Kramer is the son of Terry Allen Kramer, a theatrical producer, and Irwin H. Kramer, an investment banker. His mother was a producer of the Broadway shows Shadowlands (1990) and Me and My Girl (1986), "West Side Story" "Sugar Babies", "Jesus Christ Superstar", and others.
Kramer's photography has appeared in catalogs and advertisements for Gap, Reebok, Hanes, Ray Ban, J Crew, Talbots, Macy's, and Cover Girl. As well as in magazines such as GQ, Glamour, Lei, Vogue, Mademoiselle, Elle, Marie Claire, and New York, and has recently been shown in New York exhibitions.
Among his production credits, Kramer won a Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play and a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Revival of a Play for producing the 1998 revival of Arthur Miller's A View From the Bridge. In 1995, he produced the film Monster Mash, 1993's Emmy nominated Choices with Laurence Fishburne and Martin Sheen and in 2010 he produced, directed, and photographed the documentary film A LONG HAUL about a fisherman in Montauk, NY, which was an official Selection at several film festivals including Edin Docs and Doc Miami. In 2011, he directed the feature-length sequel Where Have All the Mermaids Gone?, which was nominated for best feature documentary at the Madrid International Film Festival and the Austin Film Festival. Also among his director of photography and film producer credits are Willa, a film based on a short story by Stephen King, and In the Shadow of the Water Tower, a film by the experimental filmmaker Lewis Smithingham. He has also been the director of photography on several music videos, including videos for Slaine, Goldie, Dead Ellington and the Casualties. In 2013, Nathaniel will serve as producer and cinematographer with producer E.J. Meyers for the feature adaptation of the popular Stephen King story, The Ten O'Clock People, to be directed by horror legend Tom Holland.
- "Two Views of Nature". KMR Arts. 2009-07-11. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Maslaton Oster, Joelle (November 10, 2008). "From Wall Street to Tree Tops". Joelle Lifestyle. Archived from the original on 2011-08-19.
- "Roberta Chirko". Top Fashion Model. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Hass, Nancy (May 2010). "Camera Ready". Elle Decor: 180. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Goodman, Wendy; Boucher, Vincent (September 14, 1987). Photography by Nathaniel Kramer. "A Cut Above". New York. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Through the Lens of Nathaniel Kramer: Exhibition Opening". Patrick McMullan Company. 2008-10-29. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Monster Mash: The Movie at the Internet Movie Database
- Choices (1992) at the Internet Movie Database
- A Long Haul at the Internet Movie Database
- "Saturday Matinee". EDINDOCS. 2011. Archived from the original on 2012-03-11.
- Where Have All the Mermaids Gone? at the Internet Movie Database
- "The Madrid International Film Nominations 2012". Madrid International Film Festival. Archived from the original on 2012-06-15.
- "Where Have All The Mermaids Gone?". Austin Film Festival. 2012.
- Willa (2012) at the Internet Movie Database
- In the Shadow of the Water Tower at the Internet Movie Database
- The Ten O'Clock People at the Internet Movie Database