|Products||Newspapers, magazines, radio stations, television stations|
Number of employees
Nation Media Group (abbreviated as NMG) is a Kenyan media group listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange. NMG was founded by Aga Khan IV in 1959 and is the largest private media house in East and Central Africa with offices in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. In 1999, NMG launched NTV, a news channel in Kenya, and Easy FM.
The group publications include The EastAfrican, Daily Nation, Business Daily Africa, Daily Monitor, The Citizen, NMG Investor Briefing, Taifa Leo and Zuqka. The Daily Nation and the Sunday edition of the same newspaper, the Sunday Nation, celebrated their 50th anniversaries, branded by the Nation Media Group as "50 Golden Years", in 2010.
NMG owns a 76.5% stake in the Monitor Publications Limited and 93.3 KFM, a Kampala-based radio station in Uganda. It also owns two television stations in the country, NTV Uganda and Spark TV. NMG also has a 60% shareholding in Mwananchi Communications Limited' in Tanzania. The group's East African subsidiaries, especially the Tanzanian business, contribute significantly to growth in the group.
In March 2016, NMG commissioned a new state-of-the art printing press on Mombasa Road in Nairobi. The new facility has capacity to print 86,000 newspapers per hour. It cost KSh2 billion (about US$20 million) and will print the dailies Daily Nation, Business Daily, Taifa Leo and the weekly The EastAfrican.
The shares of stock of the Group are listed at the Nairobi Stock Exchange and are cross-listed at the Uganda Securities Exchange as well as the Rwanda Stock Exchange, trading at all three bourses under the symbol "NMG". As at December 2014, there were a total of 10,436 shareholders in the company. Of these, 4,135, owned 1 to 500 shares each, with a cumulative total of 782,157 shares, controlling 0.41 percent of the company. The seven largest shareholders controlled 62.57 percent of the total shareholding. These included:
- Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development with 44.66 percent.
- Alpine Investments Limited with 10.15 percent.
- National Social Security Fund with 3.44 percent.
- John Kibunga Kimani who had 1.54 percent shareholding.
- Jubilee Insurance Company of Kenya Limited with 1.07 percent.
- Standard Chartered Nominees A/c KE17984, who controlled 0.91 percent
- CfC Stanbic Nominee Limited with 0.81 percent shareholding.
- 2021 IF Design Awards for an outstanding digital platform
- 2021 Global Media Awards (by the International News Media Association (INMA))
- 2022 Global Media Awards
- "Nairobi Stock Exchange: Listed Companies". Nairobi Stock Exchange. 31 March 2015. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development: Media Services". Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development. 2007. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- "Partial Listing of Nation Media Group Publications". Daily Nation (Nairobi). 2014. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- Ngigi, George (22 March 2016). "Nation Media Group keeps full-year dividend level but profits lag". Daily Nation. Nairobi. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Ngirachu, John (17 March 2016). "Aga Khan commissions new 'Nation' press". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- "Uganda Securities Exchange: Listed Securities". Kampala: Uganda Securities Exchange (USE). 26 October 2016. Archived from the original on 25 April 2015. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Dhahabu (10 September 2016). "Top ten Nation Media Group shareholders". Nairobi: Dhahabu.co.ke. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "Nation Media Group bags two awards at the 'Oscars of Design' – The Nation Media Group". Retrieved 2022-08-05.
- "Nation Media Group Brands Win Six Global Awards – The Nation Media Group". Retrieved 2022-08-05.
- "NMG wins top award in 2022 Global Media Awards – The Nation Media Group". Retrieved 2022-08-05.
- Official website
- 2008 annual report
- The Citizen newspaper website - The official website for The Citizen Tanzania newspaper
- The Mwananchi newspaper website - The official website for Mwananchi Tanzania Newspaper
- The Mwanaspoti newspaper website - The official website for Mwanaspoti Tanzania newspaper
- Mwananchi Communications Ltd website - The official website for Mwananchi Communications Ltd, its subsidiary in Tanzania