Nathaniel Fiennes, 21st Baron Saye and Sele
Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes was born on 22 September 1920, the son of Ivo Murray Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 20th Baron Saye and Sele, and Hersey Cecilia Hester Butler. Despite a family connection with Winchester College, he was educated at Eton, and then at New College, Oxford. During the Second World War he served in the Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own) and was twice Mentioned in Despatches.
Fiennes was a trustee of the Ernest Cook Trust, which works for the preservation of English country houses and estates, from 1959 until 1995, serving as chairman from 1964 until 1990. In 1965 he changed his surname by Deed poll to Fiennes thereby relinquishing the surnames Twisleton and Wykeham.
When his father died on 21 October 1968, Fiennes succeeded him as 21st Baron Saye and Sele. He was a Fellow of Winchester College between 1967 and 1983. He became a Chartered Surveyor and was a partner of a company called Laws and Fiennes before becoming a regional director within Lloyds Bank (1983–90). Since 1979 he has been a Deputy Lieutenant (DL) of Oxfordshire.
Lord Saye and Sele is known as Nat to his family and friends. He is the father of the author William Fiennes and of the artist Susannah Fiennes. He lives with his wife at his family's ancestral home, Broughton Castle in Oxfordshire.
Marriage & children
Lord Saye and Sele married Mariette Helena Salisbury-Jones, the daughter of Major-General Sir Arthur Guy Salisbury-Jones in 1958. Together they had five children:
- Hon Richard Ingel Fiennes (born 19 August 1959, died 13 April 2001)
- Hon Martin Guy Fiennes (born 27 February 1961)
- Hon Susannah Hersey Fiennes (born 27 February 1961)
- Thomas Nathaniel Fiennes (born 11 October 1965, died 3 September 1968)
- Hon William John Fiennes (born 7 August 1970)
|Ancestors of Nathaniel Fiennes, 21st Baron Saye and Sele|
Links and sources
- Fiennes Times
- Val Bourne, 'Broughton Castle: a garden for poets – and film stars', The Daily Telegraph, 22 May 1999
- Debrett's People of Today (12th edn, London, 1999), p. 1739
- Pedigree at Genealogics.org
|Peerage of England|
Ivo Murray Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes
| Baron Saye and Sele