Sykes in 2016
|Birth name||Nathan James Sykes|
18 April 1993 |
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
|Associated acts||The Wanted|
Nathan James Sykes (born 18 April 1993) is an English singer, songwriter and record producer. He is best known for being the youngest member of the British boy band The Wanted. In 2013, Sykes appeared with his bandmates in the E! channel reality television series The Wanted Life. After the band's hiatus in 2014, Sykes embarked on a solo career. His debut single, "Kiss Me Quick" was released in July 2015. It reached number-one on the US Dance Club Songs chart.
Sykes was born on 18 April 1993 to Harry and Karen Sykes. He has a younger sister, Jessica Sykes, who is also a singer. Sykes attended Sylvia Young Theatre School and Ribston Hall High School Sixth Form.
Sykes started singing when he was six years old. In 2003, he won various competitions, including Britney Spears' Karaoke Kriminals and Cheltenham Competitive Festival of Dramatic Art. In 2004, he appeared on ITV's Ministry of Mayhem, and won the Door Youth Project's "Undiscovered Youth Talent Contest" where he performed "Mack the Knife" in Derker, and he attempted to represent United Kingdom in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2004 that was held in Lillehammer. In the finals, he finished in third place with the song, "Born to Dance", behind Cory Spedding and runner-up Andrew Merry. In 2008, he performed for the music competition "Live and Unsigned".
2009–14: The Wanted
In 2009, at the age of 16, Sykes auditioned for the boy band The Wanted. The auditions were held by Jayne Collins. Sykes was chosen to be one of those five members for a group. He joined bandmates Max George, Siva Kaneswaran, Tom Parker and Jay McGuiness. In 2014, the band decided to take a break and pursue their personal endeavours after a tour of the United Kingdom and the United States.
2013–present: Unfinished Business
In 2013, Sykes and American singer Ariana Grande released their collaborative single, "Almost Is Never Enough". In 2014, Sykes signed a record deal with Global Entertainment (a part of the Global Group, along with Capital's owner Global Radio).
In March 2015, Sykes debuted his first solo music video for "More Than You'll Ever Know" on Vevo. Sykes went on his first solo tour on 8 April 2015, which included six sold-out shows in the United Kingdom. Sykes announced via the app Periscope that his debut single would be called "Kiss Me Quick". The single was released on 5 July 2015. On 21 May 2015, Sykes released his music video for his debut single, "Kiss Me Quick" on Vevo. The song peaked at number 14 on the UK Singles Chart.
In October 2015, Sykes announced his second single, called "Over and Over Again". The music video for the song was released in the UK on 28 October 2015. It was released worldwide on 20 November 2015. It was also announced that Sykes would support Little Mix on their The Get Weird Tour in March 2016. Sykes announced that his third single, called "Give It Up", would be released on 13 May 2016. The music video for "Give It Up" was released on 27 April 2016, and was later banned from television after featuring numerous scenes which came across unsuitable for most audiences.
On 11 June 2016, Sykes performed at Capital's Summertime Ball for the seventh consecutive time (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 with The Wanted, 2014 as Jessie J's guest, 2015 and 2016 as a solo performer).
On 11 July 2016, Sykes announced via Twitter that he would be joining Alessia Cara on her Know-It-All headling tour in the United States. On 12 October 2016, Sykes announced via Twitter that his debut studio album, Unfinished Business would be out worldwide on 11 November 2016.
|2007||The Magic Door||Elf Warrior||Actor|
|2010||Loose Women||Himself||5 episodes|
|2013||Chasing the Saturdays||Himself||1 episode|
|The Wanted Life||Himself||7 episodes|
|2016||CBBC Official Chart Show||Himself||1 episode|
|Blue Peter||Himself||1 episode|
|2016||Sam & Mark's Big Friday Wind-Up||Himself||1 episode|
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Kiss Me Quick"||2015||14||19||1||Unfinished Business|
|"Over and Over Again"
(solo or featuring Ariana Grande)
|"Give It Up"
|"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"||—||—||—||N/A|
|"—" denotes a single that has not charted or been released in that territory.|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Born to Dance"||2004||—||—||—||—||Non-album single|
|"Almost Is Never Enough"
(Ariana Grande featuring Nathan Sykes)
|2013||49||56||—||82||The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and Yours Truly|
|"More Than You'll Ever Know"||2015||—||—||—||—||Unfinished Business|
|"There's Only One of You"||2017||65||—||29||—|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- Nathan Sykes Live (2015)
- "Artist Management". Global. March 14, 2015.
