National Adaptation Programme of Action
This article needs to be updated.(August 2016)
A National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA) is a type of plan submitted to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) by Least Developed Countries, to describe the country's perception of its most "urgent and immediate needs to adapt to climate change". NAPAs are not supposed to include original research, but use existing information and include profiles of priority projects that are intended to address those needs that have been identified.
The Least Developed Country Fund (LDCF) was established to finance the preparation of NAPAs and to implement the projects that they propose. The LDCF currently has resources of at least US$415 million, of which US$177 million has been approved for 47 projects, attracting more than US$550 million in co-financing in the process.
NAPAs are meant to provide LDCs with an opportunity to identify their "urgent and immediate needs" for adapting to climate change. As part of the NAPA process, LDC government ministries, typically assisted by development agencies, assess their countries’ vulnerability to climate change and extreme weather events. They then develop a prioritized list of adaptation projects that will help the country cope with the adverse effects of climate change. LDCs that submit NAPAs to the UNFCCC then become eligible for funding through the Least Developed Countries Fund (LDC Fund) for NAPA projects. The LDC Fund was designed through the UNFCCC to specifically assist least developed countries, as they are particularly vulnerable to the effects of climate change. To date, forty five LDCs have written and submitted NAPAs to the UNFCCC, with Nepal as the latest country to submit its NAPA in November 2010. Three more countries (Angola, Myanmar, and Timor Leste) are scheduled to complete their NAPAs by the end of 2011.
- UNFCCC: National Reports, http://unfccc.int/national_reports/items/1408.php retrieved 16 November 2011
- UNFCCC: National Adaptation Programmes of Action, http://unfccc.int/national_reports/napa/items/2719.php retrieved 16 November 2011
- UNFCCC Database of NAPAs, http://unfccc.int/cooperation_support/least_developed_countries_portal/submitted_napas/items/4585.php retrieved on 16 November 2011
- UNFCCC Database of NAPA priorities, http://unfccc.int/cooperation_support/least_developed_countries_portal/napa_priorities_database/items/4583.php retrieved 16 November 2011
- GEF website: about the LDCF, http://www.thegef.org/gef/ldcf retrieved 16 November 2011 Global Environment Facility
- "UNFCCC Conference of the Parties, Seventh Meeting" (PDF).
- "UNFCCC Conference of the Parties, Article 4.9".
- "UNFCCC, NAPAs Received by the Secretariat".
- "Global Environment Facility, Least Developed Countries Fund".
|This environment-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|