National Bank of the Republic of Belarus
|Central bank of||Republic of Belarus|
The National Bank of the Republic of Belarus (Belarusian: Нацыянальны банк Рэспублікі Беларусь, Russian: Национальный банк Республики Беларусь) is the central bank of Belarus, located in the capital city, Minsk. The bank was created in 1922 under the name of "Belarusian Republican Bank" by the Soviet of People's Commissars of Beylorussia, but soon worked under the direction of the State Bank of the USSR. Undergoing reorganizations in 1959 and 1987, the bank appeared in its current form in 1990 after the passage of banking rules upon declaring independence from the Soviet Union.
The bank's activities are regulated in the Banking code enacted in October 25, 2000. Article 25 of the Banking Code, provides that one of the main functions of the NBRB is to ensure efficient, reliable and safe functioning of the interbank settlement system, and prescribes procedures for cash and non-cash settlements in the Republic of Belarus.
The institution made a Maya Declaration Commitment on 3 May 2013 where it outlined a quantifiable commitment to increase the number of adults with bank accounts from its current level of 70 percent to 85 percent by 2015. Additionally, the bank will seek to strengthen financial literacy efforts through specific activities set to be implemented under the Joint Action Plan of Government Agencies and Financial Markets Participants on Improving Financial Literacy of the Population of the Republic of Belarus for 2013-2018.
Chairmen of the National Bank
- Nikolai Omelyanovich (in Belarusian: Mikalai Amelyanovich; 1986, as Belkontora of Gosbank — 1991)
- Stanislav Bogdankevich (in Belarusian: Stanislau Bahdankevich; 1991—1995)
- Tamara Vinnikova (in Belarusian: Tamara Vinnikava; 1996—1997)
- Gennady Aleynikov (in Belarusian: Hyenadz' Aleynikau; 1997—1998)
- Piotr Prokopovich (in Belarusian: Piotr Prakapovich; 1998—2011)
- Nadezhda Yermakova (in Belarusian: Nadzeya Yermakova; 2011—2014)
- Pavel Kallaur (in Belarusian: Pavel Kalaur; from 2014)
- Belarusian Ruble
- Economy of Belarus
- Economy of Europe
- List of central banks
- List of banks in Belarus
- Waits, Douglas (8 October 2013). "National Bank of Belarus launches financial literacy campaign". Cistran Finance. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "AFI official website". AFI. 2011-10-10. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Bank of the Republic of Belarus.|