- "Nathan Sykes Biography". www.biography.com. March 12, 2015.
- Siegel, Melissa (June 24, 2013). "NATHAN SYKES NEARLY QUIT 'A WANTED LIFE'! WHY DID WANTED SINGER WANT OUT OF E! REALITY SHOW? [VIDEO]". www.hollywoodtake.com.
- "Dance Club Songs. The Week of August 22, 2015". Billboard. August 11, 2015. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- Ribston Hall High School
- "Nathan Sykes". Glamour. March 12, 2015.
- "VIDEO: Move over Nathan Sykes, sister Jess proves singing talent". Gloucester Citizen. March 8, 2013.
- "Nathan Sykes: 'The Wanted Split Will Be Lengthy'". MTV. March 1, 2014.
- Vena, Joselyn (August 25, 2013). "Ariana Grande Admits The Wanted's Nathan Sykes 'Sang The Hell Out Of' Duet". MTV.
- Jones, Dan (March 14, 2015). "I wasn't in best place when I split with The Wanted and Ariana". The Sun.
- "Nathan Sykes". Retrieved July 2, 2015.
- Davidson, Amy (June 24, 2014). "Watch Nathan Sykes of The Wanted join Jessie J and DJ Cassidy on stage". Digital Spy.
- Mohamed, Adam (March 12, 2015). "Nathan Sykes' voice will amaze you in his new video for More Than You'll Ever Know". Daily Star (United Kingdom).
- Roth, Madeline (March 12, 2015). "Nathan Sykes Oozes Sex Appeal In New Video: Watch". MTV.
- Sykes, Nathan (April 8, 2015). "Nathan Sykes Announces Debut Single "Kiss Me Quick released in June"".
- Sykes, Nathan (May 14, 2015). "Nathan Sykes Announces Debut Single "Kiss Me Quick release date."".
- Sykes, Nathan (May 21, 2015). "Nathan Sykes releases music video for debut single "Kiss Me Quick"".
- "Nathan Sykes on Twitter".
- "Kiss Us Quick Nathan! The UK Singing Sensation Joins Our Summertime Ball Line Up". Capital. May 22, 2015.
- "Nathan Sykes Gives The #CapitalSTB Crowd A Surprise Duet… With X Factor's Louisa Johnson!".
- "Nathan Sykes - Nathan Sykes performs to over 80,000 people at the Capital FM Summertime Ball!!".
- "Nathan Sykes announces tour with Alessia Cara".
- "Nathan Sykes announces new album date.".
- Sperling, Daniel (April 16, 2013). "Dionne Bromfield confirms Nathan Sykes split: 'No hard feelings'". Digital Spy.
- "They just weren't into it anymore': Ariana Grande and Nathan Sykes split up 'a few weeks ago after relationship ran its course". Daily Mail. December 24, 2013.
- Peak positions in the United Kingdom:
- "Chart Archive > 18 November 2016 - 24 November 2016". Officialcharts.com/. Official Charts Company. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Nathan Sykes – Chart History: US Heat". Billboard.
- Peak positions for singles in Scotland:
- For "Almost Is Never Enough": "Chart Archive > 10 July 2015 - 16 July 2015". Officialcharts.com/. Official Charts Company.
- For "Kiss Me Quick": "Chart Archive > 10 July 2015 - 16 July 2015". Officialcharts.com/. Official Charts Company.
- For "Over and Over Again": "Chart Archive > 27 November 2015 - 03 December 2015". Officialcharts.com/. Official Charts Company.
- For "Give It Up": "Chart Archive > 20 May 2016 - 26 May 2016". Officialcharts.com/. Official Charts Company.
- For "Famous": "Chart Archive > 18 November 2016 - 24 November 2016". Officialcharts.com/. Official Charts Company.
- For "There's Only One of You": "Chart Archive > 20 January 2017 - 26 January 2017". Officialcharts.com/. Official Charts Company.
- "Nathan Sykes – Chart History: Dance Club Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Discography Nathan Sykes". Irish Charts Portal. Hung Medien.
- Peak positions for singles in the US: