National Academic Advising Association
|Headquarters||NACADA Executive Office|
The National Academic Advising Association (NACADA: The Global Community for Academic Advising) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. It is an international, educational association of individuals engaged in the work of academic advising. Its membership of over 10,000 international individuals is reported to include representatives from than 2,400 institutions and organizations related to higher education; individuals are classified by status as faculty member, professional advisor, graduate student, student support personnel, peer advisors, and administrators. Its stated goal is to serve staff and faculty who provide academic advising to post-secondary students. The NACADA Executive Office has been housed in Manhattan, Kansas on the campus of Kansas State University since 1990.
NACADA is a member of the American Council on Education, the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education CAS, and maintains a partnership with the National Collegiate Athletic Association to further student-athlete development and academic success.
The NACADA organization sponsors conferences, institutes, scholarships, web-based resources and seminars, Commission and Interest Groups, research-based publications, a speaker and consultants’ service, and an awards program. Online master's degree and graduate certificate programs are offered in conjunction with Kansas State University.
The NACADA website houses an indexed list of articles, statistics, and peer-reviewed scholarly articles, the Clearinghouse of Academic Advising Resources, as a free resource for both members and non-members. The site strictly adheres to scholarly standards on copyright and appropriate citation of sources, and may be useful for practitioners, researchers, and students investigating student success, persistence, and graduation from institutions of higher education.
- Region 1 - United States: New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine; Canada: Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland.
- Region 2 - United States: Pennsylvania, Virginia, D.C., Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey.
- Region 3 - United States: West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina.
- Region 4 - United States: Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida; Caribbean Islands.
- Region 5 - United States: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin; Canada: Ontario, Nunavut.
- Region 6 - United States: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota; Canada: Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories.
- Region 7 - United States: Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas.
- Region 8 - United States: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Alaska; Canada: Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon.
- Region 9 - United States: California, Nevada, Hawaii.
- Region 10 - United States: Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming.
Every year NACADA holds an annual conference to address the important and relevant issues of academic advising. Each year a specific theme is chosen and the sessions and presentations are designed around the theme.
2016 - Atlanta, GA - ATL: Advising to Learn
2015 - Las Vegas, NV - What Happens in Advising Stays with Students
2014 - Minneapolis, MN - Adventures in Advising: Explore, Discover, Collaborate, Transform
2013 - Salt Lake City, UT - Success Elevated: Greatest Advising on Earth
2012 - Nashville, TN - Empowering Students to Write Their Own Songs of Success
2011 - Denver, CO - Advising with Altitude
2010 - Orlando, FL - The Fast Pass to Student Success
2009 - San Antonio, TX - Deep in the Heart of Advising
2008 - Chicago, IL - Taking Advising to New Heights
2007 - Baltimore, MD - Advisors as Navigators: From Orientation to Graduation and Beyond
2006 - Indianapolis, IN - Diverse Advising for a Diverse World
2005 - Las Vegas, NV - Hitting the Jackpot:Making Academic Success a Sure Bet!
2004 - Cincinnati, OH - Building Bridges: Advisors as Architects for the Future
2003 - Dallas, TX - Academic Advising: Teach, Encourage, eX cel, Advise, Support - Building Stronger Networks for Student Success
2002 - Salt Lake City, UT - Academic Advising: Official Sponsors of Student Success
2001 - Ottawa, ON - Academic Advising: Discover the Many Voices
2000 - Orlando, FL - Advising in the 21st Century: Tradition, Innovation, and Vision
1999 - Denver, CO - Rocky Mountain Summit: Partnerships and Collaboration to Foster Retention
1998 - San Diego, CA - New Horizons: Learning from the Past, Preparing for the Future
1997 - Kansas City, MO - Show Me: From Advising Theory to Practice
1996 - Washington, DC - Advocacy & Innovation in Academic Advising
1995 - Nashville, TN - Academic Advising: Patterns in the Present...Pathways to the Future
1994 - Las Vegas, NV - (Riviera) Reach for the Stars: Global Challenges for Academic Advising
1993 - Detroit, MI - Academic Advising in the 90s: Using Resources Creatively to Serve Diverse Populations
1992 - Atlanta, GA - The Challenge of Change: Empowering Students through Academic Advising
1991 - Louisville, KY - Academic Advising: New Visions for a New Century
1990 - Anaheim, CA - Academic Advising: Continuing Visions, Renewed Commitments, New Frontiers
1989 - Houston, TX - Academic Advising and Institutional Effectiveness
1988 - Miami, FL - Academic Advising: Tradition vs Innovation
1987 - Chicago, IL - Diversity in Academic Advising: Changing Populations/Increasing Standards
1986 - Seattle, WA - Ten Years Later: Academic Advising Reconsidered...Perspectives, Promises, Performances
1985 - Kansas City, MO - Academic Advisors: Responding to a Call for Excellence in Higher Education
1984 - Philadelphia, PA - Academic Advising as a Form of Teaching
1983 - St. Louis, MO - Beyond Change: Managing the Multifaceted Role of the Academic Advisor
1982 - San Jose, CA - Breaking with Tradition: The Advisor as Change Agent
1981 - Indianapolis, IN - Academic Advising: The Pivotal Point
1980 - Asheville, NC - Academic Advising as a Developmental Process
1979 - Omaha, NE - Impact: Advising for the 80's
1978 - Memphis, TN - Impact: Advising Makes the Difference
1977 - Burlington, VT
In addition to the annual conference, each of the regions holds a yearly conference specific to the colleges and universities present in the region. Many states in turn also hold a yearly conference for colleges and universities present in the state.
October 11–14, 2017
St. Louis, MO
September 30 - October 3, 2018
Phoenix Convention Center
October 20–23, 2019
Louisville International Convention Center
October 4–7, 2020
Puerto Rico Convention Center
San Juan, PR
- About NACADA page on NACADA web site
- Beatty, J. D. "The National Academic Advising Association, A Brief Narrative History," NACADA Journal, Volume II(I), Spring 1991
- Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education member associations
- "NCAA and NACADA Partner to Support Academic Reform," NCAA press release, October 18, 2006
- ACT Winter 2007 Activity: NACADA Names Scholarship
- Kansas State University Master in Academic Advising
- Kansas State University Graduate Certificate in Academic Advising
- Clearinghouse of Academic Advising Resources