National Cat Day
This article may be confusing or unclear to readers. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|National Cat Day|
|Observed by||International and Internet|
|Date||October 29th (annually)|
|Related to||Gotcha Day|
National Cat Day is an awareness day to raise awareness of homeless cats.
It takes place on August 8th in Canada, or October 29th in the United States. The National Cat Day website states that the holiday was first celebrated in 2005 "to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of cats that need to be rescued each year and also to encourage cat lovers to celebrate the cat(s) in their life for the unconditional love and companionship they bestow upon us." The day is founded by Pet and Family Lifestyle Expert, Colleen Paige supported by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, a nonprofit organization which also works to encourage pet adoption.
International Cat Day, August 8th, was created in 2002 by the International Fund for Animal Welfare.International Cat Day, sometimes referred to as World Cat Day, is celebrated in many countries around the world including most european countries, Australia, India and the U.S. and is growing worldwide. Some countries have their own days to celebrate cat day. Russia celebrates World Cat Day on March 1st  and Cat Day is unofficially celebrated on February 22nd, a fun day to celebrate cats that started in Japan and is growing worldwide for the fun social aspect of the day. 
- Chase's Calendar of Events, 2011 Edition : The Ultimate Go-to Guide for Special Days, Weeks and Months: The Ultimate Go-to Guide for Special Days, Weeks and Months. McGraw Hill Professional. September 9, 2010. ISBN 978-0-07-174027-2.
NATIONAL CAT DAY. Oct 29. Every year approximately 4 million cats enter shelters—and 1–2 million are euthanized. Often cats are overlooked and under-appreciated because they don't usually have jobs like dogs. Yet cats still lower blood pressure ...
- Visser, Nick (October 29, 2013). "National Cat Day 2013: It's Time To Celebrate Our Feline Pals". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- "INTERNATIONAL CAT DAY: How we help cats in Playa del Carmen - IFAW - International Fund for Animal Welfare". www.ifaw.org. Retrieved August 10, 2017.
- Green, Treye (August 9, 2014). "International Cat Day 2014: Cat Lovers Worldwide Celebrate Feline Obsession". International Business Times. IBT Media Inc. Retrieved August 10, 2014.
- "International Cat Day | Holiday Smart". www.holidaysmart.com.
- Bašić, Marko (March 14, 2016). "National Cat Day: Russian Cats and Their Glorious Day in Russia".
- "Cat Day | Holiday Smart". www.holidaysmart.com.
- Allen, Jordan (February 22, 2016). "These are the amazing things you can do in Japan on Cat Day". BBC News.
|This holiday-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|