National Capital District (Papua New Guinea)
National Capital District
NCD in Papua New Guinea
|Country||Papua New Guinea|
|Established||16 September 1975|
|• Governor||Powes Parkop|
|• Total||240 km2 (90 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,500/km2 (3,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+10 (AEST)|
The National Capital District of Papua New Guinea is the incorporated area around Port Moresby, which is the capital of Papua New Guinea. Although it is surrounded by Central Province, where Port Moresby is also the capital, it is technically not a part of that province. It covers an area of 240 km² and has a population of 364,125 (2011 census). It is represented by three open MPs and an NCD-wide representative in the National Parliament of Papua New Guinea who acts as Governor of the National Capital District; however, these MPs do not have the same powers as elsewhere in the country due to the role of the National Capital District Commission.
The National Capital District did not have a decentralised administration with a Premier, as with the other provinces, prior to 1995; however, since the 1995 reforms of provincial governments it has been headed by a Governor, albeit one with more limited powers.
|run by managers||1999–2001|
|run by managers||2001–2006|
- Papua New Guinea 2000 Census: Western. National Statistical Office. p. 7.
- "Census Figures by Wards - Southern Region". National Population & Housing Census 2011. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "National Capital District (Port Moresby)". One PNG. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "Provinces". rulers.org. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "Census Figures by Wards - Southern Region". www.nso.gov.pg. 2011 National Population and Housing Census: Ward Population Profile. Port Moresby: National Statistical Office, Papua New Guinea. 2014.
- "Final Figures". www.nso.gov.pg. 2011 National Population and Housing Census: Ward Population Profile. Port Moresby: National Statistical Office, Papua New Guinea. 2014.