Nation Media Group
Nation Center, headquarters of the Nation Media Group
|Traded as||KN: NMG|
|Products||Newspapers, magazines, radio stations, television stations|
Nation Media Group (abbreviated as NMG) is a Kenyan media group listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange. NMG was founded by Aga Khan IV in 1959 and is the largest private media house in East and Central Africa with offices in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. In 1999, NMG launched NTV, a news channel in Kenya, and Easy FM.
The group publications include The EastAfrican, Daily Nation, Business Daily Africa, Daily Monitor, The Citizen, NMG Investor Briefing, Taifa Leo and Zuqka. The Daily Nation and the Sunday edition of the same newspaper, the Sunday Nation, cerebrated their 50th anniversaries, branded by the Nation Media Group as 50 Golden Years, in 2010.
NMG owns a 76.5% stake in the Monitor Publications Limited and 93.3 KFM, a Kampala-based radio station in Uganda. It also has a 60% shareholding in Mwananchi Communications Limited' in Tanzania. The two outfits have added a significant amount to the group’s revenue.
In March 2016, NMG commissioned a new state-of-the art printing press on Mombasa Road in Nairobi. The new facility has capacity to print 86,000 newspapers per hour. It cost KSh2 billion (about US$20 million) and will print the dailies Daily Nation, Business Daily, Taifa Leo and the weekly The EastAfrican.
The shares of stock of the Group are listed at the Nairobi Stock Exchange and are cross-listed at the Uganda Securities Exchange as well as the Rwanda Stock Exchange, trading at both bourses under the symbol "NMG".
- NSE, . (31 March 2015). "Nairobi Stock Exchange: Listed Companies". Nairobi Stock Exchange (NSE). Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- AKFED, . (2007). "Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development: Media Services". Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED). Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- Daily Nation Staff, . (2014). "Partial Listing of Nation Media Group Publications". Daily Nation (Nairobi). Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- Ngirachu, John (17 March 2016). "Aga Khan commissions new 'Nation' press". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 17 March 2016.
- USE. "Uganda Securities Exchange: Listed Securities". Uganda Securities Exchange (USE). Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- Official website
- 2008 annual report
- The Citizen newspaper website - The official website for The Citizen Tanzania newspaper
- The Mwananchi newspaper website - The official website for Mwananchi Tanzania Newspaper
- The Mwanaspoti newspaper website - The official website for Mwanaspoti Tanzania newspaper
- Mwananchi Communications Ltd website - The official website for Mwananchi Communications Ltd, its subsidiary in Tanzania