|Born||26 September 2001|
Nathan Lee (born September 26, 2001) is a Korean-American pianist. Described by The New York Times as a "prodigiously talented" pianist with "musical insight and sensitivity", Lee was a winner of the 2016 Young Concert Artists International Auditions.
Early life and education
Lee was born in 2001 and began playing the piano at the age of six. In 2015, Lee placed first prize at the Minnesota International Piano-e-Competition and later won top prizes in the junior division of the Gina Bachauer International Piano Competition and the Thomas & Evon Cooper International Competition.
At the age of 15, Lee was one of four winners in the 2016 Young Concert Artists International Auditions, and won a record fourteen additional concert prizes (opportunities to perform). Lee was later named to the Mortimer Levitt Piano Chair of Young Concert Artists and has since appeared as soloist with major American orchestras such as the Seattle Symphony, the Cleveland Orchestra, the Orchestra of St. Luke's, the Minnesota Orchestra, and the Buffalo Philharmonic. Lee has collaborated with such conductors as Jorge Mester, JoAnn Falletta, Teddy Abrams, Jahja Ling, and Ludovic Morlot.
- Minnesota International Piano-e-Competition: 1st prize (2015)
- Gina Bachauer International Piano Competition: Silver medal (2016)
- Thomas & Evon Cooper International Competition: 3rd prize (2016)
- Young Concert Artists International Auditions: 1st prize, 14 additional performance prizes, and Mortimer Levitt Chair (2016)
- Tommasini, Anthony (May 18, 2019). "A Label in Need: The Week in Classical Music". The New York Times. Retrieved May 24, 2019.
- "Nathan Lee, piano". Young Concert Artists. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- "'Piano prodigy' Nathan Lee wins e-Piano Junior Competition". The Korea Times. June 23, 2015. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- "Home > People > Past Competitors > 2016 Junior Competitors > Lee, Nathan". Gina Bachauer International Piano Foundation. May 19, 2016. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Hathaway, Daniel (July 25, 2016). "Cooper International Piano Competition: final round with Jahja Ling & The Cleveland Orchestra (July 22)". Cleveland Classical. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- "Nathan Lee, Piano – Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:30 PM Zankel Hall". Carnegie Hall. Retrieved December 22, 2018.
- "Nathan Lee's Kennedy Center Debut". ArtsEditor.com. January 21, 2018. Retrieved December 22, 2018.
- Ferjutz, Kelly (July 26, 2016). "Music Review: Cooper International Piano Competition". Cool Cleveland. Retrieved December 22, 2018.
- "Meet The Musicians, Nathan Lee". Seattle Symphony. Retrieved December 22, 2018.
- Hathaway, Daniel. "Cooper International Piano Competition: final round with Jahja Ling & The Cleveland Orchestra (July 22)". Cleveland Classical. Retrieved December 22, 2018.