National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research
|Formation||25 May 1998|
|Headquarters||Vasco da Gama, Goa|
|Dr. M. Ravichandran|
The National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR) is an Indian research and development institution, situated in Vasco, Goa. It is an autonomous Institution of the Department of Ocean Development (DOD), Government of India which is responsible for administering the Indian Antarctic Program and maintains the Indian government's Antarctic research station, Maitri. NCAOR was established on 25 May 1998, with Dr. P C Pandey as its founding director. NCAOR is known for its participation in global experiments, hosting of international conferences and in the leadership of international committees concerned with Antarctic science. At present, NCAOR is an agency working under Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India since 2006, by the notification of the President of India.
NCAOR complex is a home to a special low-temperature laboratory and is setting up a National Antarctic Data Centre and a Polar Museum.
The NCAOR operates in different fields or tasks:
- storing ice core samples, from Antarctica and the Himalayan Mountains.
- operating the Himadri Arctic research station in Spitsbergen, Norway.
- managing the oceanic research vessel ORV Sagar Kanya, the flagship of India's fleet of oceanographic study vessels. This ship has contributed significantly[vague] to India's study of the Arabian Sea, the Bay of Bengal, and the Indian Ocean.
- it supported the KBCAOS, University of Allahabad from initial stage of establishment up to the final stage of the center as full fledged faculty center, in form of a project as per collaborative work with the University.
- "Professor Prem Chand Pandey's profile at NCAOR web page as founding Director/1st former Director". Professor Prem Chand Pandey's profile at NCAOR web page as founding Director/1st former Director
- 10th Foundation day of NCAOR Dr. P C Pandey stated as Founder and Former Director
- “Dr. Prem Chand Pandey, Emeritus Profesor, Ph.D (Allahabad University), Founder Director NCAOR GOA, INDIA. Centre for Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere and Land Sciences IIT Kharagpur Faculty Page
- Allahabad Registered(1860)Alumni Association-Proud Past Dr. P. C. Pandey, NCAOR Founder Director
- Antarctica team to leave on Friday. The Times of India, 12 December 2003, Prem Chand Pandey Director NCAOR at the Time.
- Mission Antarctica. Frontline, December 04–17, 2004, Dr. P C Pandey Founder Director NCAOR
- Sagar Kanya begins Indian Ocean expedition to study tsunami impact. The Hindu, 7 January 2005, Dr. Prem Chand Pandey Founder Director NCAOR
- Reaching the final frontier. Frontline, 25 October–7 November 2003, Dr. Prem Chand Pandey Founding Director National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research(NCAOR)
- Shri Kapil Sibal, Honourable Minister of State (Independent Charge), S&T and Ocean Development visited Antarctica from 2nd to 4th of February 2005, the first ever visit by an Indian Minister. Dr. Prem Chand Pandey, the then Director, National Centre for Antarctic & Ocean Research(NCAOR) was one of the member of the delegation as on DOD Web Page.
- http://ncaor-arctic.ncaor.org:5050/website/index.html NCAOR Arctic Research
- "came in existence with joining P C Pandey as Centre Director". (PDF) Antarctic Study Centre came in existence with Dr. Pandey