National Border Patrol Museum
|Location||4315 Woodrow Bean Transmountain Drive
El Paso, Texas
|Website||National Border Patrol Museum & Gift Shop|
The museum was established by a 1979 vote of the Fraternal Order of Retired Border Patrol Officers. The State of Texas issued its incorporation certificate in 1980 as a 501(c) 3 tax-exempt organization. Its first location from 1985–1992 was the Cortez Building in El Paso. From 1992–1994, museum artifacts were in storage awaiting construction of a new building. The current 10,000 square feet (930 m2) space opened its doors in 1994, and is located on 2 acres (0.81 ha; 0.0031 sq mi) of land northeast of El Paso.
This is the only museum solely honoring the Border Patrol, and artifacts cover the agency's entire history. Among the exhibits are weapons and vehicles used, including helicopters. There is a border patrol dog exhibit, an art exhibit and an exhibit of officer badges. Depicted are various methods used by individuals to cross the border between Mexico and the United States.
Membership fees, private and corporation donations, and the purchase of memorial bricks help fund the museum.
No admission fee. Donations accepted.
Gift shop onsite.
Gift Shop accessible online at BorderPatrolMuseum.com/GiftShop/
Hours: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Museums in Texas.|
- "History of Border Patrol Museum". Natl Border Patrol Museum. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- Frommer's Texas. Frommer's. 2011. p. 340.
- "Exhibits - National Border Patrol Museum". National Border Patrol Museum. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- Payan, Tony (2006). The Three U.S.-Mexico Border Wars: Drugs, Immigration, and Homeland Security. Praeger. pp. 73, 74. ISBN 978-0-275-98818-0.
- "Funding". Natl Border Patrol Museum. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- Murphy, Cullen (2007). Are We Rome?: The Fall of an Empire and the Fate of America. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. p. 156. ISBN 978-0-618-74222-6.
- "National Border Patrol Museum Hours". National Border Patrol Museum. Retrieved 2016-05-18.