Greater Natal International Airport
São Gonçalo do Amarante–Governador Aluízio Alves International Airport
Aeroporto Internacional de São Gonçalo do Amarante–Governador Aluízio Alves
|Location||São Gonçalo do Amarante, Brazil|
|Opened||May 31, 2014|
Rio Grande do Norte/São Gonçalo do Amarante–Governador Aluízio Alves International Airport (IATA: NAT, ICAO: SBSG) is an airport in São Gonçalo do Amarante, Brazil. It serves Natal and its metropolitan area.
The airport is administrated by Consortium Inframérica
Governador Aluízio Alves International Airport is a new airport complex in São Gonçalo do Amarante, near Natal, Brazil, built to replace Augusto Severo International Airport. Planning for the airport started in 2007 envisioning concepts of an intermodal airport, focusing both on passenger and cargo transportation. The complex is expected to have the highest aircraft traffic in the Northeast.
On May 12, 2011, the National Civil Aviation Agency of Brazil (ANAC) released a document opening the concession of the airport to private entrepreneurs. The auction to choose the winner took place on August 22, 2011. The winner was an Inframérica Consortium, formed by the Brazilian Engineering Group Engevix (50%) and the Argentinean Group Corporación América (50%).
After the signature of the contract of concession, works of the passenger and cargo terminals started. Inframérica Consortium had 3 years to build the terminals and is authorized to commercially explore the facility for 25 years (with one possible 5-year extension). Differently from other Infraero airports in process of privatization, in which Infraero retains 49% of the shares, in the case of Natal Consórcio Inframérica got 100% of the shares. On February 6, 2012 Consortium Inframérica also won the concession of Brasília–Presidente Juscelino Kubitschek International Airport.
The airport was opened for operations on May 31, 2014, when airlines moved their domestic operations to this facility. International operations were moved a few days later. The airport is the first airport in Brazil operated by a private sector company.
Airlines and destinations
|Avianca Brazil||Brasília, São Paulo-Guarulhos|
|Azul Brazilian Airlines||Belo Horizonte-Confins, Campinas, Fernando de Noronha, Recife|
|Corendon Dutch Airlines||Seasonal: Amsterdam (begins 10 November 2019)|
|Gol Airlines|| Brasília, Buenos Aires-Ezeiza, Fortaleza, Rio de Janeiro-Galeão, Salvador da Bahia, São Paulo-Guarulhos |
Seasonal: Belo Horizonte-Confins, Goiânia, São Paulo-Congonhas
|LATAM Brasil||Brasília, Fortaleza, Rio de Janeiro-Galeão, São Paulo-Guarulhos|
|TAP Air Portugal||Lisbon|
|Lufthansa Cargo||Dakar–Diass, Frankfurt|
|1||São Paulo-Guarulhos, SP||406,787||Avianca Brazil, Azul Brazilian Airlines, GOL Airlines, LATAM Brazil|
|2||Rio de Janeiro-Galeão, RJ||209,397||GOL Airlines, LATAM Brazil|
|3||Brasília, DF||200,497||Avianca Brazil, GOL Airlines, LATAM Brazil|
|4||Recife, PE||81,272||Azul Brazilian Airlines|
|5||Fortaleza, CE||73,078||GOL Airlines, LATAM Brazil|
|6||São Paulo-Congonhas, SP||55,011||GOL Airlines|
|7||Salvador, BA||41,201||GOL Airlines|
|8||Campinas, SP||39,681||Azul Brazilian Airlines|
|9||Belo Horizonte-Confins, MG||25,544||Azul Brazilian Airlines|
|10||Fernando de Noronha, PE||9,643||Azul Brazilian Airlines|
|1||Lisbon, Portugal||32,419||TAP Portugal|
|2||Buenos Aires-Ezeiza, Argentina||7,271||GOL Airlines|
The airport is located 25 km (16 mi) from downtown Natal.
- "Airport Official Website" (in Portuguese). Inframérica.
- "Lista de aeródromos públicos" (in Portuguese). ANAC.
- "Lei n 12.920 de 24 de dezembro de 2013" (in Portuguese). Presidência da República. 24 December 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Nelson Tavares diz que aeroporto de São Gonçalo fica pronto até 2014" (in Portuguese). Retrieved December 29, 2010.
- Larissa, Karla (July 15, 2007). "ZPE: desenvolvimento econômico do agronegócio a alta tecnologia" (in Portuguese). Nominuto.com. Retrieved May 3, 2010.
- "Estudo de viablidade do aeroporto será concluído em 6 meses" (in Portuguese). Nominuto.com. January 12, 2010. Retrieved May 3, 2010.
- "Regulatory Model: Concession of São Gonçalo do Amarante International Airport" (PDF). ANAC. June 7, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- "Comissão de licitação: Comunicado n. 20/2011" (PDF) (in Portuguese). ANAC. July 7, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Guimarães, Ligia (August 22, 2011). "Consórcio Inframérica vence leilão de aeroporto São Gonçalo do Amarante" (in Portuguese). G1. Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- Pupo, Fábio (August 23, 2011). "Engevix leva aeroporto e já olha novos terminais" (in Portuguese). ValorOnline. Retrieved August 26, 2011.
- Rittner, Daniel (February 7, 2012). "Cumbica, Viracopos e Brasília são privatizados" (in Portuguese). Valor Econômico. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- "Veja fotos do aeroporto de São Gonçalo do Amarante" (in Portuguese). Panrotas. June 4, 2014. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Primeiro aeroporto privado está em Natal" (in Portuguese). Estadão. 23 September 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Dados Estatísticos".