Nathan Allen is a travel writer and photographer from The United States. He is the creator of the lifestyle and travel website “I Dreamed Of This”. In November 2013 he finished up a year living around and exploring the Philippines, then wrote an article about his observations. It was originally titled “What I REALLY Think Of The Philippines”, but has since been changed to: “Living in the Philippines - A Confused American's Perspective”.
Sun.Star Manila reported that the article went viral. Philippine network GMA News Online republished the article on November 30, 2013, retitling it “A year in the PHL: Honest observations from a Westerner on his way home”.
Persona Non Grata
CNN Philippines reports that on a subsequent visit to the Philippines in April 2015, Allen wrote a Facebook post about being “disappointed in Donsol”, a town in the eastern region of Sorsogon. Allegedly, Allen had visited the Donsol Tourism Office, and explained who he was and why he was there. He requested the staff to have the local tourism officer contact him. He stated that he never received a response.
Citing that Allen’s post had reached “thousands of people” who may no longer want to visit Donsol, the board of the Donsol Tourism Office filed a resolution declaring him persona non grata in Sorsogon on May 2.
- "Foreigner's blog on PH goes viral". SunStar Manila. December 6, 2013. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "Honest observations from a Westerner on his way home". GMA News. November 30, 2013. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "World's Top Male Travel Bloggers". HuffPost. January 22, 2016. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "American blogger reacts to persona non grata status". CNN. May 8, 2015. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- "Sorsogon tags American blogger as persona non grata". CNN. May 8, 2015. Retrieved March 8, 2018.