National Cat Day
|National Cat Day|
|Observed by||International and Internet|
|Date||October 29th (annually)|
|Related to||Gotcha Day|
National Cat Day was founded as a way to bring awareness to the number of homeless cats. It is a celebration that takes place on August 8th in Canada, or October 29th in the United States. The National Cat Day website states that the holiday was first celebrated in 2005 "to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of cats that need to be rescued each year and also to encourage cat lovers to celebrate the cat(s) in their life for the unconditional love and companionship they bestow upon us." The day is founded by Pet and Family Lifestyle Expert, Colleen Paige supported by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, a nonprofit organization which also works to encourage pet adoption.
International Cat Day, August 8th, was created in 2002 by the International Fund for Animal Welfare. World Cat Day is celebrated on February 17th in much of Europe, on March 1st in Russia, and Cat Day is unofficially celebrated on February 22nd in Japan.
- Chase's Calendar of Events, 2011 Edition : The Ultimate Go-to Guide for Special Days, Weeks and Months: The Ultimate Go-to Guide for Special Days, Weeks and Months. McGraw Hill Professional. 9 September 2010. ISBN 978-0-07-174027-2.
NATIONAL CAT DAY. Oct 29. Every year approximately 4 million cats enter shelters—and 1–2 million are euthanized. Often cats are overlooked and under-appreciated because they don't usually have jobs like dogs. Yet cats still lower blood pressure ...
- Visser, Nick (October 29, 2013). "National Cat Day 2013: It's Time To Celebrate Our Feline Pals". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "INTERNATIONAL CAT DAY: How we help cats in Playa del Carmen - IFAW - International Fund for Animal Welfare". www.ifaw.org. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- Green, Treye (9 August 2014). "International Cat Day 2014: Cat Lovers Worldwide Celebrate Feline Obsession". International Business Times. IBT Media Inc. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Blasi, Giulia (30 April 2012). "World Cat Day?". Vogue Italia. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
|This holiday-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|