Nathan Djerrkura in 2008
|Full name||Nathan Djerrkura|
|Date of birth||19 September 1988|
|Place of birth||Yirrkala, Northern Territory|
|Original team(s)||Wanderers (NT)|
|Draft||25th overall, 2006
|Height/Weight||176 cm / 80 kg|
25 (8)4 (0)
|Representative team honours|
|2009||Indigenous All-Stars||1 (0)|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of Round 21 2012 season.
2 State and international statistics correct as of 2009.
Nathan Djerrkura (born 19 September 1988) is an Australian rules footballer in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was drafted to the Geelong Football Club in 2006 and played four games for them before being traded to the Western Bulldogs during the 2010 Trade Week.
Nathan Djerrkura was born to Gatjil and Jenny Djerrkura in the indigenous community of Yirrkala, Northern Territory on 19 September 1988. He is of Indigenous Australian heritage and his ancestry can be traced to the Yolngu. His father, Gatjil, was a former Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC) chairman before his death from a heart attack in May 2004.
Taken at pick 25 in the 2006 National AFL Draft, Djerrkura is a highly rated young midfielder with a great work ethic and a strong body for his size. He gets a lot of hard ball gets and can kick goals when required. He has lightning pace and provides strong tackling pressure in the forward line. He was one of the best prospects from the Northern Territory in 2006, and was featured on SBS in a draft special.
Djerrkura played 2 NAB Cup matches in 2007, and was close to making his debut in Rounds 1 and 2 after strong reserves form, until he received a setback when he was injured early in the season playing football in the VFL.
Djerrkura's nickname is Djidi which means "black magic."
Djerrkura participated in the 2008 AFL Grand Final sprint, coming 1st in his heat and going on to come 3rd overall.
On 8 October 2010, he was traded to the Western Bulldogs in a deal which would see Geelong pick up draft pick 57.
Djerrkura retired from AFL Football on 15th of September 2012 after playing 21 games for the Western Bulldogs. He kicked 8 goals this season and said he wanted to move on to the next phase of his life.
- VFL Premiership (Geelong): 2007
- Under 18 All-Australian (2006)
- Represented Northern Territory Under 18 (2006)
- Represented Indigenous All-Stars (2009)
- Auciello, Michael (21 March 2007). "A magical voyage to the top – Nathan Djerkurra". Geelong Advertiser. Retrieved 13 July 2009.
- "Djerrkura justice". Geelong Football Club. 29 May 2009. Retrieved 13 July 2009.
- AFL Record. Round 9,2009. Slattery Publishing. pg 75.
- "Promising young midfielder Nathan Djerrkura in contention for Cats debut". foxsports.com.au. 28 May 2009. Retrieved 13 July 2009.
- McKenna, Mark (March 2008). "Comment". The Monthly. Retrieved 13 July 2009.
- "Nathan Djerrkura to retire from AFL football at age 24". 15 September 2012.
- Nathan Djerrkura's profile on the official website of the Geelong Football Club
- Nathan Djerrkura's statistics from AFL Tables
|Geelong F.C. Community Champion Award
With: Travis Varcoe