Nat Geo Wild
United Arab Emirates and Egypt
Middle East & Africa
(downscaled to 16:9 480i/576i for the SDTV feed)
(downscaled to letterboxed 480i for the SDTV feed)
|Owner||National Geographic Partners|
(Disney International Operations)
|Launched||21 August 2006 (Asia)|
1 March 2007 (Europe, Middle East & Africa)
9 September 2008 (France)
14 October 2007 (Italy)
31 July 2009 (India)
July 2009 (Romania)
1 November 2009 (Latin America)
15 November 2009 (Australia)
29 March 2010 (United States)
30 August 2010 (Malaysia)
9 September 2011 (Turkey)
4 October 2011 (Spain)
1 October 2011 (Japan)
7 May 2012 (Canada)
1 December 2021 (Thailand)
|Replaced||Adventure One (UK)|
Fox Reality Channel (United States)
|Closed||January 31, 2021 (Japan) |
March 1, 2021 (SD feed, Malaysia)
September 23, 2021 (Transvision feed, Indonesia)
October 1, 2021 (Biznet Home feed, Indonesia)
March 31, 2022 (Latin America)
October 1, 2022 (Italy and Russia & Belarus)
November 25, 2022 (Ukraine)
January 31, 2023 (Germany)
|Nex Parabola (Indonesia)||Channel 202|
|Channel 84 (SD)|
|YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV, FuboTV|
National Geographic Wild (shortened as Nat Geo Wild and abbreviated NGW) is a global pay television network owned by National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company (73%) and the National Geographic Society (27%). The channel primarily focuses on wildlife and natural history non-fiction programming. It is a sister network to National Geographic TV.
The channel first launched in Hong Kong on 1 January 2006. It later launched in the United Kingdom, Turkey, Ireland, Romania, India, Vietnam, and Poland replacing the now defunct Adventure One. The channel remains the world's first bilingual wildlife service, available in English and Cantonese in the Hong Kong market as well as Tagalog in The Philippines. It launched in Latin America on 1 November 2009 as a high definition channel. In 2010, it launched in the United States.
As of February 2015, approximately 57,891,000 American households (49.7% of households with television) receive Nat Geo Wild.
It was launched on Zuku TV on Channel 416.
National Geographic Wild launched on Azam TV along with National Geographic.
In July 2021, National Geographic Wild was replaced by Animal Planet on Zuku TV and given to Channel 420.
In Singapore, the channel is carried on the StarHub TV subscription services. Astro and Unifi TV carried the channel in Malaysia with four language audio tracks included. Some shows on Nat Geo Wild are aired in Filipino (Tagalog) in the Philippines, which also have multiple languages available. Selected shows also aired on Fox Filipino (now defunct).
In Japan, the channel launched on January 10, 2011 and its carried on the Sky PerfecTV! subscription services. The Japanese version of the channel was closed on January 31, 2021.
Middle East and North Africa
A high definition feed launched on Foxtel on 1 November 2010. Although the HD feed was expected to launch on Austar in late 2010/early 2011, the channel did not launch until 1 July 2012, after Foxtel acquired Austar.
The channel launched on 1 March 2007 in Europe, and now reaches up to 10.5 million homes in the UK.
A French Nat Geo Wild was launched on 9 September 2008. Its HD feed launched on 8 November 2011. It is available in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Africa and many other islands.
On 14 October 2007, an Italian Nat Geo Wild was launched on Sky Italia. It is also available in Switzerland. Its HD feed was launched on 1 February 2012 and a 1-hour timeshift feed on 28 September 2014. The channel shut down on October 1, 2022, alongside the National Geographic channel in Italy.
A Spanish Nat Geo Wild was launched on 1 October 2011.
The channel was launched in the United States on 29 March 2010, replacing Fox Reality Channel. Providers which carried the channel at the time of its launch included Time Warner Cable, Comcast, Cox Communications, Verizon Fios and AT&T U-verse. Dish Network did not reach a carriage agreement at launch, but began to broadcast the channel on 19 April 2010. DirecTV didn't carry the channel at the time of its launch either, but it added the channel to its lineup on 30 June. DirecTV added the HD feed on 15 August 2012.
- National Geographic TV
- National Geographic Society
- Nat Geo People
- List of programs broadcast by Nat Geo Wild
- Littleton, Cynthia (March 19, 2019). "Disney Closes $71 Billion 21st Century Fox Deal". Variety. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- "National Geographic Channels International launches new channel - Nat Geo Wild" (Press release). National Geographic Channels (International). August 10, 2006. Archived from the original on April 25, 2012. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Archived from the original on February 23, 2015. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "HOW TO GET THE CHANNEL - National Geographic Channel - Sub-Saharan Africa". Natgeotv.com. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Knox, David (October 14, 2009). "Nat Geo gets Wild in November". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (November 1, 2010). "SPEED is on the air". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (May 24, 2012). "Foxtel completes Austar merger". TV Tonight. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- Knox, David (December 9, 2014). "Fetch TV adds BBC First". TV Tonight. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- Perry, Kevin (December 9, 2014). "Big Blow for Foxtel as they Lose Exclusive Rights for Premium Drama Channel BBC First". Nelbie. Archived from the original on December 19, 2014. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- (CRTC), Government of Canada, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. "ARCHIVED - NatGeo Wild – Specialty Category B service". www.crtc.gc.ca.
- "National Geographic Channel set to go wild" (Press release). National Geographic Channels (International). December 7, 2006. Archived from the original on May 23, 2008. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "Sky: il 1° ottobre 2022 chiude il canale National Geographic". September 21, 2022. Retrieved September 27, 2022.
- "Fox Reality Goes Wild as Nat Geo Spinoff". Reuters. 2009-10-16. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "National Geographic Channel". www.natgeowild.com.
- On August 15 four exciting channels will be available in eye-popping HD! DirecTV press release, August 15, 2012
- Cardozo, Alberto (January 10, 2022). "Disney XD, Nat Geo Kids, Star Life, Nat Geo Wild y FXM cesarán, transmisiones en Latinoamérica en marzo". ANMTVLA (in Spanish). Retrieved January 10, 2022.