National Art Gallery (Caracas)
The National Art Gallery (Galería de Arte Nacional; GAN) also known as Gallery of National Art is located in the Plaza Morelos area of Caracas, Venezuela. The museum opened in May 1976. In 2009 it moved to a new building designed by Carlos Gómez de Llerena, Venezuela's largest museum building.
The museum was housed until 2009 in a neo-classical building near Los Caobos Park. The building was designed in 1935 for the Fine Art Museum (Museo de Bellas Artes). by Carlos Raul Villanueva, one of the best-known architects of Venezuela. The facade incorporates reliefs by Francisco Narváez, Venezuela's first modernist sculptor.
In 2009 President Hugo Chavez inaugurated a new building for the National Art Gallery, allowing the Fine Art Museum to reoccupy its old building.
The museum has been extolled as a “patriotic celebration of national artists” reminiscent Venezuelan society.
There are more than 4,000 pieces in its eleven rooms (arranged in a circular layout), with international and Venezuelan art. It has paintings of more than 40 Venezuelan artists. The works include pre-Hispanic pieces, colonial-era paintings, sculptures, and Venezuelan works of modern art.
Temporary exhibitions exhibit artistic culture from pre-Hispanic times to the modern kinetic art. Meyer Weismann of Caracas held his first solo exhibition of Venezuelan culture in this museum. Other famous artists whose work is exhibited in the museum are Arturo Michelena, Armando Reverón, Carlos Cruz Diez, Pájaro and Jesús Soto. The museum’s most notable piece is Michelena’s 1896 painting of Francisco de Miranda in a Spanish jail, Miranda en La Carraca.
- Fodor's South America, 7th Edition. Fodor's Travel Publications. 7 November 2006. pp. 732–. ISBN 978-1-4000-1648-8. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- Elizabeth Gackstetter Nichols; Kimberly J.. Morse (2010). Venezuela. ABC-CLIO. pp. 281–. ISBN 978-1-59884-569-3. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Galería de Arte Nacional". Lonely Planet. Com. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- Fodor's Travel Publications, Inc (7 November 2006). Fodor's South America, 7th Edition. Fodor's Travel Publications. pp. 732–. ISBN 978-1-4000-1648-8. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- Kohn, Beth (2007). Lonely Planet Venezuela. Lonely Planet. pp. 68–. ISBN 978-1-74104-545-1. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "National Gallery of Art". The Embassy of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela in the United states of America. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- Mercer Human Res Consulting, Inc. (20 March 2009). The Global Manager's Guide to Living and Working Abroad: Western Europe and the Americas: Western Europe and the Americas. ABC-CLIO. pp. 283–. ISBN 978-0-313-35884-5. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Gallery of National Art". Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- Kristin G. Congdon; Kara Kelley Hallmark (2002). Artists from Latin American cultures: a biographical dictionary. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 310–. ISBN 978-0-313-31544-2. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Galería de Arte Nacional.|