National Academy of Performing Arts (Pakistan)
|Type||Public art school|
The National Academy of Performing Arts (Urdu: قومی کالج انجام دینا هنر, abbreviated as NAPA) is an performing arts school located at Hindu Gymkhana in Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. NAPA was established in 2005 as an institution to conserve and teach performing arts and music.
- At NAPA, the students of music derive benefit from being taught by a faculty consisting of practicing musicians, musicologists and visiting maestros. They will also have the opportunity to enrich their repertoire of compositions and styles by tutelage under many teachers.
- Theatres Arts
- The Theatre Arts department will offer students academic courses in all aspects of the theatre as well as practical exploration and the opportunity to present their work before an audience.
- NAPA offers lessons in classical dancing (Odissi).
- Make up
- NAPA has also introduced lessons in Make up.
Zia Mohyeddin is the Chairman of NAPA. He was asked by Pervez Musharraf, then the President of Pakistan, to establish and lead a national institution for arts and music. Besides being the founder and chairman of NAPA, he has impeccable credentials. Trained at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, he has spent a lifetime dedicated to the theatre, films and television, appearing in many local and foreign productions. He has also performed in numerous Broadway and West End plays. He has also produced and directed extensively.
- Talat Hussain
- Rahat Kazmi
- Khalid Ahmad (acting teacher)
- Nafees Ahmad (sitar teacher)
- Bashir Khan (tabla teacher)
- Salamat Hussain
- Shehzad Ghias Shaikh
- Uzma Sabeen
- Araslan Pervaiz, guitarist and composer
- Haneen Rafi (6 February 2015). "NAPA celebrates 10th founding anniversary". Dawn (newspaper). Retrieved 7 February 2018.
- 5 reasons to attend NAPA International Theatre and Music Festival 2017 Dawn (newspaper), Published 15 March 2017, Retrieved 7 February 2018
- NAPA inaugurates new Basement Playhouse The Express Tribune (newspaper), Published 31 January 2017, Retrieved 7 February 2018
- NAPA music festival gets under way Dawn (newspaper), Updated 27 February 2015, Retrieved 7 February 2018