National Aerospace University – Kharkiv Aviation Institute
This article does not cite any sources. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
17, Chkalova str., Kharkiv, Ukraine, 61070,
National Aerospace University – "Kharkiv Aviation Institute" , NAU "KhAI" (Ukrainian: Національний аерокосмічний університет імені М. Є. Жуковського «Харківський авіаційний інститут», ХАІ; KhAI) is a university in Ukraine which specializes in aviation and space engineering. The KhAI was founded in 1930. For admission of international students, the University works with agents who are responsible for the admission and accommodation related matters.
Its history is closely connected with the development of aircraft engineering and science in the Soviet Union. The university is famous for its creation of the first in Europe high-speed airplane with a retractable landing gear and the creation of the design of the turbojet engine developed by teacher of the KhAI A. M. Liulka who afterwards became the academician and designer of many structures of aircraft engines including the engine of the aircraft Su-27.
The KhAI is a unique higher educational institution where the airplanes developed by the Institute Design Bureau under the supervision of professor I. G. Neman were produced serially at the aircraft plants and run on passenger airlines.
From 1977 to 1984 the Designer General O.K. Antonov ran the department of airplane structure at the KhAI.
In 1978 the KhAI was given the name of N. Ye. Zhukovskiy. In 1980 the institute was awarded with the order of Lenin. In 1998 the N. Ye. Zhukovskiy State Aerospace University “Kharkiv Aviation Institute” was founded on the basis of the KhAI and in 2000 the University got a status of the National higher education institution and was renamed the National Aerospace University ″Kharkiv Aviation Institute″.
At present about 9500 students and 160 post-graduate students are trained at the university; 650 teachers and 2.5 ths employers work here. Among them there are 120 professors and candidates of science. Among the teachers of the university there is one USSR State Lenin Prize winner, seven USSR State Prize winners, 28 Ukraine State Prize winners, 11 USSR Council of Ministers Prize winners.
- Faculty of Aircraft Engineering
- Faculty of Aircraft Engines'
- Faculty of Aircraft Control Systems
- Faculty of Rocket and Space Engineering
- Faculty of Aircraft Radio electronic Systems
- Faculty of Economics and Management
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty for International Students
- Distance Education Cemetery
- Bachelor's degree – 4 years
- Specialist Degree – 1/1.5 years (depends on the specific training programme) after B.Sc.
- Master's degree – 1.5/2 years (depends on the specific training programme) after B.Sc.
- Candidate of Science (Ph.D.) – 3 years after M.Sc. or Specialist Degree
- Doctor of Science – 3 years after Ph.D.
The majority of NAU KhAI Training Programmes are provided in Ukrainian and Russian. But NAU KHAI also have a set of International Oriented Studies (IOS) Bachelor's and Master's of Science Programmes in English (full list you can find on Official website). For international students NAU KHAI has 1-month Training Programme at the Preparatory Department for further study at University in Russian.
Memberships and programs
- European and Global International Associations and Communities (International Association of Universities (IAU/UNESCO), European Group of Aeronautics and Space Universities (PEGASUS), The Magna Charta of the European Universities, International Association of Technical Universities from CIS Countries,Academic Association of CIS Countries Higher Education, European Aeronautic Science Network (EASN))
- Bilateral cooperation (Technion Research and Development Foundation LTD (Israel)
- EU Framework Programmes
- TEMPUS Programme
- Dual Degree Programmes with World Leading Universities
- Working and Training Abroad for KhAI Students and Staff
- Educational Programmes for Foreign Citizens
According to the reports, and reviews obtained from International students and graduates, National Aerospace University – Kharkiv Aviation Institute (KhAI) does not provide the same quality of education to International students as it provides to the Ukrainian students studying in Russian medium. Moreover, the degree given by this University is not well recognized in India because Association of Indian Universities (AIU) is no more providing equivalence for Ukrainian degrees.
- Official website for International students
- Research cooperation
- Aerospace Research and Education at NAU KhAI