Vodianova in 2009
|Born||Наталья Михайловна Водянова
28 February 1982
Gorky, Soviet Union
|Spouse(s)||Justin Portman (m. 2001; separated 2011)|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||52 kg (115 lb; 8.2 st)|
|Hair color||Light brown|
86–61–86 (centimeters) 
|Dress size||4 US/34 EU/6 UK|
Natalia Mikhailovna Vodianova (Russian: Наталья Михайловна Водянова; pronounced [nɐˈtalʲjə mʲɪˈxajləvnə vədʲɪˈnovə]; born 28 February 1982), nicknamed Supernova, is a Russian model, philanthropist and occasional film actress. She is well known for her rags to riches life story and for her eight-season, seven-figure contract with Calvin Klein. In 2012, she came in third on the Forbes top-earning models list, estimated to have earned $8.6 million in one year.
Born in Gorky, Soviet Union (now Nizhny Novgorod, Russia), Vodianova grew up in a poor district of the city (Avtozavod) with her mother, and two half sisters Kristina and Oksana, one of whom has cerebral palsy. As a teenager, Vodianova helped her mother sell fruit on the street and later set up her own fruit stand with a friend to help her family out of poverty. Vodianova's father walked out on the family when she was a toddler, and she did not have any further contact with him until after she had become famous.
Vodianova has achieved high fashion success as a runway, editorial and advertising campaign model. To date, Vodianova has walked in more than 300 runway shows for U.S. and European based designers' ready-to-wear and haute couture collections, has appeared in editorial spreads in fashion magazines worldwide and has completed advertising campaigns for Guerlain, Givenchy, Calvin Klein, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Gucci, Nina Ricci, Versace, Yves Saint Laurent, L'Oréal, David Yurman, Marc Jacobs, Stella McCartney, Diane von Fürstenberg, Hugo Boss, Stuart Weitzman, Etam and others.
Vodianova has graced the cover of major magazines including Vanity Fair, American Vogue, British Vogue, Vogue Paris, Vogue Italia, Vogue China, Vogue Russia, Vogue Australia, Vogue España, Vogue Germany, Vogue Turkey, Vogue Japan, Vogue Korea, W (magazine), Numéro, i-D Magazine, Marie Claire, GQ, Elle magazine, Allure, Glamour magazine, Pop magazine, Cosmopolitan, Harper's Bazaar, L'Officiel, Grazia, Esquire Russia, and Interview (magazine). Photographed by Steven Meisel, She made her first appearance on the cover of the U.S. Vogue in the September 2004 edition, (alongside Gisele Bündchen and Daria Werbowy) as one of the "Models of the Moment". Vodianova then appeared as the solo cover subject of the July 2007 edition of the magazine. During this time period, other covers of the American Vogue have all featured non-model celebrities with only three other exceptions: models Linda Evangelista, Liya Kebede and Gisele Bündchen. In May 2009, Vodianova was again featured on the cover of U.S. Vogue as one of the "Model Faces of the Moment". As of 2014, Vodianova has appeared on the cover of British Vogue ten times; the first was the September 2003 issue. and as of December 2015, she has appeared in a total of 70 international Vogue covers.
In Spring 2009, Vodianova entered into a three-year agreement to be a brand ambassador for the French lingerie company Etam and will design a lingerie collection each season during the term of the agreement. The collections will be marketed under the brand Natalia pour Etam. Vodianova has a contract with Guerlain, a French perfume house and cosmetics line, which was acquired in 1994 by the LVMH group, a multinational investment corporation specializing in luxury brands.
Vodianova was ranked 14th in the UK channel Five's 2005 television programme World's Greatest Supermodel. Forbes magazine estimates Vodianova earned $4.5 million (USD) between August 2006 and July 2007, $4.8 million (USD) between May 2007 and April 2008 and $5.5 million (USD) between June 2008 and June 2009, making her the seventh highest earning model worldwide during all three time periods.
On 12 December 2009, she was designated an ambassador of the Sochi 2014 Winter Games, becoming a ‘face’ and key advocate of Russia’s first Winter Games. In 2010, she appeared at the Vancouver Olympic Closing Ceremony within that role.
In 2010, she was named in Tatler’s top 10 best-dressed list.
In 2014, Vodianova appeared on the September Cover of Vanity Fair shot by photographer Mario Testino. Vodianova was one of 50 models on the September 2014 cover of Vogue Italia, the magazine's 50th anniversary issue. She has also appeared on a solo cover for Vogue Paris in the September issue, her 6th cover for the magazine. In the November Issue, Vodianova graced of the cover of U.S. Vogue shot by Annie Leibovitz, this marks as her fourth U.S. Vogue cover and second solo U.S. Vogue cover since her appearance in July 2007. Vodianova fronted the Stella McCartney campaign for the Spring / Summer 2015 and Fall / Winter 2015 collections.
