Nathanael Matthaeus von Wolf
Nathanael Matthaeus von Wolf, Nathanael Matthäus von Wolf, Polish: Nataniel Mateusz Wolf (28 January 1724 in Konitz  – 15 December 1784 in Danzig) was a German botanist, physician, and astronomer.
Wolf studied medicine at the University of Erfurt and received his degree of M.D. in 1748. He became the personal physician of Teodor Kazimierz Czartoryski, the Prince-bishop of Poznań, until the bishop's death in 1768. The next year he opened a private office at Tczew and then practised at Danzig (now Gdańsk) from 1772. He went on to spend most of his adult life in Danzig. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1777.
As an astronomer, Wolf also taught the Corps of Cadets in Warsaw. He was a member of the Danzig Research Society (Naturforschende Gesellschaft Danzig) and left his scientific collections to them. He greatly supported the building of a planetarium.
On 10 May 1785, a few months after Wolf's death, the Danzig physician Phillipp Adolph Lampe presented a memorial at the Danzig Research Society.
- Nathanael Matthaeus Wolf, Member of Naturforschende Gesellschaft Danzig from Conitz, Westpreussen
- Stafleu, F.A.; Cowan, R.S. (1976–1988), "Wolf, Nathaniel Matthaeus von", Taxonomic literature: A selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types. Second Edition, Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema and Holkema; Available online through Smithsonian Institution Libraries
- IPNI. Wolf.
- Genera Plantarum, Vocabulis characteristicis definita S.l. 1776
- Genera et Species Plantarum vocabulis characteristicis definita. Marienwerder, Typis Joan. Jac. Kanteri, 1781
- Concordantia Botanica. Dantisci, Muller, 1780
- J.C. Poggendorff (1863). Biographisch-Literarisches Handwörterbuch zur geschichte der exacten wissenschaften. Verlag von Johann Ambrosius Barth. (Leipzig).
- Edmund Cieślak "Historia Gdańska", t. III, /1:1655-1793, Gdańsk 1993
- Kazimierz Kubik & Lech Mokrzecki "Trzy wieki nauki gdańskiej", Zakład Narodowy im. Ossolińskich, Gdańsk 1976 (s. 125-126) ISBN 83-215-3251-9
- "Mieszczaństwo gdańskie", Gdańskie Towarzystwo Naukowe, Gdańsk 1997 ISBN 83-87359-16-5
|This article about a German astronomer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a German person in the field of medicine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Polish scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|