National Cancer Survivors Day
|National Cancer Survivors Day|
|Observed by||Mainly people in the United States|
|Celebrations||Parades and local observation|
|Date||First Sunday in June|
|2021 date||June 6|
|2022 date||June 5|
|2023 date||June 4|
|2024 date||June 2|
National Cancer Survivors Day is a secular holiday celebrated on the first Sunday in June primarily in the United States of America. The day is meant to "demonstrate that life after a cancer diagnosis can be a reality". Though it is mainly celebrated in the United States, the National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation is attempting to grow its popularity in other countries, with some success.
The National Cancer Survivors Day was first announced by Merril Hastings at the second national conference meeting of the National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on November 20, 1987. Later, Hastings filed the name as an International Class 042 Service, as well as registering with the United States Patent and Trademark Office in the name of Pulse Publications.
The first National Cancer Survivors Day was held on June 5, 1988.
Local towns, cities, hospitals, and support groups usually host events and celebrations on National Cancer Survivors Day. Celebrations can include parades, carnivals, art exhibits, contests, and testimonies to honor local cancer survivors.
Antigua and Barbuda have included a walk and run as part of their celebrations since 2007.
The National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation is attempting to expand the holidays celebrations worldwide, with some limited success. Countries targeted include Canada, the Cayman Islands, Antigua, Trinidad, Tobago, Saint Lucia, Italy, The Netherlands, India, Malaysia, Guam. Australia, South Africa, and the American Samoa.
- "The Official Website: National Cancer Survivors Day." National Cancer Survivors Day: A Celebration of Life. 2008. The National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation. 30 June 2008 <https://www.ncsd.org/>.
- "Origin of National Cancer Survivors Day." National Cancer Survivors Day. COPING magazine. 30 June 2008 <http://www.nationalcancersurvivorsday.com/body_index.html>.
- For Immediate Release. Franklin: National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation. Press Release 2008.
- "Antigua & Barbuda to Celebrate National Cancer Survivors Day." Antigua Sun [St.John's, Antigua] 15 May 2007. 7 Oct. 2008 <http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=view&sun=370619108205152007&an=233340088305152007&ac=Local>.
- "TELETOON: Children of Gilda's Club Animate What's on Their Minds!" Marketwire [Toronto] 30 May 2006. 9 Oct. 2008 <http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Teletoon-Canada-Inc-597145.html>.
- "National Cancer Survivors Day." Department of Health and Human Services: Center for Disease Control and Prevention. 30 June 2008. United States Department of Health and Human Services. 9 Oct. 2008 <https://www.cdc.gov/CANCER/survivorship/what_cdc_is_doing/ncsd.htm>.
- "NCSD Around the World." National Cancer Survivors Day. May 2008. The National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation. 10 Oct. 2008 <http://www.ncsdf.org/Pages/World.html>.
8.^ "National Cancer Survivors Day - June 2, 2019 - Faces of Cancer St Lucia. Theme: Moving On and Up.
Activities: Round the Island Tour, Mountain Climbing - Gros Piton (2579'), Beach Picnic - Soufrière."