Nathan Brown (poet)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Brown in 2013
|Occupation||Poet, Author, Singer-Songwriter|
|Notable awards||2009 Oklahoma Book Award|
Nathan Brown is an author, singer-songwriter, and award-winning poet who served as the Oklahoma Poet Laureate from 2013 to 2014.
Nathan Brown was born in Longview, Texas in 1965. His family moved to Norman, Oklahoma in January 1970, where he grew up and went to college. He now hails from Wimberley, a small town in the Hill Country of Texas where he has lived with his wife, Ashley, since 2013.
Nathan holds an interdisciplinary Ph.D. in English and Journalism with an emphasis in Creative and Professional Writing from the University of Oklahoma. And though he taught there for almost twenty years, he's now returned to the Austin area to be closer to the music scene there and tours the country full-time as a poet, musician, and workshop leader. He has published roughly 20 books, one of which (Two Tables Over) won the Oklahoma Book Award for Poetry, and another, Karma Crisis: New and Selected Poems, was a finalist for the Paterson Poetry Prize in New Jersey.
He also began as the instructor for the Descanso Creatives intensive workshop series in 2018. The workshops are a "deep-dive" and culturally-immersive writing experience. Beginning in Tuscany, Italy, future workshops are planned for Ireland (2019) and France (2020).
- 100 Years (Mezcalita Press, 2019)
- An Honest Day's Confession (Mezcalita Press, 2018)
- An Honest Day's Prayer (Mezcalita Press, 2017)
- An Honest Day's Ode (Mezcalita Press, 2017)
- I Shouldn't Say... The Mostly Unedited Poems of Ezra E. Lipschitz (Mezalita Press, 2017)
- Arse Poetica: The Mostly Unedited Poems of Ezra E. Lipschitz (Mezcalita Press,2017)
- Apocalypse Soon: The Mostly Unedited Poems of Ezra E. Lipschitz (Mezcalita Press, 2017)
- Don't Try, a collection of co-written poems with Jon Dee Graham (Mezcalita Press, 2016)
- My Salvaged Heart: Story of a Cautious Courtship (Mezcalita Press, 2016)
- To Sing Hallucinated: First Thoughts on Last Words (Mezcalita Press, 2015)
- Oklahoma Poems, and Their Poets (Mezcalita Press, 2014)
- Less Is More, More or Less (Mezcalita Press, 2013)
- Karma Crisis:New and Selected Poems (Mezcalita Press, 2012)
- Letters to the One-Armed Poet: A Memoir of Friendship, Loss, and Butternut Squash Ravioli (Village Books Press, 2011)
- My Sideways Heart (Mongrel Empire Press, 2010)
- Two Tables Over (Village Books Press, 2008)
- Not Exactly Job (Mongrel Empire Press, 2007)
- Ashes over the Southwest (Greystone Press, 2005)
- Suffer the Little Voices (Greystone Press, 2005)
- Hobson's Choice (Greystone Press, 2002)
- The Sreets of San Miguel (2019)
- Gypsy Moon (2009)
- The Why in the Road
- Driftin' Away
- What does this have to do with anything?