In 2015, Vodianova returned as the face of Calvin Klein's Euphoria fragrance shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, ten years since her first exclusive contract with Calvin Klein. This marks Vodianova's return as the original face of the Calvin Klein Euphoria fragrance, "Calvin Klein has been such an integral part of my career, and I am honored to be the face of the new Euphoria campaign," said Vodianova. Vice President of Calvin Klein Fragrances, Coty Inc, Friedemann Schmid commented on Vodianova's return to the brand. "Natalia Vodianova truly embodies the sensual glamour and sophistication of the Euphoria woman".Vodianova ranked No. 5 on the 2015 Forbes list of highest earning models, earning an estimated $7 million.
In 2001, Vodianova made a brief appearance in Roman Coppola’s film CQ with Billy Zane. In 2010, she portrayed Medusa in the 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans. In October 2010, Vodianova landed her first leading acting role in a film adaptation of Albert Cohen's 1968 novel Belle du Seigneur, directed by Glenio Bonder and co-starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers. It was released in 2013.
Vodianova is a founder of the Naked Heart Foundation, a philanthropic organisation that strives to provide a safe and inspiring environment in which to play for every child living in urban Russia and to help support families raising kids with disabilities.
She was inspired to found the charity after the Beslan tragedy. Natalia's idea was to distract children who survived with play from their psychological trauma. The organisation built its first play park in 2006 in Nizhny Novgorod. It has since built nearly 90 more including one in Beslan.
The main fundraising event of the Naked Heart Foundation is the Love Ball. The first Love Ball Natalia organised in Moscow in 2008, the next two took place in London (2010) and in Paris (2011). In 2013 Natalia will organise the Love Ball in Monte-Carlo under the high patronage of Albert II, Prince of Monaco, and Charlene, Princess of Monaco.
Vodianova also lends her support to a number of philanthropic causes, such as the (Bugaboo)RED campaign, an initiative to help eliminate AIDS in Africa. That same year, Vodianova became an ambassador for Hear the World, a global campaign that seeks to raise awareness of the topic of hearing and hearing loss and to promote good hearing all over the world.
She is also a spokesperson for the Tiger Trade Campaign, an alliance of 38 organisations united under the common aim "to bring back wild tigers by stopping trade in tiger parts and products from all sources." In an interview supporting the campaign, Vodianova said: "I'm proud that Russia, my country, is home to the most magnicifent of animals, the wild Siberian tiger. Today it is up to us to protect the tiger and its home, fewer than 350 Siberian tigers remain in the wild and no more than 3,400 tigers survive anywhere in the world. Unless we act now we will see the extinction of the wild tiger within our lifetime."
In November 2010, Harper's Bazaar awarded Vodianova with the Inspiration of the Year Award, given in recognition of her philanthropic efforts.
In April 2013, she was honored with the Inspiration Award at the fourth annual DVF Awards. The award is given to women "who have demonstrated leadership, strength and courage in the face of adversity, and who use their influence to effect positive change." The same year, she was also the recipient of Harper's Bazaar's Philanthropist of the Year Award.
On November 10, 2014, Vodianova was one of the honored 2014 Glamour Woman of the Year for her contribution and philanthropy as The Voice for Children. The ceremony was held at Carnegie Hall, with Arianna Huffington presenting the award to Vodianova.
Vodianova met Justin Portman (b. 1969), half-brother of the 10th Viscount Portman, a British property heir, former artist and chess organizer at a Paris dinner in 2001. They married in November 2001 when she was 8 months pregnant. In September 2002, over nine months after registering the marriage in the UK, they had a wedding ceremony in St. Petersburg, where Vodianova wore a dress designed by Tom Ford. The couple has three children: son Lucas Alexander (born 22 December 2001), daughter Neva (born 24 March 2006), and son Viktor (born 13 September 2007). Viktor is named after Vodianova's late grandfather, who had helped raise her after her father's departure, and Neva is named after the Russian river of the same name. Vodianova and Portman announced their separation in June 2011.
Following her separation from Portman, Vodianova began a relationship with Antoine Arnault, son of LVMH founder Bernard Arnault and the CEO of luxury brand Berluti. The couple's son, Maxim, was born on 2 May 2014.
- "Natalia Vodianova – Fashion Model – Profile on FMD". Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved 2009-11-06.
- "Profile of fashion model Natalia Vodianova". Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Natalia Vodianova - Fashion Model - Profile". NYMag.com. New York Media LLC. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "On the school run with Natalia Vodianova". Telegraph.co.uk. October 10, 2012.
