|Born||April 28, 1972
Norwich, New York
|Alma mater||Bates College|
Early life and education
Friend was born in a town in upstate New York, to an English professor father and poet/actress mother. She began writing books at the age of nine.
She has taught at the Brearley School in New York City, and Ecole Bilingue-International School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Friend also served as director of the Brimmer and May Summer Camp in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.
Friend's writing has appeared in Family Fun magazine and the book Chicken Soup for the Volunteer's Soul. In 2004, her first book, the young adult fiction novel Perfect, won the Milkweed Prize for Children’s Literature.
- 2004 — Perfect — Milkweed Editions
- 2006 — Lush: A Novel — Scholastic Corporation
- 2009 — Bounce — Scholastic Corporation
- 2010 — For Keeps
- 2012 - My Life in Black and White
- 2016 - Where You'll Find Me
- Isinglass Teen Book Award, 2008
- Golden Sower Award, 2007
- Black-Eyed Susan Award nominee, 2007-2008
- Book Sense Pick, 2005
- Milkweed Prize for Children's Literature, 2004
- Rhode Island Teen Book Award, 2008
- A.L.A. Quick Pick for Reluctant Readers, 2006
- One of NYPL's Best Books for the Teen Age, 2008
For Keeps- Parper Back 2011