National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions
This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (February 2021)
Chief Executive Officer
The National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions (NAFCU) is a U.S. trade organization representing the nation's federally-insured credit unions. The NAFCU hosts conferences, publishes original research on issues relating to the credit union industry, and provides testimony before the United States Congress on issues relating to credit unions and the financial services industry.
The organization was founded in 1967 and is headquartered in Arlington, Virginia.
The NAFCU supported the CFPB Rural Designation Petition and Correction Act (H.R. 2672; 113th Congress), a bill that would amend the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act to direct the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) to establish an application process that would allow a person to get their county designated as "rural" for purposes of a federal consumer financial law. One practical effect of having a county designated "rural" is that people can qualify for some types of mortgages by getting them exempted from the CFPB's qualified mortgage rule. The NAFCU argued that the bill "would be helpful to small creditors, including credit unions, offering mortgages with balloon-payment features in underserved areas, because it would allow them to satisfy the rule’s 'ability to repay' requirements." The NAFCU thought that the application process described by this bill would make "the process for obtaining a rural designation fairer and more transparent."
The NAFCU supported the Credit Union Share Insurance Fund Parity Act (H.R. 3468; 113th Congress), a bill that would expand federal deposit insurance to include Interest on Lawyer Trust Accounts (IOLTAs) and similar escrow accounts housed within credit unions. Vice President of Legislative Affairs Brad Thaler said that "we applaud the committee for taking the steps today to advance regulatory relief for community institutions and hope that this will be the start of an ongoing effort." The NAFCU said that the bill "would advance parity for accounts in credit unions and banks protected by the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund and FDIC Bank Insurance Fund" which "reflects a key element of NAFCU's five-point plan for credit union regulatory relief."
The NAFCU supported the Mortgage Choice Act of 2013 (H.R. 3211; 113 Congress), a bill that would direct the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) to amend its regulations related to qualified mortgages to reflect new exclusions made by this bill. The NAFCU called the bill "bipartisan commonsense legislation." According to the NAFCU, the bill would make changes to a "troublesome definition" found in the Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act that currently results in many affiliated loans not qualifying as Qualified Mortgages. According to the NAFCU, this leads to credit unions not offering such loans which causes consumers to "lose the ability to choose to take advantage of the convenience and market efficiencies offered by one-stop shopping."
- "NAFCU Conference to Provide New Ideas for Growth," Credit Union Times, July 9, 2008[dead link]
- "Will Only The Big Dogs Survive?," Credit Union Journal, July 18, 2007[dead link]
- "" Statement of Brad Thaler, The National Association of Federal Credit Unions," House Committee on Ways and Means Committee". Archived from the original on 2008-08-01. Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "H.R. 2672 - Summary". United States Congress. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- Marcos, Cristina (2 May 2014). "The week ahead: House to hold ex-IRS official in contempt". The Hill. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Dodd-Frank Dispatch: "Rural Area" Designation Would Provide Consumer Financial Protection Laws Relief". BankersWEB.com. 17 March 2014. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "House panel OKs 'rural designation' bill". NAFCU. 17 March 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "CBO - H.R. 3468". Congressional Budget Office. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "NAFCU Lauds House Financial Services Committee Passage of H.R. 3468, the 'Credit Union Share Insurance Fund Parity Act'". National Association of Federal Credit Unions. 14 November 2014. Archived from the original on 6 May 2014. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "CBO - H.R. 3211". Congressional Budget Office. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Thaler, Brad (22 October 2013). "NAFCU letter in support of the Mortgage Choice Act of 2013 (H.R. 3211)". Credit Union Insight. Retrieved 10 June 2014.