- "Natalia Vodianova Moves Beyond the Runway". online.wsj.com. May 13, 2013.
- Solomon, Brian (14 June 2012). "The World's Highest Paid Models". Forbes.com. Forbes.com LLC. Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "About Us - Our Founders". Naked Heart Foundation. Archived from the original on 2009-05-15. Retrieved 2009-03-08.
- Natalia Vodianova (13 January 2008). "How I get dressed". London: The Observer. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- Camilla Long (3 February 2008). "Supernova Heights; the Sussex home of Natalia Vodianova". London: The Sunday Times. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "Horoscopes - Celebs - Pisces - Natalia Vodianova". Elle (UK) website. Hachette Filipacchi (UK) Ltd. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Profile of Fashion Model Natalia Vodianova". Fashion Model Directory. Retrieved 2009-03-08.
- "Vogue's July Model Cover". Miss Stylologist blog. 2 July 2007. Retrieved 2009-03-08.
- September 2004 American Vogue
- "Vogue Magazine Archive (Vogue.com UK)". Vogue (UK) website. CondéNetUK Limited. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- Jessica Bumpus (9 February 2009). "Model Designs". Vogue (UK) website. CondéNetUK Limited. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- Blakeley, Kiri (16 July 2007). "In Pictures: The World's Top-Earning Models". Forbes.com. Forbes.com LLC. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- Blakeley, Kiri (30 April 2008). "In Pictures: The World's 15 Top-Earning Models". Forbes.com. Forbes.com LLC. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- Streib, Lauren (27 May 2009). "In Pictures: The World's Top-Earning Models". Forbes.com. Forbes.com LLC. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- "Channel 1 Russia press conference - News - Eurovision Song Contest - Moscow 2009". Eurovision Song Contest Official Website. EBU. 11 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "Sochi 2014 Launches New Paralympic Games Emblem on Russia's First Ever International Paralympic Winter Day". Sochi 2014 Official Website. Sochi.ru. 12 December 2009. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Daily Mail 30 January 2010 Who's that new Tatler girl? Unknowns make mark in style bible's best-dressed Top 10 - including girl who loves Harrods doughnuts
- "Natalia Vodianova Returns as the Face of Calvin Klein’s Euphoria". Style.com. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "euphoria Calvin Klein Announces New Global Advertising Campaign Featuring Supermodel Natalia Vodianova To Celebrate Fragrance's 10th Anniversary". Marketwatch. Retrieved 2015-07-16.
- "The World's Highest-Paid Models 2015". Forbes. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "Natalia Vodianova Filmography". Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved 2009-03-08.
- "About Us - Trustees". Naked Heart Foundation. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "About Us - Our Mission". Naked Heart Foundation. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- "What We Do - Map". Naked Heart Foundation. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- The Naked Heart Foundation Benefit Set for July in Monaco - Fashion Scoops - Fashion - WWD.com
- "Natalia Vodianova naked for Bugaboo (Red)". Retrieved 2010-11-04.
- "The ambassadors - Hear the World". Hear the World. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "End Tiger Trade: International Tiger Coalition". Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Natalia Vodianova supports Asian tigers". Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Natalia Vodianova an inspiration at Harper's Bazaar Women of the Year Awards". Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Natalia Vodianova Honoured At DVF Awards". Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "The 2013 Harper’s Bazaar Women Of The Year Awards". Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "The Voice for Children: Natalia Vodianova". Julia Ioffe. Glamour. 6 November 2014.
- [dead link]
- ChessBase News | Kramnik and Blancpain in Moscow
- [dead link]
- "Afterwards: congratulations Nati!". Models Blog. 3 April 2006. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "Monday's Muse: Natalia Vodianova". Amour Amour Blog. 5 October 2009. Retrieved 2011-06-01.
- Kay, Richard (6 November 2007). "Beeb gets its tutus in a twist". London: Daily Mail. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- Dolly Jones (29 March 2006). "Natalia's Girl Arrives". Vogue (UK). Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- "Putting Fairy Tales and Fashion in Play " The New York Times (2011)
- "Natalia Vodianova’s new lover is LVMH boss Bernard Arnault’s son Antoine." Telegraph.co.uk (2011) ; Natalia Vodianova et Antoine Arnault arrivent au défilé Vuitton le 3 octobre à Paris, Purepeople.com. 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Natalia Vodianova.|
- Natalia Vodianova at the Fashion Model Directory
- Natalia Vodianova at the Internet Movie Database
- Profile at AskMen.com
- Naked Heart Foundation
|Awards and achievements|
Jovana Janković and Željko Joksimović
|Eurovision Song Contest presenter
(Semi-finals, with Andrey Malakhov)
Nadia Hasnaoui, Haddy Jatou N'jie
and Erik Solbakken