National Aluminium Company
|Public Sector Undertakings|
|Traded as||NSE: NATIONALUM|
|Industry||Mining, Metals, Power|
|Sridhar Patra(Chairman & MD)|
|Products||Aluminium, Alumina & Hydrate|
|Revenue||₹ 11,386 crore |
|₹ 1,732 crore  (2018-19)|
|Owner||Government of India|
Number of employees
|6,385 (June 2019)|
National Aluminium Company Limited, abbreviated as NALCO, (incorporated in 1981) is a Navratna group ‘A’ CPSE having integrated and diversified operations in mining, metal and power under Ministry of Mines, Government of India. Presently, Government of India holds 52% equity of NALCO.
It is one of the largest integrated Bauxite-Alumina-Aluminium-Power Complex in the Country encompassing bauxite mining, alumina refining, aluminium smelting and casting, power generation, rail and port operations .
The Company is the lowest-cost producer of metallurgical grade alumina in the World and lowest-cost producer of Bauxite in the World as per Wood McKenzie report. With sustained quality products, the Company’s export earnings accounted for about 42% of the sales turnover in the year 2018-19 and the Company is rated as 3rd highest net export earning CPSE as per Public Enterprise Survey report.
To face the challenges of ever-evolving market and position the Company in a sustainable growth path, a new corporate plan has been developed with well-defined 3 year action plan, 7 year strategy & 15 years vision of being a Premier and Integrated Company in the Aluminium value chain with strategic presence in Mining both domestic & global, Metals and Energy sectors. The Corporate Plan has chalked out a roadmap for multifold growth in revenue and Profit by 2032.
As a responsive Corporate, the Company is harnessing renewable energy aligning to the ambitious programmes of Govt. of India. The Company has already commissioned 198 MW wind power plants and further 50 MW wind power plants are in pipeline, making it the highest producer of renewable energy among PSUs.
NALCO is headquartered at Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
NALCO operates from two major Units
- Mining and Refinery (M&R) complex
- Smelter and Power (S&P) complex
- Port Facilities at Visakhapatnam and Paradip.
- Wind Power Plants
- Gandikota, Andhra Pradesh - 50.4 MW (2.1MW, 24 nos. WEGs)
- Ludarwa, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan - 47.6 MW (0.85 MW, 56 nos. WEGs)
- Devikot, Jaisalmer, Rajasthan - 50 MW (2 MW, 25 nos. WEG)
- Sangli, Maharashtra - 50.4 MW (2.1MW, 24 nos. WEGs)
- Solar Power at Nalco Corporate Office, Bhubaneswar & NALCO Research & Technology Center, Bhubaneswar
- Regional offices at Kolkata, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai & Bangalore
- 10 operating stockyards at various locations in the Country
Main products of NALCO are as follows
- Alloy Ingots
- Wire Rods
- Cast strips
Alumina & Hydrate
- Calcined Alumina
- Alumina Hydrate
- Aluminium Rolled Products
- Aluminium Chequered Sheets
- Thermal Power
- Co-generation Power
- Wind Power
- Solar Power
As on June 2019, out of 6,385 employees on the Company's roll, there were 1,038 (16.25%) SCs, 1,179(18.45%) STs and 808 (12.65%) OBCs. The total number of female employees in the organisation stands at 354.
- To be more resilient to the vagaries of market, the Company has prepared a New All-Weather Business Model. It has extensive plans for brownfield and greenfield expansion projects, which include the ongoing 5th Stream Refinery project of 1 MTPA capacity in existing Alumina Refinery at Damanjodi (Brownfield), development of Pottangi bauxite mines, Utkal D&E coal mines in Odisha, establishment 5 lakh TPA brownfield Smelters in Odisha.
- As part of backward integration, the Company is establishing a caustic soda plant in JV with Gujarat Alkalies & Chemicals Limited (GACL) in Gujarat and a CT Pitch plant in JV with NINL in Odisha.
- The Company has formed JV Company named ‘Angul Aluminium Park Private Ltd’ (AAPPL) with Odisha Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (IDCO) to give a boost to ancillary, upstream & downstream products related to aluminium industry.
