Nat Geo Wild (Canada)
|Nat Geo Wild|
Nat Geo Wild logo
|Launched||May 7, 2012|
|Owned by||Corus Entertainment (64%)
National Geographic (20% direct, 16% indirect)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Sister channel(s)||National Geographic|
|Website||Nat Geo Wild Canada|
|Bell TV||Channel 1610 (HD)|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 552 (SD)
Channel 092 (HD)
|Cogeco||Channel 409 (SD)
Channel 824 (HD)
|EastLink||Channel 749 (HD)|
|Rogers Cable||Channel 289 (SD)
Channel 296 (HD)
|Shaw Cable||Channel 175 ([SD)
Channel 266 (HD)
|Videotron||Channel 118 (SD)
Channel 718 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 1530 (HD)|
|Bell MTS||Channel 276 (SD)
Channel 1276 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 9723 (SD)
Channel 723 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 69 (SD)
Channel 369 (HD)
|Vmedia||Channel 69 (HD)|
Nat Geo Wild is a Canadian English-language Category B specialty channel owned by Corus Entertainment and National Geographic Channel. The channel airs programming devoted to wildlife, nature, and animals.
In April 2010, Shaw Media (the majority owner and operator of the Canadian version]] of National Geographic Channel) had requested the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to add the American version of Nat Geo Wild to the list of available foreign channels permitted to broadcast in Canada. Both High Fidelity HDTV (the owner of Oasis HD) and CTV Speciality Television Inc. (the major owner of the Canadian version of Animal Planet) sent letters to CRTC to oppose the request because they considered Nat Geo Wild to be competitive with Oasis HD and Animal Planet. The CRTC denied the application on February 15, 2011.
In October 2011, NGC Channel Inc. (a company owned by Shaw and National Geographic Channel in the U.S.) put forth its own application to the CRTC in order to launch a Canadian version of Nat Geo Wild. The licence was approved by the CRTC on April 13, 2012. Neither High Fidelity HDTV nor Bell Media voiced a concern about Nat Geo Wild competing with their services.
In April 30, 2012, Shaw released a statement that the Canada version of Nat Geo Wild was scheduled to be launched on May 7, 2012. The channel was launched in standard and high definition. On April 1, 2016, Shaw Media was sold to Corus Entertainment.
- (CRTC), Government of Canada, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. "ARCHIVED - Call for comments on the proposed addition of National Geographic Wild to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis". crtc.gc.ca.
- (CRTC), Government of Canada, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. "ARCHIVED - Addition of National Geographic Wild to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis". crtc.gc.ca.
- (CRTC), Government of Canada, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. "ARCHIVED - Notice of hearing - 18 January 2012 - Miramichi, New Brunswick - Deadline for submission of interventions/comments/answers: 28 November 2011". crtc.gc.ca.
- (CRTC), Government of Canada, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. "ARCHIVED - NatGeo Wild – Specialty Category B service". crtc.gc.ca.
- "Shaw Media invites viewers to get wildly close to animals with the launch of Nat Geo Wild". www.newswire.ca.
- "Corus Entertainment Completes Acquisition of Shaw Media". Retrieved April 2, 2016.