 2009-10-16. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- Nat Geo Wild official website
- On August 15 four exciting channels will be available in eye-popping HD! DirecTV press release, August 15, 2012