National Book Critics Circle Award
|National Book Critics Circle Awards|
|Awarded for||"the finest books and reviews published in English"|
|Presented by||National Book Critics Circle|
|First awarded||1975 publications (1976)|
The National Book Critics Circle Awards are a set of annual American literary awards by the National Book Critics Circle (NBCC) to promote "the finest books and reviews published in English". The first NBCC awards were announced and presented January 16, 1976.
Six awards are presented annually to books published in the U.S. during the preceding calendar year, in six categories: Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry, Memoir/Autobiography, Biography, and Criticism. Four of them span the entire NBCC award history; Memoir/Autobiography and Biography were recognized by one "Autobiography/Biography" award for publication years 1983 to 2004, then replaced by two awards. Beginning in 2014, the NBCC also presents a special "first book" award across all six categories, named the John Leonard Award in honor of literary critic and NBCC founding member John Leonard, who died in 2008.
Books previously published in English are not eligible, such as re-issues and paperback editions. Nor does the NBC Circle consider "cookbooks, self help books (including inspirational literature), reference books, picture books or children's books". They do consider "translations, short story and essay collections, self published books, and any titles that fall under the general categories".
The judges are the volunteer directors of the NBCC who are 24 members serving rotating three-year terms, with eight elected annually by the voting members,namely "professional book review editors and book reviewers".
Winners of the awards are announced each year at the NBCC awards ceremony in conjunction with the yearly membership meeting, which takes place in March.
- General nonfiction
- Ivan Sandrof Lifetime Achievement Award
- John Leonard Prize for Best First Book
- Nona Balakian Citation for Excellence in Reviewing
- "About: Supporting Book Criticism and Literary Culture Since 1974", NBCC. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- "NBCC to Add John Leonard Award to Honor First Books; Named After Founding Member" Archived December 22, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. May 2013. National Book Critics Circle.
- "Frequently Asked Questions" (no date), NBCC. Retrieved April 13, 2020.
- "Board of Directors" (no date), NBCC. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- "Membership" (no date), NBCC. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- "National Book Critics Circle: FAQs". bookcritics.org. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "Complete list of NBCC winners and finalists". National Book Critics Circle. Retrieved April 13, 2020.