Emmanuel at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con International
Nathalie Joanne Emmanuel|
2 March 1989
Southend-on-Sea, Essex, England
Nathalie Joanne Emmanuel (born 2 March 1989) is an English actress. Emmanuel began her acting career appearing in theatre in the late 1990s, accruing roles in various West End productions such as the musical The Lion King. In 2006, she began her on-screen career by starring as Sasha Valentine in soap opera Hollyoaks, after which she appeared in various British television series until her debut film appearance in Twenty8k. Emmanuel gained international recognition by starring as Missandei in the fantasy series Game of Thrones, and achieved further fame with supporting roles in action films Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (2015), Furious 7 (2015), The Fate of the Furious (2017) and Maze Runner: The Death Cure (2018).
Emmanuel was born on 2 March 1989 in Southend-on-Sea, a seaside resort town in Essex, England. Emmanuel is the second child of a Dominiquais mother, and a father of half-Saint Lucian and half English descent. Emmanuel demonstrated an affinity for the arts at an early age; she recalled that her mother first took notice of her passion and desire to become an actress during Emmanuel's attendance at the independent St Hilda's School (now closed) and later grammar Westcliff High School for Girls. In an interview with the New York Daily News, she commented, "When I was 3, [I'd] always cause drama that my mum decided maybe I should channel it properly—so she started me on acting, singing and dancing classes". At the age of 10, she played Young Nala in the West End production of the musical The Lion King.
In 2006, she made her television break by starring as Sasha Valentine in the soap opera Hollyoaks. Emmanuel appeared on the show until 2010, her character's storylines included prostitution, and heroin addiction.
In January 2012, Emmanuel presented BBC Three's Websex: What's the Harm?, investigating the online sexual habits of 16–24 year olds in the UK. Later in the same year she made her film debut in the thriller Twenty8k. The following year, she was cast as Missandei, Daenerys Targaryen's interpreter, in HBO's fantasy drama series Game of Thrones. In a recent interview with Jimmy Kimmel, she confirmed that she received the news about winning the role when she was working in a clothes store as a shop assistant.
In 2015, Emmanuel was promoted to a regular cast member on the show. In the same year, she played computer hacker Ramsey in the action film Furious 7 and Harriet in the science fiction adventure Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. For the former Emmanuel won the Screen Nation award for Best Female Performance in Film.
In the media
FHM magazine ranked Emmanuel as 99th in their 100 Sexiest Women of 2013, and 75th in their Sexiest Women of 2015. In 2015, she also appeared in the April issue of InStyle and GQ magazines.
|2015||Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials||Harriet|
|2017||The Fate of the Furious||Ramsey|
|2018||Maze Runner: The Death Cure||Harriet|
|2018||The Titan||W.D. Tally Rutherford|
|2006–2010||Hollyoaks||Sasha Valentine||191 episodes|
|2008||Hollyoaks Later||Sasha Valentine||Series 1 (4 episodes)|
|2009||Hollyoaks: The Morning After the Night Before||Sasha Valentine|
|2011||Casualty||Cheryl Hallows||Episode: "Only Human"|
|2012||Websex: What's the Harm?||Presenter|
|2013–present||Game of Thrones||Missandei||Seasons 3 & 4: recurring (15 episodes)|
Season 5-present: main role (19 episodes)
- Births, Marriages & Deaths Index of England & Wales, 1984–2004.
- "Game of Thrones's Nathalie Emmanuel Gears Up for Furious 7". Vanity Fair. Condé Nast. March 2015. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Celeb Birthdays for the Week of March 1–7". The New York Times. 26 February 2015. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Game of Thrones' Fetching Consigliere: Nathalie Emmanuel on Missandei and Grey Worm vs. Obama". The Daily Beast. 29 March 2015. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Lifelong Jacko fan Louise is set for a Thriller of a time". Southend Standard. 30 April 2010. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Are you excited for Season 5 of Game of Thrones, Southend?". Love Southend. 13 April 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "St Hilda's school in Westcliff goes into liquidation". BBC News. 11 July 2014.
- Culbertson, Alix (21 June 2016). "Teacher at one of Britain's best state schools charged with child sex offences". Sunday Express. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "'Game of Thrones' puts Nathalie Emmanuel, who plays Emilia Clarke's aide, on the way to royal ranks of acting". Daily News. 6 April 2015. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "'Game Of Thrones' Newbie Nathalie Emmanuel Joins Cast Of 'Fast & Furious 7'". Indiewire. 7 September 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "As Hollyoaks' Gemma Merna leaves the show we look at where the soap's biggest stars are now". Liverpool Echo. Trinity Mirror. 12 November 2014. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Nathalie Emmanuel goes from Hollyoaks to Hollywood in Game of Thrones". Liverpool Echo. Trinity Mirror. 4 April 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Websex: What's the Harm?, Targeting girls for sex on social networks". BBC. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Twenty8k – review". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. 6 September 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Nathalie Emmanuel". A & J Management. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "'Game of Thrones' scoop: See who's becoming a series regular". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. 17 January 2015. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Why 'Furious 7' is a bad movie with an all-time tearjerker ending you can't miss". HitFix. 2 April 2015. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (2015)". The New York Times. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- "'Maze Runner: The Death Cur' Sets T.S. Nowlin To Pen". Deadline.com. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 4 April 2015.
- Grater, Tom (21 March 2016). "John Boyega triumphs at Screen Nation awards". Screen Daily.
- "Nathalie Emmanuel". FHM. Archived from the original on 19 April 2015. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "FHM 100 Sexiest 2015". FHM. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Go Behind the Scenes of Our Shoot With Furious 7 Star Nathalie Emmanuel". InStyle. 4 April 2015. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- "Think Fast with Khaleesi's Sidekick". GQ. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- Brotherton, Hollie (14 March 2017). "10 things you need to know about Nathalie Emmanuel". Glamour.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nathalie Emmanuel.|