Research & Development
- NALCO Research & Technology Centre (NRTC) is located at Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- The Company pursues its R&D activities fervently and has already filed 36 patents out of which 17 patents have been granted and 5 have been commercialized till Dec 2018. As a part of its effort to convert waste to wealth, the Company is endeavoring to salvage iron concentrate from red mud, Gallium from spent liquor. The Company has also successfully commissioned a first of its kind de-fluoridation process based on nano-technology to de- contaminate the effluent water of Smelter solving a long standing fluoride contamination problem of the area.
NALCO has developed four mobile apps:
- Nisarg - Nalco Initiatives for Social Awareness and Responsible Growth
- Naginaa - Nalco Grahak Information and Networking App for All
- Namasya - Nalco Micro And Small enterprise Yogayog Application
- Hamesha Nalconian - App for the Retired employees of NALCO
- The Company, while climbing the ladder of success has strived hard to play a significant role in the socio-economic development in its operational areas through empathetic CSR activities. Rehabilitation of displaced families, employment, income generation, health care and sanitation of local people, education & skill development, providing safe drinking water, development of infrastructure, pollution control, environmental measures, rural development, promotion of arts, crafts & culture and various humanitarian good will missions have earned NALCO a place of pride in the corporate world and was awarded the SCOPE Meritorious Award for CSR from Hon’ble President of India in Apr’17.
- For effective implementation of CSR activities, NALCO has set up a standalone Foundation in 2010.
- It has spent Rs. 325 crore towards CSR activities till 2017-2018.
- Notable efforts in field of Education includes Indradhanush scheme, where the Company has sponsored 920 tribal children of Maoist infested Damanjodi sector and provided education to them in 3 reputed residential schools. 416 meritorious girl students of BPL families at Angul and Damanjodi sector have been adopted with financial support by the Company under ‘Nalco ki Ladli’ scheme in line with Govt’s ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ Mission.
- Recognizing the healthcare needs as one of the critical need, NALCO is operating 8 MHUs (Mobile Health Units) in peripheral villages of its plants by which more than one lakh patients are treated freely every year. Going a step ahead, the Company is also setting a secondary modern eye care hospital at Angul and a Night Shelter in AIIMS, Bhubaneswar for attendants of indoor and OPD patients availing long term treatment.
- Responding to the call of Govt of India, NALCO actively participated in Swachh Bharat Abhiyan by constructing 479 toilets in various districts of its operating areas and has also taken up a noble initiative to make 11 periphery villages completely Open Defecation Free (ODF) in Damanjodi and Angul sector.
- The Company has taken the responsibility of Shri Jagannath Temple, Puri & its surrounding under PM’s Iconic Shrine Development Programme to upgrade the infrastructure & maintain cleanliness with special emphasis on Renovation and beautification of Gandhi Park as a tourist spot, temple illumination, beautification of Puri town with thematic painting based on Jagannatha culture and battery-operated vehicle in railway station for differently-abled passengers and sick people.
- First Mines Safety Award-1988 by DGMS
- Best Eco-friendly Factory Award 1994–95 to the Mines and Refinery Complex by Odissa State Factory Inspectorate
- State Award-1995 to Captive Power Plant from state Factory inspectorate for Environment Management
- Indira Priyadarshini Vrikshamitra Award-1994 from MOEF, Govt. of India, for afforestation and wasteland development
- FICCI Environment Award for Environment Conservation and Pollution Control- 1996–97
- WEC-IIEE-IAEWP Environment award −1997 for contributing towards environment protection
- Gem Granite Environment Award for −1997-98 by FIMI, New Delhi for Mines
- Shri Sita Ram Rungta Memorial Social Awareness Award-1997-98 by FIMI, New Delhi
- Pollution Control Excellence Award – 1998 by Odisha State Pollution Control Board for Mines
- Special Commendation under Golden Peacock Environment Management Award 1998 Scheme by World Environment Foundation
- State Award for Best Occupational Health Centre to S&P Complex'-1998
- Best Safety Performance Award to CPP by CII (ER)- 1999–2000
- The prestigious Dun & Bradstreet's Best PSU Award – 2012 in Non-Ferrous Metal Category.
- Outstanding CSR Practices in Community Development – Odisha CSR Summit 2016
Right to Information Act
- "Nalco gets D&B best PSU award". 2 June 2012.
- "No information on corruption in Nalco: RTI reply". 5 November 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Information Philosophy in NALCO". Retrieved 5 November 2013.