Nat Geo Wild
|Nat Geo Wild|
|Launched||August 21, 2006 (Asia)|
March 1, 2007 (Europe, Middle East & Africa)
September 9, 2008 (France)
October 14, 2007 (Italy)
July 31, 2009 (India)
July 2009 (Romania)
November 1, 2009 (Latin America)
November 15, 2009 (Australia)
March 29, 2010 (United States)
August 30, 2010 (Malaysia)
October 4, 2011 (Spain)
May 7, 2012 (Canada)
|Owned by||National Geographic Partners, LLC|
(downscaled to 16:9 480i/576i for SDTVs)
(downscaled to 480i letterboxed for SDTVs)
|Slogan||Think again. (2006-2008) |
Dare to Explore (2008-2013)
Follow your instincts (2013-2016)
Get Closer (2016-present)
United Arab Emirates
Middle East & Africa
|Headquarters||Washington, District of Columbia|
|Formerly called||Adventure One (UK)|
Fox Reality Channel (United States)
|Replaced||Adventure One (UK)|
Fox Reality Channel (United States)
|Sister channel(s)|| National Geographic Channel |
Nat Geo People
National Geographic Abu Dhabi
|Nexmedia (Indonesia)||Channel 202|
|Channel 84 (SD)|
& North Africa)
|Channel 515 (HD)|
|Dish TV |
Channel 52 (HD)
|Dialog TV |
|Channel 616 (SD/HD)|
Channel 1616 (SD)
|Tata Sky |
|Channel 712 (SD)|
Channel 711 (HD)
|Dish Network |
|Channel 190 (SD/HD)|
|Channel 84 (HD)|
|Cignal Digital TV |
|Channel 126 (HD)|
|Videocon d2h |
|Channel 461 (SD) |
|Sky Net |
|Channel 63 (SD) |
Channel 103 (HD)
|Channel 305 (HD)|
|Good TV |
|Channel 54 (HD)|
|Channel 414 (SD)|
|Canal Digital |
|Channel 22 (HD)|
|DirecTV (US)||Channel 283 (SD/HD)|
|Channel 413 (SD/HD)|
|First Media |
|Channel 111 (SD)|
Channel 361 (HD)
|Channel 45 (HD 545 )|
|Cable TV Hong Kong |
|Channel 751 (SD)|
Channel 702 (HD)
|TOP UP TV |
|Parasat Cable TV |
Channel 805 (HD)
|Sky Cable |
|Channel 66 (Digital) |
Channel 193 (HD)
|Macau Cable TV |
|Channel 420 (HD)|
|Destiny Cable |
|Channel 66 (Digital) |
Channel 102 (Analog)
|Surigao Cable TV (Philippines)||Channel 42|
|In digital (India)||Channel 291 (SD) |
Channel 889 (HD, Hindi audio only)
|Asianet Digital TV |
|Channel 408 (SD)|
|Available on most US operators||Channel slots vary on each provider|
|Verizon FiOS||Channel 132 (SD) |
Channel 632 (HD)
|PEO TV |
|Channel 216 (SD/HD)|
|AT&T U-verse||Channel 1266 (HD)|
Channel 266 (SD)
|Channel 509 (HD)|
|PlayStation Vue||Internet Protocol television|
|Sling TV||Internet Protocol television|
|Foxtel Go||Channel 616|
|YouTube TV||Internet Protocol television|
Nat Geo Wild (stylized as Nat Geo WILD or abbreviated as NGW) is an international pay TV network focused primarily on wildlife and natural history programming. It is a sister network to National Geographic Channel, and the latest channel to be jointly launched by the National Geographic Society and Fox Cable Networks.
The channel first launched in Hong Kong on January 1, 2006. It later launched in the United Kingdom, Turkey, Ireland, Romania, India, Vietnam, and Poland replacing the now defunct Adventure One. The channel remains the world's first bilingual wildlife service, available in English and Cantonese in the Hong Kong market as well as Tagalog in The Philippines. It launched in Latin America on November 1, 2009 as a high definition channel. In 2010, it launched in the United States.
As of February 2015, approximately 57,891,000 American households (49.7% of households with television) receive Nat Geo Wild.
In Singapore, the channel is carried on the StarHub TV subscription services. Astro carried the channel in Malaysia with four language audio tracks included. Some shows on Nat Geo Wild are aired in Filipino (Tagalog) in the Philippines, which also have multiple languages available. Selected shows also aired on Fox Filipino.
Middle East and North Africa
A high definition feed launched on Foxtel on November 1, 2010. Although the HD feed was expected to launch on Austar in late 2010/early 2011, the channel did not launch until July 1, 2012, after Foxtel acquired Austar.
The channel launched in India on July 31, 2009. It is available on all leading satellite and digital cable operators. In 2013, a Hindi audio feed of Nat Geo Wild was launched. As of 2014, Nat Geo Wild is available in more than 90% of Indian households. At present it's available in English, Telugu, Hindi & Tamil languages.
The channel launched on March 1, 2007 in Europe, and now reaches up to 10.5 million homes in the UK via subscription providers Sky and Virgin Media. In Ireland it has more than 500,000 viewers on its UPC Ireland service and Sky Digital.
The channel launched in the United States on March 29, 2010, replacing Fox Reality Channel. Providers that carried it at launch included Time Warner Cable, Comcast, Cox Communications, Verizon Fios and AT&T U-verse. Dish Network did not reach a carriage agreement at launch, but began to broadcast the channel on April 19, 2010. DirecTV didn't carry it at launch either, but added it on June 30, 2010. Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Brighthouse Networks, Verizon FiOS, and AT&T U-verse carry the channel in 720p high definition. DirecTV added the HD feed on August 15, 2012. The Latin American version of the channel launched on November 1, 2009 and it is broadcast in 1080i.
- National Geographic Channel
- National Geographic Channel Australia
- National Geographic Channel (UK)
- National Geographic Society
- Nat Geo People
- List of programs broadcast by Nat Geo Wild
- "Dstv.Com". Dstv.Com. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- "National Geographic Channels International launches new channel - Nat Geo Wild" (Press release). National Geographic Channels (International). August 10, 2006. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "HOW TO GET THE CHANNEL - National Geographic Channel - Sub-Saharan Africa". Natgeotv.com. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Knox, David (October 14, 2009). "Nat Geo gets Wild in November". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (November 1, 2010). "SPEED is on the air". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (May 24, 2012). "Foxtel completes Austar merger". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (December 9, 2014). "Fetch TV adds BBC First". TV Tonight. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Perry, Kevin (December 9, 2014). "Big Blow for Foxtel as they Lose Exclusive Rights for Premium Drama Channel BBC First". Nelbie. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- (CRTC), Government of Canada, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. "ARCHIVED - NatGeo Wild – Specialty Category B service". www.crtc.gc.ca.
- "National Geographic Channel set to go wild" (Press release). National Geographic Channels (International). December 7, 2006. Archived from the original on May 23, 2008. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "Fox Reality Goes Wild as Nat Geo Spinoff". Reuters. 2009-10-16. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "National Geographic Channel". www.natgeowild.com.
- On August 15 four exciting channels will be available in eye-popping HD! DirecTV press release, August 15, 2012