Nathalie Michelle Sinclair (born 1970) is a Canadian researcher in mathematics education who holds the Canada Research Chair in Tangible Mathematics Learning at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver.
Education and career
Sinclair was born in Grenoble, the daughter of Canadian academics who were on sabbatical there; she grew up in Calgary. She began her undergraduate studies at McGill University in business, but quickly switched to mathematics, and then earned a master's degree with Len Berggren at Simon Fraser on the history of mathematics and mathematics in medieval Islam.
She became a middle school teacher of mathematics and French on Bowen Island, then earned her Ph.D. in 2002 from Queen's University at Kingston, under the joint supervision of Peter Taylor of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and William Higginson of the Faculty of Education.
- Sinclair, Nathalie; Yurita, Violeta (September 2008), "To be or to become: how dynamic geometry changes discourse", Research in Mathematics Education, 10 (2): 135–150, doi:10.1080/14794800802233670. Winner of the Janet Duffin Award for the best paper of the year in Research in Mathematics Education.
- de Freitas, Elizabeth; Sinclair, Nathalie (2014), Mathematics and the Body: Material Entanglements in the Classroom, Learning in Doing: Social, Cognitive and Computational Perspectives, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 9781107039483. Honourable Mention for Innovations in Curriculum Studies, American Educational Research Association, 2015.
- Birth year from ISNI authority control file, retrieved 2018-12-02.
- Nathalie Sinclair, Canada Research Chairs, retrieved 2016-07-08.
- "Nathalie Sinclair" (PDF), Mathematics with a Human Face, Math Central, Mathematics and Statistics and Mathematics Education, University of Regina, retrieved 2016-07-08.
- Nathalie Sinclair at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Research team, CoLab @ SFU, retrieved 2016-07-08.
- Ainley, Janet (March 2009), "The Janet Duffin Award for 2008", Research in Mathematics Education, 11 (1): 95–95, doi:10.1080/14794800902734650.
- Chorney, Sean (April 2015), "Reviewing Mathematics and the Body: Material Entanglements in the Classroom", Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, 15 (2): 203–209, doi:10.1080/14926156.2015.1029650.
- The 2015 AERA Division B (Curriculum Studies) Award Recipients, American Educational Research Association, retrieved 2016-07-08.