Nation Radio Wales
DAB Digital Radio
(South East Wales, Mid and West Wales, Wrexham and Chester)
|First air date||29 November 2007|
|Format||Mainstream pop and guitar music|
Nation Radio Wales is a regional radio station, broadcasting to South Wales on FM and in West and North East Wales on DAB. It is owned and operated by Nation Broadcasting and broadcasts from studios near the St Hilary transmitter on the outskirts of Cowbridge.
The station's music playlist originally consisted of new and classic guitar-led music, reflecting the franchise won originally by XFM, but in 2015, the format was changed to include mainstream pop music.
Nation Radio began broadcasting on 16 June 2008, taking over the regional Ofcom broadcasting licence, which was held by XFM South Wales until GCap Media sold the station to Town and Country (now Nation Broadcasting) for an unspecified fee on 30 May 2008.
In 2013, Nation Radio increased its coverage area via DAB - it began broadcasting to north-east Wales and parts of Cheshire and Merseyside in March, via MuxCo's Wrexham, Chester and Liverpool multiplex. In August, the station launched in Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire via the Muxco Mid and West Wales multiplex.
In March 2018, Nation Broadcasting announced it would launch Nation Radio Scotland in the autumn of 2018, after acquiring the readvertised 96.3 FM licence for Renfrewshire, Glasgow and West Central Scotland.
The station's presenters include Carl Hughes and Rachel Chew (The Big Welsh Wake Up), Mark Powell, Neil Greenslade, Sean Gerrard (weekday drivetime) and Mike Jordan (weekday evenings). Specialist programming includes the weekly rugby magazine Rugby Nation (presented by Sean Holley) on Wednesday evenings during the rugby season. (networked on all Nation-owned stations)
Local news bulletins air hourly from 6am-6pm on weekdays (with headlines at 6.30, 7.30, and 8.30 during The Big Welsh Wake-Up) and from 8am to midday at weekends. As of June 2016, the station's news bulletins are provided by independent company Radio NewsHub in Leeds.
- WalesOnline: Channel Xfm radio changes hands. Icwales.icnetwork.co.uk (2 June 2008). Retrieved on 31 December 2011.
- Shepherd, Rob (30 May 2008). "GCap sells Xfm South Wales". Broadcast. Retrieved 30 May 2008.
- "XFM South Wales sold". Radio Today. 30 May 2008. Retrieved 30 May 2008.
- "Xfm south Wales: GCap sells station to Town and Country Broadcasting", ''Media. Guardian. Retrieved on 31 December 2011.
- "Wrexham, Chester and Liverpool". MuxCo. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Nation Broadcasting buys Rock Radio Scotland, RadioToday, 14 March 2018
- Nation Radio to launch in Glasgow on 96.3 FM, Radio Today, 15 March 2018
- Nation Radio current schedule
- Nation Broadcasting signs deal with Radio NewsHub, RadioToday, 3 June 2016